DMX input with Enttec DMX USB Pro Mk2 & DMX192 board

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Windows operating system
benjaminpparker

Hello,

I have QLC+ running on a Windows 10 computer connected to an Enttec DMX USB Pro Mk2 for the output. The software is working well and we are able to control all of our lights. I was attempting to hook up a generic DMX192 controller (https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rockforce-192/) as an input to send commands to QLC+. My application is a medium sized church and we really only use the same 5-6 scenes most of the time nothing too complicated.

I wanted to assign a few scenes to the physical faders on the DMX192 controller for quick access. As soon as I connected the external DMX192 controller to the Enttec DMX USB Pro MK2 input(1) it acted like the DMX192 controller was overriding anything that QLC+ was outputting for DMX. All of the faders on the DMX192 controller were at zero so all the lights went dark and QLC+ lost ability to turn them up. Disconnecting the DMX192 controller resumed normal control.

I downloaded the software from Enttec and clicked around but that didn't appear to have any settings that helped. I also got an XLR adapter so I could plug in the DMX192 controller to the cable labeled output(2) on the Enttec but that didn't help either.

How can I prevent the DMX192 controller from passing thru the enttec and directly controlling the lights?
janosvitok

If you want to use the DMX192 controller for control only, you have to connect to separate universe.

- it's better when you use differen universe in QLC+ for control data
- you can use either DMX1 input on the enttec dongle for control data from DMX192, and then you have to use DMX2 output for actual lights,
or you can use DMX1 for lights and DMX2 output with gender changer for control data input.
- you have to set DMX direction in QLC+ plugin settings

So, let's say you use DMX2 as control input, and DMX1 as DMX output
1. (Physically) connect enttec DMX1 to lights
2. (Physically) connect enttec DMX2 with gender changer to DMX192 controller
3. (in QLC+) create second universe in QLC+ for control data
4. (in QLC+) connect enttec DMX1 to Universe 1 output
5. (in QLC+) connect enttec DMX2 to Universe 2 input

PS: Did you check passthrough in universe config by any chance? That would explain why DMX data from the controller...

Jano
GGGss

On top of that, you will have to use the PRO manager program, to instruct the interface that output 2 now is input 2.
(it could be that the timing the 192 uses is off by a tad - so carefully document timing settings in the PRO manager)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
benjaminpparker

I was able to get this working but only temporarily. It was working but when I closed out of QLC+ and re-opened it a few seconds later it no longer worked. No input or output even though it was saved and still assigned on the input/output screen.

I connected the DMX192 controller to the input(1) of the Enttec. I connected my lights to Output(2) of the Enttec. No XLR gender reverser needed. I re-assigned all of my fixtures within QLC+ to universe 2. On the Input/Output screen I assigned the it to match. I was able to assign a physical fader to a virtual fader and the lights worked.

I actually had to fight with it quite a bit thru guess and check. I could see input working correctly in the Enttec pro software but not in QLC+. At some point with the right combination of luck and unplugging-replugging the USB cable it started receiving input in QLC+, so I added the output and got everything how I wanted it. Upon closing the software and re-opening it stopped working. I ran out of time to mess with it so I had to put everything back.

At one point when I was trying to get things to work my USB keyboard and Mouse started acting crazy, I found that powering off the DMZ192 controller had an effect on the keyboard and mouse function. I wouldn't be able to use it as is because the software and computer need to be able to reliably reboot. I would like to get it to work though.
GGGss

This IS very strange.
Keep in mind that the Enttec needs its own dedicated USB port. (And enough power in the buss) - this could explain why your mouse and keyboard react erratic (not enough USB power in total)
A workaround or a temporary solution would be to use a powered USB hub. Attach everything except the Enttec to the USB hub. This should work now.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
benjaminpparker

I found an article that pointed me to uninstall the drivers for my Enttec. I downloaded the CDM Uninstaller from here: https://ftdichip.com/utilities/ I unplugged the unit, removed the driver with the utility, removed the Enttec Pro software, and rebooted. I was able to reconnect the Enttec and allow Windows to install the driver.

I found that I had to power off the DMX192 controller when I rebooted. If I didn't power it off I would have a USB conflict (even after moving it to a different port) where the keyboard and mouse would act crazy. Powering off the DMX192 controller allowed me to reboot and open and close QLC+ the way that it should. Once QLC+ is open I can power on the DMX192 controller and use at as an input device.

Output (2) on the Enttec is Universe 1 and connected to my light fixtures, input(1) is universe 2 and connected to the DMX192 controller.

At least I found a consistent way of having it work but a little less than ideal.