State of OBS project

edogawa

Hello Massimo,

I want to repeat my offer to assist in updating your OBS project/packages.

I may be totally wrong but my impression is that cingulingu set this up for you, but isn't available anymore for maintainance, and you don't want to be bothered with it?
Maybe you just overlooked or forgot to react when I asked before, I'm sure I did, but won't search for that post now.

Anyways, if you don't want to accept my offer, I ask you to fix the (few) problems I see, being a Tumbleweed user:
  • ola hasn't released a new version since a long time, and 10.0.7 is broken against protobuf version 3.
    Upstream have a fix in git, and the openSUSE maintained version in multimedia:libs has a patch that backported this.
    Why do you maintain an independent package for ola? You could branch the one from mm:libs and add the needed bits for the other distro builds to your branch
  • re. libmad it's similar situation, although it looks a bit more complicated, as your project has separate packages for rpm and deb based distros.
  • your repository list could need an update, e.g. Fedora is at version 32, and 30 already EOL, while you build for 25 - 29...
  • the qt4 packages should be deleted i think, the stable one doesn't build for any distro anymore, the git version for just a few and you announced long ago that you dropped support for Qt4.
  • once PR #1223 has been merged, the git package should be updated in order to build for Tumbleweed (and include the fft fix and more goodies)
  • if that's of interest, you could build a RPi arm package there from the same package metadata you use for debian, and keep it private if you prefer (thinking of your image and revenue). I'm building it that way for myself because I had problems running the one from your RPi distribution; and I assure you that I won't publish it as I definitely think you deserve the money from that.
Hope for an answer, cheers

Edgar
giacomo

Hi Edgar,
I'm not so technical but I want to express my thanks for your offer.
Hopefully this project can have a revamp.
Giacomo