QLC+5 Dump Output to a Scene

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
giacomo

As for now v.5 is missing one of the most important function: Dump to a Scene.
I've tried to ask in the forum a year ago and no workaround for it.
Would it be possible to implement it?
giacomo

Maybe an idea:
in Dmx View or 2D View it's already present the output of the scenes being played in Virtual Console but the function "Dump on a new Scene" gets activated only for the channels that are modified.
I was thinking that we could add a new function like "make all the channels active" for the selected fixtures, in Dmx View or 2D View,
then like usually use the "Dump on a new Scene" button again.
At least this seems a simple and fast way to dump the output.
We can later deactivate the channels not needed in the scene properties.
Screenshot from 2022-07-20 20-55-14.png
Not sure if It should dumps values from Simple Desk as well. it's useful to have an independent section.
giacomo

dear Massimo,
this is my last request for now and I'm willing to start using qlc+5 very soon.
I miss the way to dump the VC output to a new or an existing scene, like it's for Simple Desk.
It's a fundamental feature for dance/theatre (little size productions): usually we all together start to improvise during the rehearsals and it seems not realistic to rebuild each time the VC output in the 2d View.
The fastest solution would be to have a feature like "snap shot" for the output, or at least as written above a feature like "make selected fixtures active".
It could be implemented in the Fixtures & Functions tab, it's nice that the programming function are in the dedicated tab.
Thanks 1000
Last edited by giacomo on Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GGGss

(possible helpful: I use a QLC+ v4 on another lappie scooping the DMX values and dump them into scenes for recollection later...)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
giacomo

I've also copied cues from consoles with qlc+4 in the past, it's one of the reasons because I do this feature request.
My goal is to use v.5 and not v.4
mcallegari

Should I implement this exactly like v4 or is there something that can be improved?
GGGss

Would it be complex to dump the Current Output (the Look) to an .XML file (instead of a scene inside QLC+) and a possibility to import that file?
Now, while importing that file a neat little interface asking you what has to be imported.
I have to study the v5 structure a bit more, so asking what you want to be imported could be extended to groups, palettes, presets ?

I think this all points back to a sort of tracing-ability. If you dump, it enumerates all running functions __and__ the source or reason why that function runs. <- this might get very complex...
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
giacomo

@ Massimo,
when you say like v.4 you mean as well the v.4 widget?
v.4 dump is versatile but super frustrating - for me, I would prefer to do these operations, at any time, directly in the 2D View.

As written above, 2D View is already monitoring the output so I was thinking about a function like "Make Channels Active" for the selected fixtures.
"Make Channels Active" would correspond to select all the channels of a fixture in v.4 Dump.
Then we will use the "Dump on a new Scene" as usual > > where you can filter what parameters you want to record.

"Make Channels Active" would help a lot during normal scene recording because now "Dump on a new Scene"
(1) becomes active only when modifying something and (2) is writing only the modified parameters.
So one has to go in scene editing to activate/set all the other channels not reachable in the 2D View.

"Make Channels Active" would add the ability to copy the output for the channels not touched (1) and the possibility to capture all the fixture channels in one action (2).
- eg. I could prepare few sliders with "beam effect" and "shutter/strobe" that are not editable in the 2D view -
It's faster to select/deselect what to record in the 2D view than in a widget list.

If possible, we can also simplify it further: "Dump on a new Scene" > becomes > "Dump on a Scene"
What if the "Dump on a new Scene" gets these options and it becomes active as soon one selects something?
Including the possibility to overwrite a scene?
This way we'll use the same function to do all these output/record/overwrite operations.
giacomo

Hi Massimo and warm wishes for the new year.
Any news about this feature?
If it's too long or complicate to rework it, please implement it as in v4. as you suggested.
Better this option than anything.
giacomo

I've a good news!
The dump function to update/modify an existing scene is already implemented in 2D view, it's showed at the end of this old video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-UhT793fTw
I've done some tests and it seems to work very well.

Soon the 2D widgets will update to the output values for the selected fixtures, as requested here:
viewtopic.php?t=15934

So the solution for an effective output dump seems to be quite close now:
for the moment we've to modify each values for the dump widget to get activated but indeed we need just a way to activate globally the selected fixtures in the 2D View, eg. with a dedicated button, because the widget itself has filters for these parameters.
This would allow us to dump the output to an existing scene in a super fast way, it'd be a great feature in v.5 usability...