slider override reset control & theatrical use with an active chaser

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
sunbowch

Hi!

Present behavior of the reset button jumps to the preset value... And for any real life use in a classic or less classic theater show a jump of intensity is a no-go. :(

As most of the other problems have been successfully solved, it seems that this one needs a bit of time. I can code but some indications will be welcome.

My case doesn't seem to be very special: When doing a live show I'm using a cue list to cross-fade between scenes, manually or with the next/previous button.

I need to make some corrections to adjust some levels and monitored level sliders seems the right tool to do this both ways (increase or lower the intensity). I might need to change more than one slider depending on the situation.

What I expect when I go to the next scene is to have all sliders at their present level to fade out at the programmed speed or to follow the cross-fade slider... And I bet that I'm not alone to expect this. I also expect to have everything unlocked when I start a chaser, but this can already be semi-automated with a common external control.

So programmatically speaking, the reset button presently jumps to the scene's value when hit. It can or must be the default behavior when no chaser is active and can even stay so if it is manually hit.

When a chaser is active, it looks possible to grab the present value of the locked slider (of all the levels of the controlled fixtures) instead of coming back to the preset value, and this action can be linked to the 'next' and 'previous' buttons hit or cross-fade slider move... And just after that the button must be unlocked. This should be the default behavior when a scene is faded away. ( I don't see why it could be different, but if someone really needs that it could be an option.).

Then everything will happen smoothly... Nothing else to change in the code.

Technically speaking, overwriting the 'before lock' reference levels to reflect the present slider value before deactivating the button, if one of the above action is triggered, seems the easy way to program this without changing the lock button function.

I can live with the fact that if a fader is linked to a scene directly, the modified level faders will stay locked if it is moved.

Older tricks to overcome this doesn't work anymore... As when a chaser is stopped, the last function fades out... And this is desirable.

Can anybody point me in the right direction in the code? QLC+5 Is far away... And needs the same I think.

What do you think?

Luc
sunbowch

Hi!

Just digging and head-scratching:

One possible way to get an acceptable (or even desirable) solution could be to write a new function that:

1) Dumps the modified DMX values to the present active function, overwriting previous values: This effectively resets the monitored levels to the present values. Overwriting is somehow desirable, as the new state is likely to be the one you need when you replay the show.

2) Unlocks the reset buttons of all the locked sliders.

3) Is called at first when the cuelist's next button is hit, or the cross-fade slider is moved, if any monitored fader is locked. And as it is unlikely that a correction is made during the cross-fade it will be executed only once during the cross-fade process.

It can be completely simulated by hand... So it means that no existing function must be patched except for this new function's call... Looks more like a macro than a new development, but it's beyond the scripting language present capacity.

And no, it can't be done by hand during the show... Takes too much time and clicks. If a script could be written, it could be assigned to a flash button, but presently I think it can't.

Even if I'm getting slowly familiar with the present code, some indications for this new idea is welcome.

What do you think?