Improve Internal Function Integration

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
randrew0

I've been using QLC+ to light musicals very successfully for the past 10 or so years. It works great, and I love it. BUT, given the way that newer shows integrate sound, light, and videos, there are a couple of areas that could be improved.

AUDIO: Recorded accompaniments for musicals are getting better every year, and lots of us out here in Community-theatre-land have to use them. Give us an easy way to set an audio file to keep running to the end despite any subsequent light or video cues. Today, running a light cue after a song begins stops the playback. Yes, I know it can be done as a show, but I'm hoping for something a little more flexible than that. Maybe just a check box in the audio function dialog would probably suffice.

VIDEO: QLC+ plays videos very well but there are a couple of problems relating to "what to do when QLC+ reaches the end of the video file". As it currently stands I can tell QLC to loop the file or to run it once. However, there is no way to tell QLC to leave the final image from the file on the screen instead of going to black. This is necessary if you're using video to project backgrounds onto a screen behind the performers. There is also no way to cross-fade from one video to another--something that's often necessary in musicals. It seems to me that a couple of additional check boxes in the video function dialog could be set up to tell the program what to do next: one-shot, loop, pause, or cross-fade.

I spent the past summer struggling with Show Cue System which integrates lights, video, and audio relatively well but the lighting UI is hideous and runtime can be glitchy. I spent a lot of time wishing I could run the show using QLC+ instead. Anyhow, these are my thoughts after that awful experience.
GGGss

First of a question: Do you know the existence of collections? With a collection you can start as many functions you like by pressing 1 button. This would solve your audio problem and light cue lists/chasers. The audio started will keep playing...
randrew0 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:09 am leave the final image from the file on the screen instead of going to black
Grab the last frame of the video or make a screenshot. Use this image right after the video. Cue list step duration unlimited. Fixed. Now you will find it difficult to fade this image out...
randrew0 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:09 am There is also no way to cross-fade from one video to another--something that's often necessary in musicals. It seems to me that a couple of additional check boxes in the video function dialog could be set up to tell the program what to do next: one-shot, loop, pause, or cross-fade.
If multiple video sources are demanded, I use an external video switcher. You cannot expect a light desk to be true video worthy. Video is a separate discipline in the business. Next you will start asking of QLC+ be able to warp, incut, divide video streams with zero latency up to 10 partial screens...
randrew0 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:09 am I spent the past summer struggling with Show Cue System which integrates lights, video, and audio relatively well but the lighting UI is hideous and runtime can be glitchy. I spent a lot of time wishing I could run the show using QLC+ instead. Anyhow, these are my thoughts after that awful experience.
Every game needs its appropriate tools. You even haven't started talking about pixel rendering color ability, Resolume, Madrix, ...
The expectations of the industry is getting very demanding but the budgets do not grow adequately. If they need light, audio and video then the crew grows with an A1 and a V1 or V2.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
randrew0

First of a question: Do you know the existence of collections? With a collection you can start as many functions you like by pressing 1 button. This would solve your audio problem and light cue lists/chasers.
First, an answer: yes, I do know of collections, and they're a great way to run several cues at the same time. Unfortunately, if you run a collection as part of a cue list, you have the same problem that I noted above--when you invoke the next cue everything in the collection stops. If you're running a number that has numerous videos or lighting changes or both that have to run during the song you have a problem unless, of course, I'm missing something here.
Grab the last frame of the video or make a screenshot. Use this image right after the video. Cue list step duration unlimited. Fixed.
This works to preserve the last bit of the video, however, when you run it as the full-length video ends the screen momentarily goes black. Hence my next request.
If multiple video sources are demanded, I use an external video switcher. You cannot expect a light desk to be true video worthy. Video is a separate discipline in the business. Next you will start asking of QLC+ be able to warp, incut, divide video streams with zero latency up to 10 partial screens...
Untrue. I understand that creating and editing video is a whole different ballgame from lighting, and I know that trying to do all the activities you describe in QLC+ would be ludicrous. Video creating and editing would continue to use software suited to that purpose. All I want is for QLC to be able to accommodate two additional ways to end a video: pause on the last image or crossfade to the next video in the cue list. Doesn't sound unreasonable or un-doable to me.

Your final suggestion would add more personnel to the technical crew. Small community theatre groups and schools like I work with don't have the money available to hire one or two new techs, and finding additional volunteers who are willing to learn their part of the show (audio or video) and run it at every one of 8-21 performances is just about impossible.

It's not like I'm asking for a major rewrite of the software, just a couple of new modifications OR develop a process for doing what I've described that actually works and then publish it so we can all benefit from the knowledge.
thibaultphil

Hello,
For streaming video from QLC, I run a DOS command that plays the video through VLC. Beforehand I configured vlc by indicating stop video on the last image. I have no solution for the fade and would ask.
GGGss

@randrew0 - I get your point and I surely understand what burdens you run into.
Did you consider changing your workflow to a main chaser + sub chasers structure? The main firing the sub chasers. In your case of the video, the main chaser fires your video (as a sub chaser through loopback commands) and another chaser controls your lights. Since both are fired, they can run independently of each other at their own pace. Selecting the next step inside the main chaser can (but doesn't have to) influence the sub chasers (stopping the sub for light but letting the video run till the end...)
Trying to help you :)
When I'm committed to plays or dance acts, I always use the main-sub-chaser structure. It helps me divide the production setup into main chapters and sub-cues. During rehearsal, it also helps me quickly jump from one part to a completely another part because of performers, preps, ... not being ready or the like...
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
DavidGrc

randrew0 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:09 am [...]

I spent the past summer struggling with Show Cue System which integrates lights, video, and audio relatively well but the lighting UI is hideous and runtime can be glitchy. I spent a lot of time wishing I could run the show using QLC+ instead. Anyhow, these are my thoughts after that awful experience.
For the little theater i work for, i choose to work with both, QLC+ 4 and SCS. Both communicate thanks Loopmidi (easier than OSC to me).
You can also use Multiplay instead of SCS (but you already have it).

I tried VPT8 for vidéos, but it crashed a lot.