Raspberry Pi Desktop Application

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
gekoshell

Hi all,
Just wondering if the paid raspberry pi build comes with a .deb package or other way to install QLC in a desktop environment?
If so then I'd be more than happy to pay for this version, else I'll have to try and find a workaround.
mcallegari

Hi, yes, it comes with a deb package and instructions how to install it in a desktop environment.
ace

I am thinking of purchasing the Raspberry Pi version of QLC+. I will be using it on a Raspberry Pi 4B. I simply want to control to 2x Stagg headbangers over Artnet. Sorry if this seems obvious, but I just want to clarify, 1) Does the Pi version operate directly on the Pi itself with the regular user interface? (not having to connect to servers / web interfaces). 2) Does the Pi version support Artnet? Apologies if this seems like stupid questions that have been answered above, but Im not too sure what a deb package is (although I presume it's like a dmg installer for mac). Thanks for your time.
janosvitok

1. yes if you need it so.

2. yes, artnet is supported

deb is a package for linux distributions based on debian (ubuntu, raspbian,...) Compared to DMG, debs do not have the UI, but are much powerful IMHO.

In short, .deb ("Debian package") is a file that contains all the required files for an application, lists all other required packages (like libraries) and information
how and where to install them. Contrary to DMG, it also contains information how to remove the application automatically and even how to verify whether
the application is still properly installed (no corrupted/missing files).

That deb package is just part of the raspberry image that Massimo provides. The image contains the base operating system and customizations to make QLC+
work as fast as possible.

Jano
Blitzbat

I am thinking of purchasing the raspberry pi version too. But i have experienced some problems with the video playback. It could be that my system or my build is not optimized. The video playback stutters and it's playback is very slow.
Does this works in the official build smoothly? I have a raspberry pi 3b+.

Thanks!
Blitzbat

Does the playback of videos work smoothly with the official image?

Thanks
mcallegari

ace

Hi Guys. So I got the Pi version of QLC, installed it on the desktop platform & so far it seems to be working great. I read the documentation that came with the Pi version & I don't see anything regarding what I am after. 1) I have a workspace (.qxw) that I would like to autostart when the pi boots. 2) How can I get the workspace to start in fullscreen? I originally installed the .img file directly onto the sd card. That worked well, qlc started up right away and in fullscreen, but I couldn't access my usb drive with my saved workspace on it. And obviously I would need qlc to startup in my workspace. If anyone can offer some assistance, I'd really appreciate it.
edogawa

I've set up a Pi to do just what you want to achieve, and it runs headless, 24/7 since almost six months, without issues.

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=294014 describes how to autostart desktop apps on Raspberry Pi OS since Buster.

On my RPi images, I tend to change DE and install LXQt, which offers a GUI way to do that, via its configuration manager, in the Desktop session settings module.
There you can comfortably select the program to autostart, and edit the commandline options to your liking, and activate or deactivate that entry via checkbox.

The QLC+ Documentation lists the possible options, and you can always run

Code: Select all

qlcplus --help
in a terminal to get them displayed.
You'll want something like

qlcplus -f -o </path/to/your/file.qxw>
To autostart a light show/installation/presentation, add "-p" to automatically senter operate mode, and inside your QLC workspace set up an start function (that green flag icon in function manager).

I seem to remember a similar GUI configuration method in LXDE, as I've set up that same RPi for an exhibition three years ago, under default Raspbian Buster, to autostart omxplayer and play a video endlessly in a loop via shell script. But I forgot details.
MDAR

I don't know if this helps you, I use a service file to start QLCplus at boot and restart it if it crashes out or accidentally closed by a user.

(Includes a VNC Scrapper server for remote access)

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14384&p=59959&hilit=Odroid#p59959

I've just setup an Intel based headless machine and it's running rather well.

A few minor glitches with some patterns, but it's more stable than the self compiled version I had been running on an ARM64 machine.
ace

edogawa wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:39 am I've set up a Pi to do just what you want to achieve, and it runs headless, 24/7 since almost six months, without issues.

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=294014 describes how to autostart desktop apps on Raspberry Pi OS since Buster.

On my RPi images, I tend to change DE and install LXQt, which offers a GUI way to do that, via its configuration manager, in the Desktop session settings module.
There you can comfortably select the program to autostart, and edit the commandline options to your liking, and activate or deactivate that entry via checkbox.

The QLC+ Documentation lists the possible options, and you can always run

qlcplus --help
in a terminal to get them displayed.
You'll want something like

qlcplus -f -o </path/to/your/file.qxw>
To autostart a light show/installation/presentation, add "-p" to automatically senter operate mode, and inside your QLC workspace set up an start function (that green flag icon in function manager).

I seem to remember a similar GUI configuration method in LXDE, as I've set up that same RPi for an exhibition three years ago, under default Raspbian Buster, to autostart omxplayer and play a video endlessly in a loop via shell script. But I forgot details.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! You gave me all the tools I required to accomplish what I needed. It's working exactly how I wanted it to. I can't thank you enough!! Im so happy. It's working like a charm!!