Click and Go on RGBW / A UV and on Color Selection in General

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
FunzelFrickler

Hi there!

I'm working my way through QLC+ 4.12.x and what I actually find an appealing feature is the Click and Go color selection. However, I'm quite a bit confused.

I got a couple of Eurolite LED BAR-3 HCL fixtures and I managed to create a profile for those. They feature a 6-channel RGBWAUV mode. However, the Click and Go function only works properly when I use the chanels R, G, and B. As soon as I activate W also, I can't get proper colors any more, white is always mixed in. Now this doesn't make sense to me.

How is this function meant to be used? I mean, what's the amber channel good for, if I can't use it?

Actually I think a good style of color picking would be a one-dimensional color slider. Since the brightness is already handled by the fader. This could then be mapped on a DAW controller so that an encoder knob would select the color on the slider and the fader would adjust the brightness.

But for now… what is the suggestion to properly use RGBWA(UV) fixtures?

Best
Frickler
GGGss

QLC+ was developed well before RGB (+W) (+A) (+UV) fixtures found their way to the world.
So the Click & Go doesn't take care of the extra LEDs inside your fixtures.
But for now… what is the suggestion to properly use RGBWA(UV) fixtures?
The old fashion way: Do it by eye-sight
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
edogawa

It's stated elsewhere in this forum and in the manual that the Click&Go color picker only supports RGB channels so far.

Seemingly it's no trivial programming task to include additional color channels for that, otherwise it would have been implemented already. it's definitely well beyond my poor programming skills.

I usually set up a frame with a RGB Click&Go slider and single channel sliders for Cool White and Amber, I don't have access to any LED fixtures with more colors than that, currently. I find that to work good enough for my needs in theater show programming. When using a MIDI controller, I often even prefer using faders for all individual colours as that's quicker for me to recreate or match a color I am looking for.
FunzelFrickler

Getting back to this over a year later... now trying RGB WW fixtures new on the market (Stairville Retro Flat Par 18x12W RGB WW). Turns out that any color selection beyond RGB does not work with the QLC+ Click&Go function. (I'm still on 4.12.3, but I can't find this mentioned in the changelog of the later versions.)

So far I have been using an American DJ SceneSetter 2412, which served me well for many simple tasks. Quite obviously, the limitation of these simple hardware consoles fully comes to play the more color LEDs you start using.

What brought me back to QLC+ is that I start converting to ArtNet (also ArtNet via WLAN, which appears to be one of the few ways to do DMX wirelessly without ending up embarrased) and all but the very large hardware consoles are out of the game now. So I dug deeper and created myself my first virtual console with which I feel quite alright. For the start I use a Behringer X-Touch Mini controller. For simple tasks I plan to use the MIDI capabilities of my Allen&Heath mixing console.

And it would be really nice to have a color picker that can deal with more than RGB now.

Anyways... huge thanks to Massimo. QCL+ is a great piece of software nonetheless that enables me to do things I couldn't do without. Also since I'm a die-hard Linux user, so other DMX software is out.