SubMaster with multiple pages frame

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
Ayato

Hello everyone!
First of all, a big thank to the community, what an amazing project! and happy new year off course ;)

I have a problem with Frames containing multiple pages:

I have a main Frame which contains a Submaster and another Frame containing 4 pages of 8 faders each which I created by choosing the "clone first page widgets" option for a total of 32 faders.

The Submaster which is in the main Frame only acts on the first page of my SubFrame so only on my first 8 faders and only if page one is selected, if I am on page 2,3 or 4, it does not no longer has any effect.

Everything worked correctly in QLC v4.11.2, ie my Submaster acted on all the pages of my Subframe, therefore on my 32 faders simultaneously, but this is no longer the case in v12.

Is this a bug or did I miss something?

Tested with 4.12.6, 4.12.7 GIT, not working as I expected
Works with version 4.11.2
on macOS 10.15.7

Page 1 with SubMaster all the way up
Page 1 with SubMaster all the way up
Page 2 with SubMaster all the way down
Page 2 with SubMaster all the way down

I attach a simplified test file, open the Monitor for an overview of the problem.
multi_page_clone_submaster_test.qxw
(8.74 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Thank you all!
Ayato

tried other release and it turns out that it stopped working from version 4.12.2,
4.12.1 working properly.
mcallegari

Hi, if you look at version 4.12.2 changelog, I intentionally made that change. Probably some other user reported it to be an unexpected behaviour.
So my question is: what is the expected behaviour here?
I'd appreciate some comment also from other users.
GGGss

I like the way it works now.
I use pages to group features of a movinghead: gobos, colors, presets, iris zoom, ...
When the submaster would kick in, that would give bad outputs for these functions.

Is the option to add a feature to the submaster a possibility?
"Control all frame pages"
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Yestalgia

I think the question here is: what is the purpose of pages?

In my mind, they're serve the following purposes:
  • Allow for more elements to exist on the VC without taking up more space
  • Allow for elements which are similar/related to each other to be grouped in the UI
If you take the first point as guidance for the Submaster, then logically it should behave as @Ayato says. But as @GGGss points out, these pages are often used as groups of similar elements.

I wonder if @Ayato's problem could be fixed by having a submaster on each page which could be controlled by loopback magic? - Perhaps submasters could be allowed to receive input even when the page is not active?
"Control all frame pages"
This would be a clear solution to the problem as well.
Ayato

Hi

Thanx for the answers!

For me a submaster must control everything that is active in a frame, visible or not, hidden does not mean inactive. I think the submaster should work like on a hardware console.

However, Submasters should have no impact on a non-active Frame, it would allow having both possibilities, simply activate or deactivate the Frames in the different pages.
this is how I use it
this is how I use it
mcallegari

Thanks for the feedbacks.
I like the idea of submaster affecting all pages but not widgets inside a disabled frame.
This would avoid adding an extra option.
Ayato

I can't try it since I have trouble compiling qlc but using child->isEnabled() == false in vcframe.cpp could work if I'm not mistaken

In any case, for me, it seems more consistent with the way external controllers work :)
mcallegari

I have just pushed a change with what we discussed: submaster now affects all widgets in all frame pages but only in enabled sub-frames
Ayato

Wow! Thanks a lot!