Intermittent Flickering lights via generic 1.31 interface

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
champagj

I have been using a "generic" low cost interface from 1.31 to DMX.

Manual attached here:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArhChX_42Vfch5B_nCl ... A?e=KTKMtR

This is a relatively simple, residential setup.
I am using 5 fixtures including 2 generic moving heads, a PAR, couple lazer and 1 interface DMX to RGB. They are all powered from the same outlet. I am using short wire runs for power and data

It works great, most of the time. Once I start experiencing flickering, It does it increasingly more until it does not anymore.

I have added/removed fixtures, changed wires, etc. If I remove the interface and use a generic DMX controller in place, all is fine. The one constant issue appears to be related to the interface.
I I am pretty sure upgrading to a ENTTEC or DMXking 1.31 interface will do but they are expensive and currently had to find in Canada.

I suspect power, ground and/or noise gets in the mix. I checked the unit design, no opto-isolation. The DMX ground is directly connected to -5V in.

Any suggestions on steps I can take to find a solution or a confirmation I just need a higher quality interface?

Thanks,
GGGss

I find it disturbing that even now the interfaces are faulty... Ultimately, we'll have to be sceptical about every little thing.

Wasn't there an ESP32 sACN to DMX somewhere?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
champagj

I agree, lots of moving parts.

Glad you mentionned ESP32 sACN to DMX. I could built it but I am a very bad coder. I would look for an implementation that uses a Ehernet shield to do fully wired.
champagj

Quick update: further investigation into the e1.31 to ethernet interface:

The 4 DMX outputs are each driven by a MAX485 chip. On my unit they happen to not be soldered directly on the board but rather mounted a 8 DIP socket.

Universe Output 1 chip = no good. Swap for another one = working again.

I suspect a spike/transiant/static fried the output.
GGGss

I once had a production where the grid (the metal parts on which you mount things to) was constantly under tension ~80VAC. Who or what? I don't know. Galvanic isolation on the DMX interface did work perfectly (until the battery of the laptop died, because the power supply fried itself under these conditions.) That was a very long night!!
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore