DMX USB Dongle choice.

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Windows operating system
Rockbyter

Sorry if this has been asked before, had a look but didn't find anything. Background: New user, aged and retired, not been in to lighting before and my Daughter sings in pubs and clubs. I bought a couple of QTX Par 180 led lights and have really only been playing about for my own learning. Borrowed a Obey 40 and used it to try DMX programming and though a useful tool it has none of the functions I really want like being able to time certain scenes etc. QLC+ seems a good tool and am enjoying learning how it all works though a steep learning curve at times. I want to get a USB to DMX interface but only a cheap one at this stage so was looking at https://www.amazon.com/IMRELAX-Interfac ... B07GFDDTHL some good reviews and some not so good, anyone used one or can recommend a better one for similar money? Don't want to lay out much at this stage as it will only be used for these 2 lights.

Thanks in advance for any pointers, already made my fixture files so hope it will all work.
GGGss

Jeremy, Hi

If only 2 lights are involved, a uDMX interface may suit your cause. Since you are craving to do more - done that, seen that- you would might invest a $100 more to a more robust interface...
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Rockbyter

Thanks, I thought it might be the case. In this scenario I would simply keep the cheap one as a get out of jail free card in case of a fault. Really impressed with this software and well done to the people who must have literally spent years on the development. Tried V5 beta but couldn't get my head round it. It is giving me a buzz just having something to work with in retirement.

Again thanks for the folk involved in bringing this to us.
keukenrol

I have two cheap ones, one like you linked and another one with the transparent USB connector case. Running about 250 channels from it without issue. As far as I understand the main thing is that the cheap dongles rely on the pc speed for the communication timing, rather than an onboard clock.
I would not use it for professional productions, but have used it plenty on smaller occasions at home or with friends without issues.