Sound-Light Control

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
Drew E.

Hello,

I am sorry if this has been posted before - or is documented, but I have searched quite a bit and not found an answer. Perhaps I am not using the correct terms.

With all my searching, I have only found a way to have the audio input adjust the speed of the chase, which is not exactly what I am looking to do. I am looking to have the audio input trigger the next scene in a chase.

What I'm trying to do is replace the function of an old controller that I currently use. The controller moves to the next step in a chase when audio is detected. If no audio is detected, the chase sequence freezes on it's current scene.

Here is an example of what I am trying to replicate with a microphone attached to QLC+: http://youtu.be/CRpmCBX7c5c

Does anyone know if I am able to use QLC+ to achieve what I'm looking to do?

Much thanks in advance.
Drew
Joe

Right now all you can really do is manually tap the BPM. I've used other software which will analyse the audio input and figure out the BPM and then let you set chasers to the BPM (or double or half that rate).
Jano Svitok

Hi,

try this:

1. create **chaser**

2. create **cuelist** in the virtual console for that chaser

3. create **audio triggers** widget

4. in the audio trigger properties: choose proper frequency band (or use volume band), set type to **VC Widget** and select your cue list. Audio trigger will press "next" button on the cuelist.

5. now adjust parameters:
- **enable threshold** - when the volume goes over enable threshold, the button will be pushed.
- **disable threshold** - when the button is pushed, it won't be pushed again before the volume goes below this level. This is so that the button is pushed only once per beat
- **divisor** - the button will be pushed every x-th beat - when you want to advance the chaser every other beat, put here 2, every 4-th beat - put 4, etc.
6. close properties, start Operate mode, enable audiotriggers and that's it.

I didn't test this much, but it seemed that it might work :) If there's a problem, just ask again.

When you succeed, it would be really nice if you could write small recipe how did you do it, so others will have easier time. Maybe half a page is enough. Any format will do (Word, plain text, html). Some screenshots and/or photos videos would be great. I will convert it to HTML for you, and add to online help. You can start with this text if you want :)

I also welcome comments how useful this feature is, or what can be improved (though I don't promise I will improve it...)
Joe

Hmmmm

I bet Ableton could do BPM detection of a live input, and then output a MIDI signal that you could then feed into the tap button in QLC+..

Worth a shot.
Davey Daytona

hello all

I posted something about this awhile ago too. https://sourceforge.net/p/qlcplus/discu ... 9be1/#fe40
I was using my old mixer as a midi trigger for awhile but the duration time is constant whether the beat is there or not. am looking for the same functionality as you DJ Drew. Its similar to another post about a discussion on having a play/pause function. beat = step not time between.
Jano Svitok

Guys,

have you tried my guide? Does it work fo you? Are there any problems?
Dave, I have implemented it as you wished. You now have to select cue list as audio
triggers vc widget directly, do not select speed dial for this. You'll need the latest version.
Davey Daytona

Hello Jano
well i am having a problem with 4.6.1. I am using windows XP pro and 7 and when i try to select a chase for a cue list Qlc crashes. This is not the case for 4.6.0. I'm not sure whats thats about.I will try redownloading 4.6.1. it may be a bad take.

However, I see what your getting at with this, and bravo. Even though i can't at this time run your design. What I'm looking for is to be able to have step control over all my buttons in VC, not just a cue list. My VC is rather sophisticated. It allows me to have control of every possible setting of all of my fixtures because i am working from a purely live scenario. I often don't even get a set list, and have multiple bands in a night. I have no idea what they are performing. So i designed an anything goes VC.

Now a Duration tap works for basic chases and scenes, Its just inconsistent as far as real time response time to live transients like a kick drum. The duration tap is better suited to a pre-programmed or scripted type shows or DJ.

Like I have said, My old dmx board was able to do this from its audio in, which controlled all my programs in a step by step manner. Would it be possible to add this kind of functionality?
I'm hope you dont think im being a pain in the ass. I will use your design once i get it working.
Attachments
REDO%201.qxw
(162.2 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
Drew E.

Hi Jano,

Your instructions were awesome! I was able to replicate the functionality of my old controller. I only made 1 minor edit, and that was to set the newly created chaser to have an "infinite" hold time. Otherwise, I think your directions above are good to be published somewhere. Thanks for putting this functionality together!

I also created a youtube video, following your directions. I can edit this if we need to add something, and you are welcome to use it anywhere you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITnbZgXqfU0

My only suggestion, and it is more of a general item, is to put 2 colored lines on the audio EQ visualizer, so I can see where both thresholds are set compared to the actual input - it would make gain-staging easier.

Thanks again!
Drew
Robert Scheffler

Drew,
I really liked your video. Maybe some audio commentary as you set it up. I found myself pausing a couple times to see exactly where you clicked.
Jano,
I did not try this feature yet, but would have used in December if I knew how.
Will be using in a production coming up in late feb. So VERY useful feature for me!
Will report any problems using it.
Bob
Massimo Callegari

Hello Drew, thank you very much for the video.
I've added it to the QLC+ tutorials page. Hope you don't mind.
Drew E.

Nope, I don't mind at all.

Thanks!
Drew E.

Hey Robert,

Thanks for watching!

Yeah, I know it's oddly silent. However, I am not sure on the correct terminology to ramble and point out stuff, so I thought it best to just show. I might add commentary at some point though.
Joe

I've got the same issue as Davey. I'll attach my workspace for kicks. The weird thing is is that sometimes in new workspaces it's fine.
Attachments
qlc%2B%20461.qxw
(11.04 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Joe

Hi Kids,

I've was playing around this morning and found a way to do Auto BPM in QLC+ that I like. I'm using Traktor Pro, but you may be able to do this in your software of choice too. I am also on a Mac, but I am sure there are ways to do this in Windows and Linux.

First create an IAC Bus driver in the OS X Midi setup panel, then in Traktor set it to an output in the controller manager, then in under the midi clock tab, enable send midi clock. Then back in the main Traktor UI, go into the metronome tab and set it up to tick, turn on auto and then press the play/pause button. Now load any song and set it playing. In QLC+ patch the IAC driver into a free input universe. If all has gone well you'll now see the joystick icon flashing to the beat. Click auto detect on the tap input on a speed dial and then wait for a beat and it will detect midi channel 531. Now you should be able to add chases to this timer and have them always work to the BPM of the music. I've created a 2 page solo frame, with identical timers, except one is set to get its value from a slider on my midi keyboard, and one from the Traktor BPM tap. This way I can slow the chase down for a breakdown, or speed it up as fast as I want for a drop.

Joe
dj fonic

Wow great thanks for the video just what I was wanting to do. This way of using chases is a standard feature I use in nightclubs/disco's all the time with Pulsar Masterpiece desk. I've not tried it yet bat can't wait to see if it will work on my Mac ( is there audio trigger issues with mac version?)
dave99gst

Drew E. wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:50 pm Hi Jano,

Your instructions were awesome! I was able to replicate the functionality of my old controller. I only made 1 minor edit, and that was to set the newly created chaser to have an "infinite" hold time. Otherwise, I think your directions above are good to be published somewhere. Thanks for putting this functionality together!

I also created a youtube video, following your directions. I can edit this if we need to add something, and you are welcome to use it anywhere you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITnbZgXqfU0

My only suggestion, and it is more of a general item, is to put 2 colored lines on the audio EQ visualizer, so I can see where both thresholds are set compared to the actual input - it would make gain-staging easier.

Thanks again!
Drew

Drew this vid is set to private...not sure if your still around or not.