XY Pad to follow singer live on stage

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
benjynet

Hello, I discover this wonderful software and this is my first post because I can't perform an action.
The situation: I have 2 wash beams on the front which are pointed at the singer in the middle with a scene. I would like using the XY pad to follow the singer manually when he moves, while having the beams which remain focused on the same point. Today if I use XY pad, it assigns the same DMX values to the 2 washes and they are therefore no longer focused on my singer.
I don't know if i'm clear !
Thanks a lot
Ben
GGGss

Ben,

Welcome to this forum.
Let's assume your washes are mounted symmetrically to the focal point, a movement in 2D space means that this has to be interpolated into 3D vectors.
So using the 2D XY pad, will work for you only using 1 wash. The 2nd one will have to be vectored by calculation (which QLC+ lacks).
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
janosvitok

This should be possible to implement in QLC+5 since there is some knowledge of 3D space (currently only used for visualizer IIRC).
benjynet

Well, I didn't think it was so complicated to set up because you see it everywhere on stage in concerts. One or more lyres pointed at the singer and followed live.
And if we focus several moving head on a point, can they follow an EFX while remaining on the same point ? I think it's not possible like with my singer :)
janosvitok

Normally, each follow spot has its operator that keeps the light on the singer. They even have special line of intercom for communication...
GGGss

... and on top of that, if you want to omit the follow-spot-operator pool, you need a (very) complex array of sender/receiver antenna's try to pinpoint the tags attached to the artist's clothing.
I have done a dance performance that way and it killed our budget totally. Never thought it would become so complex that fast.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
janosvitok

Ben,

have a look at this project: https://github.com/sandinak/dmx-followspot
(I have not ued it myself, just found it on the internet).

Jano
Centauri

I had a similar requirement, where I have 4 moving heads to highlight performers for solos etc. I put a row of buttons in a solo frame and set each button to focus the lights on particular spots across the stage - when the performer moves sideways, select the next button in the line. The more buttons you have, the finer the control. Seems to work well in practice.