Simple way to control via Android App?

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
etsnyman

Hi there!

I am looking into getting into lighting. I have already bought 8 par cams and will be upgrading my lighting system even more very soon (8 is enough for my needs right now).

However, before I get a DMX controller, I was wondering if I could remotely control my lights wirelessly using an Android app, QLC+, a USB DMX dongle, and a WiFi network.

Is this possible? I have done some Googling, but haven't found a definitive answer.

I would really like to do this via some form of Android app, since I can already control my sound via such an app. I was hoping my lights could be the same.

I would really appreciate any kind help.

Thank you in advance.
mcallegari

andres robles

Hello, I can think of another solution that can also serve you, if your lighting design is not very complex. you can install an app on android type jostick for games, create your scenes in qlc, and assign as external control the jostick buttons of your android app .. look for game controls that connect to the pc wifi and qlc recognizes them with plugin HID ... Greetings
zfriedman

The simplest possible solution would probably be to use Teamviewer. It runs on Mac, PC, Linux, Android, and iOS. Its a really great cross platform remote control software that's free to use for non-commercial applications. It does not control one application (like QLC+) specifically but rather the whole operating system that QLC+ is running on. The only requirement is a reliable internet connection on both the target computer and your android phone. you can download it here: https://www.teamviewer.us/downloads/

good luck
etsnyman

Thank you all for your friendly replies.

At this stage the web interface might be the best solution.

I have a follow-up question: Has anyone used the Artnet plugin? How does it work? Can one use it with some or other Android app?
GregMcC

Hi just looking at this post - Nobody to date has mentioned QLC's Raspberry Pi solution. Massismo has spent a lot of effort creating it and it means that you can have a USB dongle connected to your RaspberryPi AND have Massismo's app controlling the DMX - then you can control the Raspberry Pi remotely using the built in web interface. It's a neat solution.

( I have found it particularly useful for setting up lights - when you are standing at the top of the ladder - and can reach into your pocket to switch a particular light ON or OFF. )
DownBeat

Hi,
I have been able to install qlc+ on an OrangePi under Debian Bookworm.
The web option works now, but if I trigger any buttons in the web interface nothing happens.
My debug view shows actual triggers being activated and deactivated, but ever since nothing happens.
Buttons have no color frame in comparison with the GUI when triggered.
The same project works under the GUI version seamlessly.
I'm using an USB to DMX Cable which is recognized by both.
One thing to notice is that the web version's simple desk works fine, but the buttons from the project won't.

As for now I'm only controlling 1 E-Lektron M004-30. At the beginning I used generic Fixture profile with 11 channels, but then I've tried to use the fixture editor to properly list the unit in the library.
It worked both well in the GUI but no change over websocket whatsoever.
I don't know how to generate further debugging since "-d" mode shows no errors.
The browser shows some error when at the Main page (attached).
I'm also attaching the project file and the newly created fixture.

Hope somebody can tell me what I'm doing wrong or what should I do additionally to achieve signal flow from the web project tab.
Attachments
E-Lektron-M004-30.qxf
(1.88 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
default2.qxw
(8.05 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Screenshot from 2022-11-03 12-45-14.png
GGGss

An instant crash on opening your project had me have a look at the project file in text version.
Are you aware that you only send out 11 channels on the DMX bus?
Did you start operate mode?
I tried your project on my M$ machine, and works as designed.
I can connect the web interface, I can have buttons pressed, when I press buttons in QLC+ the web remote shows the changes...
When I look at the DMX monitor, values are sent out.

(I'd suggest you put the buttons in a solo frame, nut that is off topic here).
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
DownBeat

*Facepalm* "Operate mode" - of course. I was looking at tthe Web with no luck to find this, but eventually there is a "-p" parameter at start.
Thank you so much! Everything works as expected.

This small unit has 2 modes - 9 and 11 channels - it's M004-30 from E-Lektron. I've made the Fixture according to the manual.

Btw, how did the project crash? Is there any logs?
It's loading as normal here.
GGGss

It loaded at your end because the DMX interface is present in your surrounding ;-)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore