problem with creating linear RGBA fitting

The issues found when using the Fixture Definition Editor application
sheddo

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is a fixture editor or a QLC+ issue,........ Or Organic, (It is quite possible I am missing something), however.....

I am trying to create a linear fitting which is basically 15x RGBA heads in a single row.
In the fixture editor;
I have defined it as a "LED Bar (Pixels)" type.
I have set the layout in the physical tab as 15 x 1

However when adding the fitting to QLC+, it shows in the Fixture Monitor as a 4x4 grid, (with the bottom right missing).

Running on
QLC+ 4.12.2
Windows 7
15x1 rgba test.qxf
(7.36 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
Is there a fitting in the standard lineup, or does someone have a custom fitting similar, I can use to check?

Cheers
sheddo

Also something else is amiss.

It seems that when I make an RGB Matrix function with this fitting, I can only use additive, or HTP. Subtractive or Mask does nothing on the fitting.

I tested it by making channel groups so I can adjust all individual colour channels at once and set them to say Green via the Simple desk. (Note i am in Design Mode)
In the Function edit tab i create an RGBMatrix stripe function, Subtractive in White. When i run the test function nothing happens.
If I change the same function to additive blend mode, it works fine.

Even without the fitting, using the Fixture Monitor tool, it reflects the same.
test linear.qxw
(3.44 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
Cheers
sheddo

Update,

Looks like the problem with the subtractive and masks is limited to the test function. If i create a Virtual Console with the channel groups on sliders, and button for the RGB Matrix functions all is OK.

There is a new curiosity however, it seems that the fixture is recognized as only RGB, not RGBA. I can control hte Amber channels with a slider. but the RGB MAtrix functions ignore it. (So i cannot subtract or mask the amber channel)

Sorry for the continual barrage, It's just that I'm playing with it at the moment and reporting as I go.

Cheers
GGGss

The matrix (and QLC+) is limited to RGB as we speak.
SO no you won't be able to play with the amber channel
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
sheddo

Thanks GGGss,

You are right with regards to the RGBMatrix function. I can also create a generic RGBW panel, but the blends still don't affect the W channel.
Makes sense as i imagine the blends were developed before the 4th channel became a thing. Incidentally I've been working with an architectural luminaire manufacturer for many years, and almost all of our current colour luminaires are RGBW or RGBA. RGB seems to almost dead in the water in our industry.

Just means for the moment I cannot use amber in a dynamic application. Not the end of the world! I'm only

BTW Using the RGB Panel solves my linear format issue, as it works with my fitting. However it means I have to create one for each fitting, (I have a lot!) Also I can't see how to change the DMX address after it is created.

Love the software BTW. Great effort.
Cheers
sheddo

Hi and happy new year,

Can anyone advise if there is an existing fixture definition, (or if you have a custom fixture) that is similar to what i am trying to achieve?
No matter what I do the fitting is displayed as a 4x4 grid with the bottom right head missing.

Basically it is a linear fitting, length is not critical, but mine is 5' long.
It is essentially 15 RGBA heads.
No pan or tilt control.
(I think that is all the relevant info. Let me know if you need more)

Just looking for something that I can use to see what I am doing wrong.

Cheers
Glenn
GGGss

If you create a RGB matrix - there you can choose which size it has.
So a 15x1 is possible ... though not a RGBW one
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
sheddo

Did you mean and RGB Panel?

RGB Panel is how I got around the problem initially, (You can have RGBW matrix btw!)

However the problem is I then have to go through the creating process for every luminaire. I have quite a lot to do, and there are also some different lengths. Also the overall length and layout is likely to change around. Using a custom fitting is so much easier and quicker.
And you cant copy/clone an RGB Panel.
Also it seems that you cannot change the address of the RGB Panel or edit it once it is created.
GGGss

Since this thread not only involves 1 (one) 15x1 RGBWA line of fixtures,
and you want to add flexibility,
and you want to move the install to different places,
and afterwards you want to change DMX addresses of the RGB matrix,

There are a lot of issues you are experiencing.
A RGB panel is bound to a group of fixtures. If you change / add a new group the panel can be switched over - albeit you are limited to its dimensions.
Did you already have a look to the project file itself? (If you are extremely careful - you can change this directly in the project file. Open it in a text editor AFTER having a backup taken - if you break the structure, you break the project (!))
I had a project once involving 32 columns of different length with RGB led strips. Instead of creating a project going over 7 universes, I opted to clone hardware-wise. With some clever planning you can 'clone' one column assign its copy an other DMX address.

Maybe it's time to handle 1 problem after the other? In separate threads? Or a project planning phase on your part? Or are you learning QLC+ under the pressure of an upcoming project?
sheddo

Thanks GGGss, But I actually believe solving the Fixture Definition problem will solve the other issues.

Firstly;
I didn't look at the project file itself, (Too Scared!).
You are correct that I am learning QLC+, (fast!), but this is not for a project with a deadline. I work for a lighting manufacturer, and I have some surplus fittings that I am using around my home.

Secondly......... Eureka!
I seemed to have solved, (Mostly) the definition problem. Looks like a misunderstanding on my part.
The Layout field I have set to what is effectively the RGBA Heads, 15 x 1. However after looking at a couple of the standard fittings more closely i stumbled on something. The layout is actually each channel. so 15 RGBA heads means the layout should be 60 x 1. (15 heads x 4 colours x 1).
So the fitting sin the fixture monitor are all good.

The only thing to watch for is getting the layout right when creating the group to be used in the RGB Matrix. Though it can be edited after.