chaser does not work as expected when triggering sequences for fx

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
fedemgh

Hi everyone!
I have a question about how to create effects within a cue list. I've been searching this forum and can't find an explanation. I don't know if this is an issue or a bug, or my lack of knowledge.

Imagine that I want to create a strobe effect, and I want its intensity to go up little by little after the previous scene. let's say enter in 2 seconds. in such a way that the strobe effect reaches its maximum intensity after 2 seconds:

What I would try to do is create a sequence with two steps:
1-light channel on 100%, fade-in 0ms, hold 1s, fade-out 0ms
2-same channel off, fade-in 0ms, hold 1s, fade-out 0ms
I would then add the sequence to a chaser step with a 2 second fade in.

well... what actually happens is that when i trigger the effect inside the cue list, strange things happen with the strobe fade times.

I made a similar file with an RGB light so you can better understand what I'm saying....

If there is a way to do what I'm thinking, I apologize for my ignorance, and would appreciate any help.

Thank you!

PS: I'm using version 4.12.5 on windows
Attachments
fx sequence in cue list.qxw
v 4.12.5
(16.21 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
GGGss

A tricky one ...
Fading on alternating intensities does not work. Somehow understandable. (HTP and LTP behavior and internal calculations)
A solution could be that the strobe chaser is put inside a frame with a submaster slider also inside that frame.
When you fire the strobe chaser, the submaster will limit the amount of intensity coming out.

The way you automate this submaster (fade-in for 2 seconds) could be achieved by a loopback channel bound to the submaster slider.
For the 'swelling' strobe function to look nice, in my experience, you cannot use a linear curve for the submaster fade-in. An exponential curve will look that much nicer on stage. So a channel modifier applied to the loopback channel will do the trick here.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
mlohrey

This is has been a problem with QLC+ for a long time. You will find a number of posts describing the problem in the forum. Basically, the fade in/out times in the cue list are applied to the individual step's fade in/out times in the sequence (or other cuelists) rather than the whole effect. So in your case, the strobe step is trying to fade up in 4 sec but after 200ms it then tries to fade out over 2 seconds. This is not possible of course because each step takes 200ms. So the flash never reaches either full or zero intensity. Thus the error you see.

It must be a difficult thing to program as it was identified some time ago.

In the end, for theatre shows I sometimes do, where the ability to fade effects in or out is important, I moved over to MagicQ. It handles this this particular effect without trouble. He is an example in MagicQ. A basic dimmer effect with a 10 sec fade in and then 5 second fade out.
https://youtu.be/uAhymL6Jfkc

I love QLC+ and use it for many other things, just not theatre shows when I need this to work.
Last edited by mlohrey on Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fedemgh

Thank for the coments!!!
mlohrey wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:10 am It must be a difficult thing to program as it was identified some time ago....
that's what i suspected.... but is strange, because when you yust trigger the sequence with a fader or a knob, what you "fade" is the max intensity of the channels involved, something like @GGGss suggetion... so in my head, this shouldn't be too hard to fix... you just ask the cue list to fade-in (or fade-out) whatever is controlled by the knob/fade, right?

I'm learning MagiQ too, but I like to bet on QLC and open source. :)
GGGss wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:55 pm The way you automate this submaster (fade-in for 2 seconds) could be achieved by a loopback channel bound to the submaster slider.
You lost me here. :shock:
I'm starting to investigate about loopback right now... thanks!