Artnet configuration for ADJ Flash Kling Batten

Request a fixture definition here
bob60

Hello

I am relatively newbee using this wonderful QLC+ software and I need your help.

My setup runs with an ArtNet hub (Showtec NET 2/3 Pocket) with two DMX universes 2 and 3.
It works fine with QLC+ 4.12.4

I bought two second-hand ADJ Flash Kling Batten (40 x 4 led panel) which have the particularity of being directly connected by RJ-45 ArtNet cable and not having a configuration panel with keypad.

I find very little information on the net about these discontinued led bars
https://www.adj.com/flash-kling-batten

The good news is that these panels also work with my configuration in universe 1, in the 2.0.0.0/8 network, daisy chained with the Showtec NET 2/3
The bad news is that these panels react the same way, replicating the same matrix pattern.

ADJ Flash Kling Batten's 6-page manual states that you must use Artist License's DMX-Workshop tool to configure the network of these fixtures
I downloaded the DMX-Workshop but it does not identify the ADJ panels, while it recognizes the Showtec NET 2/3 hub

I really need to change the universe of one of the ADJ Flash Kling Batten so that QLC+ can control them separately (480 channels per panel)
Has anyone ever experienced setting up this kind of "native art-net" led panel?

Is there another way to configure qlc+ to get a 40x8 or 80x4 individual pixel matrix with my two Flash Kling Batten ?

Thank you
Robert
GGGss

Welcome to this forum.

1st: don't pose multiple questions inside the same thread - it might get complicated.

I don't know the logic behind the maker but if they state that you can't mix different fixtures on the same network-cable, I would stick to that idea.
A straight network cable from your computer directly to the first batten.
Start DMX-Workshop.
I hope the program will find your 1st Batten... As there is no indication in the manual to which network address or network segment the batten is listening to, you are in the dark here.
But if you say that the batten reacts to Artnet in the 2.0x.x.x MASK 255.0.0.0. segment, there your luck starts happening...
DMX-Workshop should be able to find the 1st batten now.
Thru this article, I find traces that Wireshark also has some filters for the batten ... https://github.com/wireshark/wireshark/ ... t-artnet.c
Break a leg,

2nd question: See the setup of an RGB matrix inside QLC+, but 1st -> get it in working condition.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
bob60

Thank you Fredje for your quick reply.

I tried again with another PC and a straight cable between this PC and a single Flash Kling Batten.

Nothing to do. The fixture is not detected by DMX-Workshop. Looks like the ADJ is not an Artnet node. Yet the ping radar menu shows an additional address x.x.x.255, but this address does not respond as a website. (for info: even the small Showtec NET 2/3 node has an embedded website to configure it, in addition to the lcd screen and keypad)

Thanks for Wireshark, but I would need more than luck to get anything out of him...
DMX-Workshop also has a packet dessicator which shows me the traffic between the PC and the broadcast address.

By configuring QLC+ with an RGB Panel of 40 columns and 4 rows in universe 0, I quickly obtain nice RGB Matrix effects with the Artnet output on universe 0.
When I connect RJ-45 to second ADJ Flash Kling Batten, it copies the RGB Matrix effect like the first fixture.

To configure a second RGB Panel (480 channels), I have to add a DMX universe in QLC+. But the Batten do not respond to the Artnet 1,2,3 universes. Only 0.

I observed if I configure the output of the Artnet plugin to map DMX universes 1 and 2 to the Artnet universe 0, two RGB matrix effect setted to two RGB panel are superimposed on the identical display of the two Flash Kling Batten.

I would be so happy if these two RGB Matrix could be displayed on each ADJ batten...

I despair of not being able to configure these fixtures to give them a unique identity.
bob60

Well, I found a work around by adding a network interface in another address range.

My two ADJ Flash Kling Batten are configured as 40x4 RGB Matrix in QLC+ universe 1 and 2.

The first network interface has the address 2.0.0.1. It "feeds" the first batten and my Showtec NET2/3 Artnet dmx node with a RJ45 cable in daisy chain.
The second network interface takes the default address 169.254.246.x. It "feeds" the second batten in a point to point RJ45 connection.

The Qlc+ Artnet plugin is configured for DMX universe 1 mapped to broadcast address 2.255.255.255 on Artnet universe 0, while DMX universe 2 is mapped to broadcast address 169.254.246.255 on Artnet universe 0.

Thus, the two ADJ Flash Kling Batten react independently of each other. I can configure my two 40x4 battens into a 40x8 pixels or 80x4 pixels RGB matrix group and display QLC+'s awesome matrix effects that individually drive the 320 pixels array.

I still don't know how to configure my Flash Kling Batten but at least I have the desired result with a $25 USB/Gigabit network interface.
GGGss

169.254.246.x
This cannot be right... but hey - if it works
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
bob60

For information,
I found a cleaner method to operate my two ADJ Kling Batten

I added a wifi router between the QLC+ PC and the batten.
With DHCP enabled, the batten took two weird IP addresses, like 66.194.185.x and 66.192.189.y

I added two static routes in the router, between the "traditional" wifi network 192.168.1.x and the batten addresses.

Thus, QLC+ communicates wirelessly with the battens. There is no latency or glitch in the matrix effects, despite the 960 channels activated several times per second.

The artnet plugin works like a charm.
Thank you so much
GGGss

^^ for future review ^^
This is an unrecommended configuration.
Because of unusual network settings needed to be configured.
Yestalgia

I'm happy to walk though some troubleshooting on a call, just send a message to the @qlcplus instagram.

You will need to configure all addresses to be within the 2.x.x.x range.