Creating RGB panel skips a few last channels in universe

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
nmaddix

I have a 32x8 LED array and I'm trying to map it.

I open the RGB panel wizard, choose 32x8 and all the other settings. It almost works...

256 LEDs requires 2 universes, but it doesn't quite use the entire first universe.

Instead of mapping up to channel 510 and then starting the next universe, it maps up to 504, then starts the next universe.

So the LEDs that would be 505-507 and 508-510 don't get any signals and stay blank, and the first 2 LEDs on the next panel are active, with everything shifted over by 2 after the 2 that are blank.

I don't see a way to fix this after the fact either.

QLC v4.12.2 on Max OSX
GGGss

How many channels per led?
Doing the maths for you RGB leds, so 3 channels per led.
How are columns and rows arranged in your setup?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
nmaddix

Three channels per LED (RGB, actually it's GRB if that matters). 32x8 matrix, 256 LEDs.

The options are snake, vertical, bottom-right.

It should map to DMX channels up to 510 in the first universe and then start the 2nd universe but it fills the first universe only up to 504.
GGGss

504 makes perfect sense.
row 1: channel 1 to (8x3) 24
row 2: channel ( [r-1] * 24 +1) 25 to (+8*3 -1) 48
row 21: channel ( [r-1] * 24 +1) 481 to (+8*3 -1) 504
Qlc+ will skip the rest of the addresses since it can't fit a new row inside the universe.

Or you have to tweak it yourself (have a careful look at the project file with a text editor; it's like an XML file - take a backup first, its structure breaks easily)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
nmaddix

Why should it worry about fitting an entire row or column in the universe? The LEDs are simply one after another in sequence. Is there a scenario where that logic would be useful?

The end result of that logic is that the two LEDs at the end of that universe are not mapped and stay blank, and all the addresses are shifted by 2.

I'll take a look at the project file. I speak XML as a second language.
nmaddix

GGGss wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:39 am Or you have to tweak it yourself (have a careful look at the project file with a text editor; it's like an XML file - take a backup first, its structure breaks easily)
I don't see an obvious way to fix this. Relevant code section is below. It's mapping row by row as you described.

Code: Select all

<Fixture>
   <Manufacturer>Generic</Manufacturer>
   <Model>RGBPanel</Model>
   <Mode>GRB</Mode>
   <Weight>100</Weight>
   <Height>3</Height>
   <ID>522</ID>
   <Name>RGB Panel - Row 21</Name>
   <Universe>4</Universe>
   <Address>480</Address>
   <Channels>24</Channels>
</Fixture>
<Fixture>
   <Manufacturer>Generic</Manufacturer>
   <Model>RGBPanel</Model>
   <Mode>GRB</Mode>
   <Weight>100</Weight>
   <Height>3</Height>
   <ID>523</ID>
   <Name>RGB Panel - Row 22</Name>
   <Universe>5</Universe>
   <Address>0</Address>
   <Channels>24</Channels>
</Fixture>
GGGss

How is your panel physically set up?
As in 32 rows by 8 columns? or otherwise?
nmaddix

GGGss wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:11 am How is your panel physically set up?
As in 32 rows by 8 columns? or otherwise?
Again, it's a zig-zag arrangement. 256 LEDs in sequence as if it was just one LED strip but then cut into a zig-zag to make a panel. It is manufactured this way, similar to many other panels I've looked at. I have no way to change the configuration.
GGGss

Then I'm afraid you will have to manually compose the panel in QLC+ due to the 2 last leds in the universe (and the 2 lacking leds in the next universe)

OR .... wait ... haha (!) [edit: a lot of work though [/edit]
We'll remap QLC+ universe 2 by using the loopback universe.
Since addresses are off at the end of U1 and the beginning of U2, you could 'rewrite' U2 with a little bit [edit] ahum a lot ! [/edit] of extra work.

U2 will be a dummy Universe now (but GRB panel will keep functioning) NOT sending to the controller but to loopback universe 1.
Create 2 extra RGB fixtures in U1 (address 505 and 508)
Create 90-2 (88) new RGB fixtures in U3
U3 will send to universe 2 to the Artnet Pixel controller.

now create a frame, put 264 + 6 sliders in it.
all in level control
slider 1 set's channel 505 in U1
slider 2 = 506 in U1
slider 6 = 510 in U1

As inputs for the sliders use
slider 1: loopback U1 channel 1
slider 2: loopback U1 channel 2
slider 6: loopback U1 channel 6

now the trick:
slider 7 = level control to U3 channel 1
input for 7 is loopback U1 channel 7
slider 8 = level control to U3 channel 2 + input = Lb U1 ch8

What are we doing here?
RGB panel pixel R22 C1 will send to loopback channel 1 to 3
This will be translated to channels 505 to 507 in Universe 1 -> output to controller channel 505 to 507
RGB panel pixel R22 C2 will send to loopback channel 4 to 6
This will be translated to channels 508 to 510 in Universe 1 -> output to controller channel 508 to 510
^^ the missing 2 pixels on your controller
RGB panel pixel R22 C3 will send to loopback channel 7 to 9
This will be translated to channels 1 to 3 in Universe 3 -> output to controller channel 1 to 3 in Artnet U2

Try this for 1 row or so in panel Universe 2...
This should work now
nmaddix

Wow that's a lot. I'll try it if I can get my issues with jitter worked out.
nmaddix

GGGss wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:18 am We'll remap QLC+ universe 2 by using the loopback universe.
Since addresses are off at the end of U1 and the beginning of U2, you could 'rewrite' U2 with a little bit [edit] ahum a lot ! [/edit] of extra work.
Just remembered this post and tried it out. Got it working! It's definitely a hack, but it does work. Took a lot of time in both the virtual console editor and editing the project file directly. There's a little lag time noticeable on the remapped pixels in some cases but it's super subtle and depends on the animation. Not a problem but might get worse if I add a lot of other functions at once.

And now if I want to add a second panel it's problematic, but maybe I can write some scripts that work on the project file to automate the process a bit.

Thanks!
GGGss

Glad to be of help.
Brake a leg
nmaddix

Actually one interesting side effect has me a bit stumped. When you adjust the brightness of the panel, the remapped pixels reduce brightness by a factor of 2 relative to the normal ones. Wonder how to fix that...