Can I simplify the Cue List widget side controls ?

A place where updates of QLC+ activities and technical articles are posted as if it was a blog

Are you OK with the proposal below ?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Yes, that's how I use Cue lists
100%
No, I'll explain my usage case
No votes

Total votes: 8
maximortal

some time ( more often than sometime ) when I'm in hurry ( and this in theater happen pretty always) I really need to do all manually
i.e. director decided to change getting in of an actor 5 min before start or ask me during the show to put a dark scene in some point
for scenarios above separated faders are excellent, but probably is just a habits of mine taken from desks as compulite and chamsys
JoTress

Hello, hello, hello,
I'm catching up a little late, but I'd like to ask kindly if it's possible to at least open up the possibility of having two cross-fade sliders, as we use this functionality quite often in our plays. As mentioned before, there are many transitions where you have to blend out scene x and fade into scene y, but independently of each other. With the new approach this is not possible anymore...
That'd be a great relief...
Thanks indeed!
Johannes
matthijskooijman

I'm a bit late to the party, but wanted to note that I have been using the manual unbalanced crossfading as well. This post is not intended as a complaint, but I would say even though a change has been made, that should not necessarily prevent further constructive discussion.

Like noted before, sometimes it results in a nicer fade when you can fade in the next scene before fading out the previous one. I guess this can usually be solved by adding more detail to the cue list (e.g. extra cues, manual timings, maybe even custom fade curves?), but as mentioned, this takes extra time (so separate faders can be a way to just "wing it" during the show). Also, separate faders allow for more dynamic fading, responding to what happens on stage which can sometimes be useful.

Then, I've been using the cue lists for audio too. There, I also sometimes want to fade in a next track, before fading out the previous track. Unlike with lighting, I think there is no way to work around this with extra cue list steps (adding a separate slider for some tracks would probably work, but then you would have to always break out of the que list for that one track, which is not so nice).

Having said that: I was not entirely happy with the previous implementation of separate faders either. Even though they worked well often, I did occasionally get confused and accidentally used the wrong fader, or had a jump in the levels. In part, this is a matter of improving the implementation, but I can see that these problems are also caused by the fundamental complexity of having two crossfaders interact in various ways (so fixing them might uncover or cause new issues).

I have a show coming up this weekend, so I'll be testing the new single-fader crossfade and see how much (if at all) I miss the two-fader version :-)
skankerror

I used these 2 faders for music cue-lists. It was very usefull.
I adjusted volume of audio with it, and even mute the file at 0%. And I could mix easily my 2 tracks as I liked.
I can't do that no more with 4.12.1.
For these shows I must downgrade to 4.12.0.
matthijskooijman

Hm, seems I forgot to follow up after my show a while back. I've been using the new behaviour, and indeed, it was pretty easy to use mostly. I haven't really missed the second fader (putting blackout scenes between regular scenes where needed was sufficient). One exception was with music fading, as skankerror also indicates, where it would have been better if I had been able to fade both scenes separately. Not a very big deal, though.