Akai APC Mini mk2 - Feedback Channels and options

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
tavonmarkov

Greetings to everyone.

I want to thank anyone who has posted in the past regarding setting the APC Mini mk2 up. I was able to get up and running rather quickly.

Heres one I havent seen in the forum.

Assume an 8x8 matrix of buttons.
All 64 buttons are assigned to each APC Mini button.
Can 6 rows be assigned to MIDI Ch 7,
while the last 2 rows are assigned to MIDI Ch 10 for slow blink?
Or perhaps Custom Feedback Lower Value to MIDI Ch 7, and Upper Value assigned to MIDI Ch 10?

Thank you all!
Yestalgia

Have you done any experiments yourself?
rajones203

I have been working on this trying to figure AKAI’s crap out. Unfortunately It’s my busy season with work and the progress has been distracted and fractured at best. I wish they could just have software like KORG built. That tool is VERY useful to customize the pad to your liking. It seems AKAI went, oh everyone wants to use this for Ableton…

The best way I’ve found (so far) with minimal setup is to use a program like MIDIPipe.

I hijacked the inputs and routed them to Virtual Outputs and routed them to virtual MIDI devices.

I then can name the pads differently, and use them as the I/O for QLC.
But you’ve kind of hit the same wall I have here…. I want to output a different channel message for the Track and Scene buttons (since they do not respond to Ch.7, only the RGB pads do)

Go look at the MIDI documentation:

https://cdn.inmusicbrands.com/akai/atta ... 20v1.0.pdf

It gives you details on how to send the specific message to each pad. I plan on making a custom feedback number that will trigger MIDIPipe to send a feedback message to the pad on channel 1 for those specific buttons. I’ll let you know how it goes, I just finished reading that through and synthesized it.

Unless someone can shed some light (HaHa) on how to clone a midi output. I haven’t been able to do it without introducing feedback loops, etc…

Let’s tackle these stupid pads together and we will all have Kick-A consoles.

This will also open up Pandora’s box for customization I think. I would like a blinking button when a scene is active in certain situations.. didnt even know the pad offered it until I accidentally switched the channel to 10 while troubleshooting
______

Russell Jones
TV Professional - EVS, Producer/Director
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
GGGss

This would -indeed- be a very good idea.
The hours I've spent on configuring a Novation MK -I don't know what number- for 1 show!!
I switched over to a real desk. QLC+ v. ?? very ancient.

I think I still have a video on tuubtuub somewhere ... [edit] here ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owhSSTZC-UA&t=72s [/edit]

The thing is thou, that no one uses their tools the same.
The other thing is thou, that if you (we) provide a solution, users will expect support, and having them to install this and that and http://www.copperlan.org/index.php/download (your midi-output solution), it will be massive.

I am asking myself now ... "is QLC+ a jigsaw puzzle with great satisfaction outcome?" - hence the numerous users we seem to have?
OR is this a tool for some who enjoy making some real pro productions in their spare time as a hobby?
(I even once actively debugged a project for a high-profile dancing company running on QLC+ -go figure the cost budget drop AND I did not get to invoice ;-) - Anyway, it seemed to be a cable problem -sigh- (grmbl: even a professional desk would not overcome this problem hence ...)

If we produce an out-of-the-box-working solution, it will have to be a good one.
There still will be a very very steep learning curve involved.
Some will die to solve the puzzle, others will leave the path, and others will seek out for better integration. I'm the third one :D

I requote myself: "This would -indeed- be a very good idea."
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
tavonmarkov

Better integration would be nice. And I would love to jump into a standalone system... But QLC has always been a puzzle and I seem to get good results as it is.