MIDI triggered lights

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
kithaeron

Hey guys,

I'm a bedroom DJ and I just started using QLC+ to control the lights in my "home club" (my living room).
I actually was looking for an option to create scenes, put them in a list and with every beat of the played music the scene should change to the next one in the list.
I know that most lightshows are controlled manually, but that’s not working for me because I have to play the music ;-)

I did some research and since I have a MacBook, I wanted a piece of software for OS X.

I tested the handling and possibilities of QLC+ and thought, that’s it!

But I wanted the music to control my lights.
As you might guess, I found a pretty custom style solution.

What I use:
- rekordbox analyzed MP3
- Pioneer CDJ-900NXS
- Pioneer DJM-900NXS
- USB-MIDI-Interface
- MacBook running OS X 10.10
- Monoplugs B-Step Sequencer (a software sequencer)
- QLC+
- USB-DMX-Interface (DMXking)
- 4x Stairville PAR56 RGBW LED
- 1x Eurolite LED SCY-100 RGBW

How to get it work:
The CDJ-900 plays a MP3 which BPM has been analyzed before by Pioneer rekordbox software. Via LAN (Pro DJ Link) the CDJ sends the actual BPM to the DJM-900 mixer. The DJM sends the MIDI-Clock over the USB-MIDI-Interface to my MacBook. B-Step Sequencer receives that MIDI-Clock. In the software, I programmed a bar with four kicks, but as there are no samples in the software, the "beat" is silent. Now with every kick, B-Step Sequencer sends a MIDI-Note to the OS X internal IAC Driver. That MIDI-Note is received by a cue list in QLC+ an with every note, the next scene in that cue list will be triggered.

In sum, the scenes now change automatically by every beat and if I de-/increase the musics speed with the pitch fader on my CDJ, the lighting speed will change the same.

If I find some time, I will maybe create a short video on how to do.

I hope someone will be able to make use of this too.
kithaeron

@Massimo

Hi Massimo, QLC+ is awesome!

I think a lot of people would like to see some features to make my workaround irrelevant, thus the possibility to receive a MIDI-Clock in QLC+, put a list with scenes together to a chaser or cue list and play that list in time of the MIDI-Clock (BPM of the music).

I thought, one could create some of those lists in the virtual console and (de-)activate one or more at the same time by mouse, keyboard or a MIDI-Controller. So you could switch between those lists and stay in time automatically.

Would be a nice feature! :-)
djtale2003

Hi everyone,

i'am also looking for a way to read the BPM from the midi interface. This seems like an interesting tool:

https://blt-guide.deepsymmetry.org/beat ... r/triggers

Unfortunately I have no idea how to connect this to QLC on my Pi.
Unfortunately, the built-in music recognition only works very poorly.