QXF Fixture more portable

kluszon

Hello,

In the current version (4 and 5 beta), it's not easy to copy one device with external sources (gobo images) and move it to another computer (Required manually copy gobos' images). I'm thinking about making device fixtures more portable. What do you think about adding an option to Fixture Editor which allows exporting archive with current QFX fixture file and the device's gobo? Also required will be load such fixture with gobos.
GGGss

It was once stated that you cannot use your own gobo representations since this would break the QLC+ structure.
(I use a sync program on all my laptops, computers, ... to sync all QLC+ customs files to my dropbox account. As long as there is an internet connection (mobile hotspot) all my files are present where ever I am.)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
kluszon

GGGss wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:54 am It was once stated that you cannot use your own gobo representations since this would break the QLC+ structure.
(I use a sync program on all my laptops, computers, ... to sync all QLC+ customs files to my dropbox account. As long as there is an internet connection (mobile hotspot) all my files are present where ever I am.)
Using cloud applications is an idea, but it doesn't work when you want to share your new fixture with gobos with another person. Other fixture standards have more portable versions for sharing that's why I suggest this feature.
GGGss

kluszon wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:24 am Other fixture standards have more portable versions for sharing
GDTF-standard? Ow boy... I have been working with it to some extent but ... You know what it's already called around tech's? A Good Day To F*ck
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
kluszon

As you wish man :) It was just an idea to improve QXF. Have a good day then ;)

I don't understand why are you banning my IP after this discussions.
mcallegari

Michał, certainly Fredje don't have the admin rights to ban your IP, nor I have banned it manually.
This forum uses an extension (https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... orum_spam/) because up to some months ago, this forum was subject to constant attempts of spam and phishing. Most of the attacks come from Eastern Europe, and maybe your public IP address has been used before by some of these attackers.
Probably the extension is too severe and blocks even genuine users/IPs.
I'm gonna check what happened.

As for your suggestion, I'm working on it. Loading fixtures from the same folder of the project is already done (not pushed yet). Loading gobos is more tricky, I'm studying a solution for it.
GGGss

kluszon wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:35 pm As you wish man :) It was just an idea to improve QXF. Have a good day then ;)

I don't understand why are you banning my IP after this discussions.
Michal,

Any idea to improve any sort of standardised fixture profiles (the absolute #1 issue everywhere) is more than welcome. But I pointed out the 'new' GDTF standard in a bluntly way - sorry.
IMHO it is an overly complex standard, not documented at all and surely not for the novice level user like the majority of the QLC+ users. To state my statement: if you have an R-channel in your fixture, in GDTF there are like 12 possibilities to add an 'R' channel to the fixture in question. In reality, only 2 (or 3) R-options will actually send R signals to the DMX bus. The other options are used for multi instances heads and other, for me obscure, reasons. (Color correction for one, ...) Lacking good documentation renders you clueless and when do you need a fixture profile? Right! Last-minute... And we even didn't start discussing 3D rendering and the lot. (From the 3 options for the R-channel to send signals to the DMX bus, only 2 in combination with one of the 3 others will show a red beam in the 3D renders ... :shock: :? :o )

Sorry to read that your IP got being banned. It might have given you an awkward feeling I can imagine...
mcallegari

Fredje, can you point me where Michał mentioned GDTF? I don't understand why you started referring to it.
Other lighting softwares I used before QLC+ had the concept of project bundles (e.g. zip files) where they store everything necessary to the project (even audio files!)
This is a valuable idea also for QLC+ but it implies more or less work. I'm still evaluating it.
GGGss

I took the liberty to get off-topic about GDTF in response to Michal's 'As you wish man' - I now realise...

The possibility to export a project including all files belonging to it as an intermediate medium (.zip) would be great.
The import function will be more critical IMHO, since users would expect/like to be able to do selective imports. But this selectiveness means that the destination project file would have to be 'recompiled'...
and what if a user double imports a selection: identical entries will be the result. May they be overwritten or ???
mcallegari

I would say a bundle should be consistent to itself, regardless what changed in QLC+ in the meantime.
So I imagine during export all the project paths should become relative (to the doc's path)
It may indeed create cases where an outdated fixture definition overrides an updated one. It's tricky, no doubt.
kluszon

I was thinking more about exporting one fixture than a full library to archive. Now, importing fixtures requires a manual copy and paste to the correct directory. In the current application you save your new fixture to a separate directory (different than the base library) the same situation on windows and linux, so importing can be to the same path. Asking about overwriting fixtures isn't a problem. It is possible to do also a separate directory for imported fixtures. Extending the base library required sharing fixtures to the community and acceptation and it's a good way.

@mcallegari can you remove my IP from black list?
Last edited by kluszon on Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcallegari

@kluszon What is your IP?
kluszon

*.*.*.*
Last edited by kluszon on Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcallegari

Please check again. It should be unbanned now
kluszon

mcallegari wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:06 pm Please check again. It should be unbanned now
Now it works again. Thank you :)