Dmx output via RS485 capable Mainboard?

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
shivahoj

Hello all, maybe I am missing something important here:
is there anything more than a glorified isolated USB to RS 485 converter in all these DMX Adapters?

Because my Mainboard (MSI MS-9871 (v1.x) Industrial Computer Board, running the latest debian ) has no less than 10 serial ports, of which 4 can be set to RS485 mode.
Of course it would be lacking electrical isolation, but why are these not usable as DMX ports? They go up to 2.5MBaud, and the data rate control is very fine grained(via a PLL divider, I think). The chip is a F81865G, which is well known to the linux community , and makes all its ports available.
But they do not show up in QLC.

Or, to ask in a different way: _IF_ serial ports could do the requested Data rate(250k, AFAIK), can I just turn them into a DMX port with a level shifter, like a MAX485?
I Guess I COULD tinker with the udev rules in linux , making QLC think there is a genuine DMX adapter, when it is just a serial port...
What am I missing?
Fixture: GLP Impression Spot one w/ Artnet/DMX (2x)
Macbook pro, OSX 10.13.4, QLC+ 4.12.2
Generic touch screen PC, with debian 10 linux, QLC+ 4.12.2
MIDI: AKAI APC40, Doepfer pocket fader, Radium 49 Keyboard
DMX: enttec USB pro
janosvitok

Any RS485 adapter can indeed be outputting DMX (provided it can generate required timing). The problem here is that QLC+ probably does not know how to use the adapter.

Few things you may try:

1. use OLA as artnet to dmx translator
2. download QLC+ sources, uncomment this line, compile and install