Timed Trial please?

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
Puddleglum

Is there a timed trial available? Our church's AV budget right now is "If the AV team members want to pay out of pocket, they may do so, but there is no budget money available."

Using the open DMX usb->dmx box with Redhat right now. Hoping to install on my Pi and use it in kiosk mode with a touch-screen monitor.

I would very much like to know that it -will- work before I start hitting congregation members up for a contribution.

Thanks!
mcallegari

There is no trial version.
I'll reply to your email later.
Puddleglum

Thanks. I expect we’ll end up purchasing it... just trying to be fiscally cautious. I can’t get the board to approve purchase of a $20 Logitech Bluetooth audio receiver or a $16.50 stomp chromatic tuner so that I can have mine back *chuckle*... 4 months running.

I used to be careless... then I lost my job...
Puddleglum

The touchscreen monitor I was using with the Pi with the Raspbian Stretch-Full does not function as a touchscreen. Rather the reason we went this route... the touchscreen. :)
Puddleglum

Also, would it be possible to add a button to permit console/terminal access rather than having to shutdown QLC to get to the command line.
GGGss

Puddleglum wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:22 pm Is there a timed trial available? Our church's AV budget right now is "If the AV team members want to pay out of pocket, they may do so, but there is no budget money available."

Using the open DMX usb->dmx box with Redhat right now. Hoping to install on my Pi and use it in kiosk mode with a touch-screen monitor.

I would very much like to know that it -will- work before I start hitting congregation members up for a contribution.

Thanks!
Back to the original question - you ask if it will work ... I guess this asks for some learning money - so it will cost you something to start creating a solution.
Now you are complaining that your chosen solution (touch screen) doesn't work ... too bad - study the object more
You wanted to have kiosk mode and now asking for a button to override kiosk mode? NoNo you wont get that!! Why in the first place?

The Pi-environment is not developed to do editing or program your show as clearly stated everywhere...
You do pre program your show on a way more powerful laptop / computer and after that you send the show file to the Pi.
With the use of the auto-start feature you can use the Pi only to change the looks of your show under live conditions... This is kiosk mode.

Where can the forum support you in the usage of QLC+??
You could start asking the forum with: "Does anyone has a working combination of a Raspi and a touch screen? What do I have to take into account? Culprits? Suggestions?"
Now people can start answering with stuff that comes in handy.

That your congregation is asking for free electricity ... doesn't really interest me - I'd say ... go elsewhere?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
edogawa

GGGss wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 am You wanted to have kiosk mode and now asking for a button to override kiosk mode?
I think that is a misunderstanding, the OP wants to access the system terminal, not Virtual console for editing... isn't that just Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc. as usual? Cannot check ATM.

On the RPi image QLC is run as an init service, with whatever magic it needs to bring up the graphical UI without an X Server. IIRC it runs on init level 7 - just like an X11 session would.
Puddleglum

GGGss wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 am Back to the original question - you ask if it will work ... I guess this asks for some learning money - so it will cost you something to start creating a solution.
Now you are complaining that your chosen solution (touch screen) doesn't work ... too bad - study the object more
Seems a bit hostile.

I have purchased it now. My congregation did not want free electricity... I wanted to see if the solution worked before purchasing (forced frugalness). The dev, thankfully said, "Buy it, and if it doesn't work, refund." That was the assurance I needed to invest out of pocket without the risk.

It's working great excepting the touchscreen issue... I don't wish to have the QLC+ in kiosk mode, I wish to have it be a program existing on a regular install where I can access wireless settings, install drivers, copy files, etc. This may be my ignorance of Pi, and it may be that I haven't installed/managed a linux/unix/etcix server/workstation in a long time. I harken from the olden days of a Leading Edge Model D with a 20mb harddrive and playing Everquest and Second Life in my imagination on a MUD in a vt3270 terminal on a sun or an IBM VMC mainframe terminal with clacky keyboards. Still getting my feet wet again. Would be grateful for some patience as I muddle through, and I only post questions for which I cannot (or have failed to) google the answer.

I'll try to assimilate your advice as it is good. Thank you.
Puddleglum

edogawa wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:35 pm
GGGss wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 am You wanted to have kiosk mode and now asking for a button to override kiosk mode?
I think that is a misunderstanding, the OP wants to access the system terminal, not Virtual console for editing... isn't that just Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc. as usual? Cannot check ATM.

On the RPi image QLC is run as an init service, with whatever magic it needs to bring up the graphical UI without an X Server. IIRC it runs on init level 7 - just like an X11 session would.
Thanks. I'm definitely playing catchup and operating from a position of ignorance. Thank you. This I did not know. Yes, I want a terminal so I can perform operations at the command line since there no GUI as you say. I can get to it... you have to switch back to design mode and then Quit QLC+ to get there now. I'm thinking, as you said, that there's no GUI, that there is no way for a terminal... fair enough... would have been a convenience, but the other way does work.

Regarding the Touchscreen and the person you're responding to... I had it working great on Raspbian Stretch. I had hoped that QLC+ would be a program -added- to that, not a replacement image with all helpful things like GUI wireless settings, other controls... the ability to install and use the matchbox-keyboard in conjunction with the touchscreen as I had before. I was mistaken (many misconceptions) on that, but I'm trying to figure it out and make it work...
Puddleglum

edogawa wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:35 pm I think that is a misunderstanding, the OP wants to access the system terminal, not Virtual console for editing... isn't that just Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc. as usual? Cannot check ATM.
Afraid no luck with Ctrl-Alt-F1.
mcallegari

It's written in the provided guide:
To gain control of the Raspberry Pi Linux system while QLC+ is running, just
click on the exit icon in the main view toolbar or hit the keys CTRL+F12 (to exit
from operate mode) and then CTRL+ALT+Backspace to obtain a shell access.
From there login as “pi” with password “raspberry”.
Puddleglum

Thank you. Received. Now if the other gent on my team will get a chance to get that Fedora box installed. 2 kids and a ton of commitments. Thanks for your help.