RasPi as headless controller? QLC+ playing nice with other services?

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
DanfromCanada

I'm volunteering with a community theater that has 0 funds. Most of the time it's a multi-use community space, but movie-watching and concerts are high-priority.

I have about a dozen lights up on pipe. Most of the time they aren't used. House lights are not on DMX yet, that's the next phase.

I want to set up a lighting control system that will be usable for inexperienced volunteers. (Walk in, push button for scene a, b, c.)

I tried QLC+ for our Christmas program theatrical cues running on an old windows laptop, and I'm quite happy with it. (I miss having physical faders, and I was sad to realize I couldn't use the chase/cue crossfader from the web interface, but it worked very well otherwise.)

I got my hands on a Raspberry Pi 4b. I'm using some command-line software (HTWebRemote) to control my audio system power relays, and the Pi is pretty much perfect for this (except it would be a pain to get more of them.)

I'm considering installing QLC+ on the Pi alongside HTWebRemote.

Based on accounts from other users here, QLC+ will be able to run on boot and auto-load a show file. This means I can stash it in a rack to run it from the web UI *and* I should even be able to use HTWebRemote to fire off keyboard shortcuts on the Pi to execute my basic lighting presets for most shows.

I can install HTWebRemote very easily from any Debian (systemd) distro, so I think it will work with whatever image is provided for QLC+ optimization.

Question 1: Does anyone here use QLC+ this way? Am I crazy trying to rely on it in this configuration? (Headless, running on a RasPi with other lightweight control software to execute a few scenes via remote button presses.)

Question 2: Has anyone tried marrying QLC+ with Home Assistant? I'm considering a deeper dive into a control system that could cover things like scheduling thermostat levels. Home Assistant *can* be installed on an existing system, but it's only really "supported" as a system image or a docker container.
GGGss

DanfromCanada wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:19 pm Question 1: Does anyone here use QLC+ this way? Am I crazy trying to rely on it in this configuration? (Headless, running on a RasPi with other lightweight control software to execute a few scenes via remote button presses.)
Seen that, done that, multiple times. Albeit the remote buttons are a mobile phone connecting to the QLC+'s wifi Access Point. The Pi (and wireless router) mostly is included in the House light circuitry. It gets booted when the house lights are enabled.
DanfromCanada wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:19 pm ...cover things like scheduling thermostat levels.
You are kidding now right? QLC+ does not possess a calendar-like control. You would have to fumble around with cron jobs. I would not recommend it.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
DanfromCanada

GGGss wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:52 am
DanfromCanada wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:19 pm ...cover things like scheduling thermostat levels.
You are kidding now right? QLC+ does not possess a calendar-like control. You would have to fumble around with cron jobs. I would not recommend it.
Sorry about the confusion: to clarify: I'm considering installing Home Assistant (python-based home automation control server) on the same RasPi as QLC+, but worried they may not play nicely together.
GGGss

You'll have to dig in the dirt yourself - I cannot react to the combi of home automation and QLC+ on the same machine... As long they don't interfere with the interfaces, it might just work.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore