Simple Audio fade

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
DOA

Hi from Portland Oregon, home of the best pro wrestling in the world, DOA Pro Wrestling!

We are using OLC+ for our show lighting and I'm really pleased with it. It's easy enough that I can automate show processes and run them with all the vagaries of backstage at a wrestling show including last minute card changes, and it appears to have sufficient depth to keep me up late for some time to come. Thank you very much!

On to the request. It would be *really* nice if audio could be faded automatically as easily as lighting, using the same interface. I know everyone is aware of the fact that the audio cuts off abruptly as the lights fade; I also know there is a work around. Just adding my voice to those asking for a simplified procedure.

Again, thank you for an incredible piece of work!
mcallegari

Hi, I worked on audio fade out when an Audio function is used as a Chaser step.
If that's your case and you're using Windows, please try the latest test version here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3135
DOA

mcallegari wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:33 pm Hi, I worked on audio fade out when an Audio function is used as a Chaser step.
If that's your case and you're using Windows, please try the latest test version here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3135
Sorry, using Linux. Ubuntu Studio to be exact.
mcallegari

DOA

Unfortunately, with that build on Kubuntu 22.04, adding an audio file to a chaser locks up the whole system...
DOA

Just a quick note, the master fader doesn't do anything for audio either. My understanding was it was supposed to control everything active, and potting it down would reduce light intensity, audio volume, etc...
GGGss

DOA (as a kicker that's a nice nickname),
Master fader is for intensities only - thank you Lord. I'd be very upset if a grandmaster would influence gobo's, shutters, etc.
So your possibilities are limited to the use of a sub-master. With a more complex workflow using the loopback magic, you can achieve the effect you seek.
Tell us at which steps we can assist you.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
DOA

BTW, DOA stands for Don't Own Anyone. We don't keep wrestlers under contract. We bring in the best Indie talent, focusing on the incredible talent we hace here in the Pacific Northwest of the USA.

/shameless plug :)
DOA

Apparently my last post got lost. So trying again. Gurrent setup is 6 RGBWAUV PAR cans, laser, UV bars, 2 entry pin spots, audio and video. I attach everything - lights, audio, video - to a fader. Hit the fader to 255 to start, everything comes to life. Hit separate button to pop the entry spots when the performers enter, then press the button to fade entry spots using their built in fade time, and pull the fader down gradually. Works a treat. However, wrestling shows, as you may have seen in the past, can be a bit chaotic. What I would like to see would be to be able to use the built in effect fade timer to fade audio/video as well (or at least audio) so I can just hit a button and have everything come down in sync.

I've tried using the loopback crossfade. Works nicely. But it needs a cue list. And often I'm finishing up things at the last hour before the show - trying to get the necessary music and lighting info from pro wrestlers is truly like herding cats. And apparently you can't run more than one cue list at a time, otherwise I'd set them up for our regulars and have a shell ready I could plug latecomers' info into. And one cue list for the whole show is right out; I often don't know till literally an hour before the show who the players are because of injuries, missed flights, Covid, etc...

Please do not take this as a criticism of QLC+. It is a phenomenal package. It does damned near everything I would want a lighting/AV control package to do. All of you who have contributed are to be commended. This is just my personal bugaboo, and I have a workaround that mostly works. But a man can dream, right?
edogawa

Unfortunately, with that build on Kubuntu 22.04, adding an audio file to a chaser locks up the whole system...
Having overhauled the build process and added Ubuntu 22.04 as distro target just recently, this statement made me feel slightly uncomfortable.

So I downloaded and ran the Kubuntu install iso in Try mode, installed missing curl and then qlcplus-qt5-git as per the instructions, and cannot make it freeze the system in any way. I tried making a cuelist and adding the audio as first step, then fading in 5 seconds to a fake scene cue without contents. Worked just as expected.
And apparently you can't run more than one cue list at a time
That's the second claim I cannot follow, I often run several cuelists (e.g. a main cuelist with lighting scenes, a second one for an endlessly looping video) in parallel, from their own cuelist widgets, without problem.
DOA

1: I don't claim to be anything but an idiot. :) I tried your build on a fresh install of kubuntu and it locked up on me. Will try again this week.

2: Tried running two cue lists with separate audio tracks linked to each. First one runs fine. Second one runs the audio from the first one.

It's likely my own dumbassery, duly noted. Will try again.
DOA

Tried again on two different systems. Fresh install of kubuntu 22.04, all updates done. Asus i5, 4GB RAM, 1 GB SSDD was one. HP i7, 4GB RAM, 1GB SSDD other. Same result. Assigned audio to an audio function, then to a button. Same as before, turning the sound off just cuts it abruptly with no fade. Assigning the audio function to a chaser or collection resulted randomly in the system locking up and not responding to commands, or QLC+ crashing and exiting completely.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings...
edogawa

Would you provide the failing workspace and audio files so we can examine?
sbenejam

I made some test trying to reproduce this issue in Ubuntu 22.04 with QLC+ 4.12.5-GIT. I can add an audio file to chaser with no crash. I can play two different audio chasers and both plays as expected.
I recommend you use submasters to control audio levels for buttons and chasers. Put some buttons in a frame and a submaster and you have control for the audio level. For chasers you can use them in the same way too, put a chaser or cuelist in a frame with a submaster.
It would also be useful if you could share some example or project of what you want to achieve.