"Locate" or "highlight" function

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
marcoman89

Hello!!!
I tried to search this question in documentation and forum too, without success.

So:
is there a way to quickly locate or highlight one or a group of fixtures to test it at the end of the phisical setup or while programming?
Maybe flashing white or set tilt and pan on a 126 (mid) value and open the white channel.

The locate button is very usefull on a chamsys console, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWGjNs-_0pQ

Thanks!!! :)
Marco
mcallegari

Moved to feature requests
GGGss

And welcome to the forum.

The use of the simple desk is your friend here.
No, QLC+ does not have a highlight or locate defined button, but you can use Simple Desk to overrule outputted values while programming.
Don't forget to kill the red X's before going into produce. Otherwise, you'll be baffled and ask yourself: "Where do these values come from?" Simple Desk is the last soldier in line, outputting DMX. It does override everything else.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
marcoman89

GGGss wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:38 pm And welcome to the forum.

The use of the simple desk is your friend here.
No, QLC+ does not have a highlight or locate defined button, but you can use Simple Desk to overrule outputted values while programming.
Don't forget to kill the red X's before going into produce. Otherwise, you'll be baffled and ask yourself: "Where do these values come from?" Simple Desk is the last soldier in line, outputting DMX. It does override everything else.
Hello!!
Thanks!
Obviously I currently use simple desk to check the channels, but a simple button on fixtures page could be very useful.
Maybe adding a right click function to one or more selected fixture...
Thanks!!! ;)
Yestalgia

marcoman89 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:45 pm Maybe adding a right click function to one or more selected fixture...
Haha we both want right click to remain a feature in v5. I think if anything it'll be a 'click and hold' for a context menu.

Massimo has been hard at work bringing QLC+ inline with the big boy consoles, including changing the "Blackout" button to only include intensity channels. I'm sure this is also on his radar.
giacomo

In v.5 is quite easy to do something similar:
prepare one or more cues for all the lights you want to locate/highlight, with all the parameters needed except the intensity,
drop the cue in the VC and you get the corresponding button.
When the button is active, in 2D you select the heads and rise the intensity. Similar effect as LOCATE in chamsys and quite fast as well (once you've the cue).
You can organise yourself to get all the locate/highlights that you need.
If you're new to qlcplus, watch the video no. 7 and see how Massimo has prepared in advance the Virtual Console.
https://www.qlcplus.org/tutorials.html

ps.
I think we've to be practical now and focus to complete v.5, it's already a lot for Massimo.
The locate/highlight function it's easy by itself, the problem is that we have to expand all the fixture definitions to include a section with the values for locate and highlight.
Last edited by giacomo on Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giacomo

another way you can do it:
you can create your customized fixture definitions (use a different name to avoid confusion) with all the default values that you need (position, color, zoom, gobos, lamp, shutter etc.)
when you patch these fixtures, they will be ready according to your chosen default values.
this way you can just to rise the intensity to have light.
I did one time for the FOH because I wanted them all to be in a custom position by default.
it's the same theory as the method before, here instead of preparing a "default" or "locate" cue, you prepare your custom fixture definitions.