Compatibiliteit issue?

The issues found when using the Input/Output Manager panel
jostb

I have two old dimmer packs (rakpak4610) that work well in combination with a MA12/2
Arround 20 conventional spots Fresnell ) are conected to these dimmers, bulbs between 250 and 2000 W.
I want to expand the installation and I have bought a number of LED pars (showtec clubpar 12/6)
The problem is that I can't get the pars to work via the MA12/2 despite good DMX addressing.

Eventually I want to control everything from QLC+. I did manage to control the pars from QLC+ via a USB-DMX converter. The annoying thing is that I can't control the old dimmer packs from QLC+. I'm starting to fear a compatibility problem. : I can't get the old dimmers to work on the modern DMX output of the PC and the new pars don't work on the old nMA12/2
Does anyone know this problem? Or am I missing something?
edogawa

A link to a picture or description of this dimmer pack would help;
I remember Pulsar had a dimmerpack called Rackpak https://gebrauchte-veranstaltungstechni ... ming+-+18C,
and found https://www.musikhaus-korn.de/de/rackpa ... /pd/112714 but nothing for "rakpak4610".

I work with a lot of old dimmer packs from professional vendors like Pulsar, Zero88, Ultralite, even newer chinese ones like Eurolite, Showtec, LitePuter and more, from single dimmers to 4/6/12 dimmer packs, and all of them react fine to DMX, both from several hardware consoles and QLC+ via Enttec DMXUSB mk2 or ODE.
Some of the cheap chinese dimmers sometimes have their issues, but basically it all works.
The LED stuff I use is in the same universe, and the desks I have access to (Compulite Spark 4D, Botex Scenesetter 2448 currently) and QLC+ can control them.

I cannot tell what causes your issues, but I suspect cabling, DMX address or configuration problems (soft patch in the Lightcommander 12/2?)
The manual says each desk channel can control up to 4 DmX channels in the range 1-99. It's an old, but surely capable and flexible board.
jostb

Hi edogawa,
Thanks for your reply.
I have added the only document I could find about the rakpak LDP4610 ( build in 1997) but I am affraid there is not much useable information in it.
the only thing I can think of is that I have accidently have changed the phase (pin 1 and 2) in a 5 to 3 pin XLR adaptor cable I have made. But I am not aware of problems that may be cause by changing the phase. Are you?
Attachments
dimmerpack ldp4610.pdf
(707.11 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
edogawa

Sorry no, I never messed with changing pinouts in DMX.

I seem to remember I've read here in the forum about some vendors reversing RX and TX pins (assuming that's what you mean by changing phase) but honestly I'm noot good enough in electronics to know if that could even work when mixing such equipment. As it's a digital protocol I rather suspect it can't...
GGGss

jostb wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:01 am Hi edogawa,
Thanks for your reply.
I have added the only document I could find about the rakpak LDP4610 ( build in 1997) but I am affraid there is not much useable information in it.
the only thing I can think of is that I have accidently have changed the phase (pin 1 and 2) in a 5 to 3 pin XLR adaptor cable I have made. But I am not aware of problems that may be cause by changing the phase. Are you?
I assume, you set up the base address and after that every channel is base+ 1. So channel 1 of your dimmer pack with a base address of 11 eqauls DMX address 11.
DMX polarity IS important. Switching / swapping data wires will break the cable. Use a spare male XLR and measure on the pins on the XLR on the other end of your cable. Pins 2 & 3 need to be in correct order. GND hot cold is DMX pin out.

There was a time in history where US-made devices had the DMX polarity swapped. Always look out for ancient stuff with the polarity switch in mind. This could well explain why you MA12-2 desk worked. Swap that used cable and you notice that the LED pars no longer function.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
edogawa

my bad i said RX TX while it's unidirectional really, sorry I really should spend a bit attention when posting in the morning, while just starting drinking my coffee...
GGGss

-null-
Last edited by GGGss on Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
GGGss

edogawa wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:34 pm my bad i said RX TX while it's unidirectional really, sorry I really should spend a bit attention when posting in the morning, while just starting drinking my coffee...
Edgar - apologies accepted throughout ;-)
jostb

Hi Guys,
problem is solved! There is no compatibility issue. I must say that I am a little ashamed but I had a twisted adaptor cable. ( pin 2 xlr 3 to pin 3 xlr 5 and pin 3 xlr 3 to pin 2 xlr 5). When I changed the cable, everthing was working fine. So the conclusion is that DMX is 'polarity' sensitive.
Anyway, thanks for your input: it gave me a push in searching in this direction and solving my problem.

best regards, Jos