When does QLC+ send DMX frames?

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
theoBreakspear

Hello,

I'm doing some shows in a venue where I've been told by the venue staff that "you must make sure you are always sending a signal to all of the moving heads when they are powered on or they will re-index themselves, start turning on and off at random and screw everything up for the next person". Do not ask me why, all I know I've dealt with enough small venues of this kind to know it's easier to just accept their very stupid setups. It's a single universe rig, so I understand what they have told me to mean that I just need to make sure that I have everything in the rig set with the correct channels in my fixtures list in QLC+, that I'm sending DMX frames to the universe before I power the rig on, that I only stop sending frames once the rig is powered off, and that if the moving heads are powered on but not receiving frames then they will all try and set themselves to some default start channel and I'll probably have to deal with a furious venue manager and spend a lot of time up a ladder re-programming everything.

My question is - I am using QLC+ with an Entec DMX USB pro. At what point does QLC+ start and stop sending frames? Are frames sent continuously as soon as an output device is set and only stop if the output device is de-selected or QLC+ is closed? Or are frames only sent when in operate mode or when settings are changed in Simple Desk and therefore I need to make sure that I only work in design mode while the rig is switched off?

Many thanks!
GGGss

I guess they have issues with (a) fixture(s) who are set to master/slave, which is bad... or they have RDM enabled fixtures, which should keep their previous setting in memory, but the internal battery may be dead...

To my knowledge, as long the EntTec is powered (and your DMX line is connected) it sends full frames continuously.

I just tested it for surety and here is the right sequence:
* Power your laptop / computer
* Connect the EntTec
* Open QLC+ (make sure that the EnTtec is detected in the in/output tab and that that universe is set as output - if not already)
+++ From now on the DMX frames are sent
* Power your rig
done

DMX frames are sent whatever you do in QLC+ (whatever mode).
DMX frames are being sent even when you close QLC+.
Do NOT disconnect the DMX line. (EntTec will continue to send frames, but the DMX line goes into 'high' state and signal is lost of course)
Do NOT disconnect the EntTec from your computer.
... And for that reason, I suggest you get yourself an UPS - if it's all that critical.

[edit]
Now that I think of it ... another solution would be to get a DMX splitter/repeater powered by and UPS. Now you are failsafe - even when the computer dies for one reason or the other.
[/edit]
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
theoBreakspear

GGGss wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:29 am I guess they have issues with (a) fixture(s) who are set to master/slave, which is bad... or they have RDM enabled fixtures, which should keep their previous setting in memory, but the internal battery may be dead...

To my knowledge, as long the EntTec is powered (and your DMX line is connected) it sends full frames continuously.

I just tested it for surety and here is the right sequence:
* Power your laptop / computer
* Connect the EntTec
* Open QLC+ (make sure that the EnTtec is detected in the in/output tab and that that universe is set as output - if not already)
+++ From now on the DMX frames are sent
* Power your rig
done

DMX frames are sent whatever you do in QLC+ (whatever mode).
DMX frames are being sent even when you close QLC+.
Do NOT disconnect the DMX line. (EntTec will continue to send frames, but the DMX line goes into 'high' state and signal is lost of course)
Do NOT disconnect the EntTec from your computer.
... And for that reason, I suggest you get yourself an UPS - if it's all that critical.

[edit]
Now that I think of it ... another solution would be to get a DMX splitter/repeater powered by and UPS. Now you are failsafe - even when the computer dies for one reason or the other.
[/edit]
Thank you that is absolutely fantastic info!