Using MIDI

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
Connor Faulder

Hi,
I'm fairly new to QLC+ and am just about confident with setting up basic virtual consoles etc and the basics. I admit though I haven't yet got round to trying out the software with actual lighting.
I have access to a Showtec Showmaster 24 DMX controller and am wondering if it is possible to use this as a controller for QLC+ and if so, how? The board has 3 MIDI sockets: in, out and through. I'd assume that it's possible to use it via MIDI but I'm not sure how this would be accomplished.

May I also say thanks for how simple and amazing this software is :)
Jano Svitok

I don't have the board, so I'm just guessing:

1. connect MIDI OUT from the ScanMaster to a MIDI port on your computer.
2. start QLC+
3. go to "Inputs/Outputs" tab
4. in the left column choose an unused universe
5. in the right column choose your MIDI port, and put check in the Input column
6. in the right column, go to "Profile" tab in the upper part of the window
7. choose Scantec Showmaster 24 profile - see, somebody has already made it for you :)

That's setup. Now you can go to your virtual console, right-click the widgets and assign "External input" - either by choosing the univers/channel, by choosing the control from the list, or by using autodetection. If you choose autodetect, just move a fader on the console, and QLC+ should fill in the rest.
Connor Faulder

Ah thanks, I overlooked the profile! I'm currently looking into a Enttec USB Pro MK2 which should give me DMX& MIDI so I'll give it a go then :)
Massimo Callegari

Hi, MIDI on the Enttec MK2 is not implemented.
When a user kindly sent his Mk2 to me, it didn't have the MIDI adapter (btw great Enttec strategy just to suck your money !) so no implementation of it.
I suggest to use way chaper MIDI adapters like the one I bought which does its job and works flawlessly:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Adaptor-M ... s=usb+midi
Chris

My Alias 8 uses MIDI through it's USB connection.
It has 16 knobs, 8 sliders, 16 buttons, and a master slider.
I can use them all through the regular autodetect.

It has another feature, where it has 15 banks of all these controls, selected by an extra rotary control with a 2 digit display. The different banks all give the same encoding to each control, but it changes the midi "channel" from 1-15 according to which bank you are on.
By setting the QLC+ input to "channels 1-16" QLC+ can see all banks, but it does not take account of the midi channel through the autodetect, so all banks are seen as being the same.

Would it be possible to extend the definition of midi external input on controls to include the midi channel?

OR, working from the other end

Would it be possible to include the feature that the widgets in a "collapsed" frame are not "active", so I could "bank select" this way?
I can see there could be problems here - what do you do with an active control if you collapse the frame while running? What happens to such a control when a frame is "uncollapsed" ...etc.

Thanks for reading, Chris.
Massimo Callegari

Hi, MIDI bank selection is in my TODO list, but I cannot start looking into it until a friend of mine lends me his BCF2000 again.

Frame collapsing state is just a visual thing, so nothing really happens to children widgets. They all remain active.
I implemented it for users asking for more space (or tabbed view) on the virtual console
Chris

OK, thanks Massimo.
If there's any MIDI tests I can do with my Alias 8, please let me know.
Chris.
Connor Faulder

Hmmm, they do offer a separate breakout cable for MIDI [ http://www.enttec.com/?main_menu=Products&pn=79147 ] (which looks a bit over priced at £28 but oh well...) that includes DMX & MIDI so I'd presume that would work. I'm going to send them an email anyway to ask about a few other queries I have before I commit to any purchases. I do like the idea of being able to use MIDI (well providing you can!) and DMX off the same unit.
Connor Faulder

Hi All,
Whilst on the subject of MIDI, may I ask another question?
How would you get about using a USB controller as a MIDI input? I understand that it's possible to use a virtual MIDI interface such as Fergo JoystickMIDI but is it possible to use something like this in QLC+? I'm guessing you'd require some kind of plugin for QLC+ to recognise the MIDI interface but I'm probably wrong.
Again, thanks for all the help and any you may give :)
Massimo Callegari

Huh ? There are several USB controllers supported by QLC+ that expose a MIDI interface (eg BCF2000)
It all depends on your controller drivers.
Connor Faulder

Hi, sorry for the delayed response but I've been away. Upon reading my previous post I've realised yes, it is a bit confusing. What I was referring to as "USB controllers" were joysticks, gamepads etc. I've just discovered the problem which was an error with MidiYoke so I'm now using LoopBe along with Fergo JoystickMIDI. Thanks for the support, I do quite like the idea of being able to control a light using a Xbox controller! :)
Aexe

Hi. I'm using Logic to play audio and midi simultaneously, allowing me to synchronize my light show to my band's backing tracks. I'm finding that I'm running out of midi notes (256) due to assigning one to each scene built in QLC+ (plus I try and avoid using the Control commands as they're less convenient to use in Logic). Chris mentioned above about adding the ability to select the midi channel and I want to second that ability. I would be able to add a second midi channel's worth of scenes (256), a second midi track in Logic set to transmit on channel 2 and then I would have the ability to control an entire DMX universe from the two midi channels.
Massimo Callegari

There is an experimental branch which supports MIDI omni mode, but unless you are able to compile QLC+ from sources with all the GIT implications, I guess you need to wait for the code to be merged and a new version to be released.
Willy_Pinguino

hey Massimo... have you received the BCF2000 from your friend? from your name you semes be italian like me... if you aren't so far from udine, maybe I could lend the mine BCF2000 to you instead your friend... :) contact me if you are interested!
Enrico Zivelonghi

Hi Massimo, I'm pretty new in QLC+ and i'm trying to capture input from "SGM Studio 24" through MIDI port, with a dedicated MIDI Cable (the dmx universe is controlled by ENTTEC Mk2 without midi). Is it possible or I need to create a "SGM Studio 24" profile?
Thank you for your support!
Enrico.
Massimo Callegari

Hi, profiles are only a way to turn MIDI codes into "human readable" strings.
Basically you don't need it, but for an advanced device like your SGM, I strongly suggest to create/use one.
The profile mapping wizard is quite easy to use.
Please read the documentation and watch the first video here:
http://www.qlcplus.org/tutorials.html

If you create a profile for the SGM Studio 24, don't forget to share it here when you're done :)
oskarmusician

Hi! Searching Enttec web page they do mention 3 software applications that works with their Enttec USB Pro MkII interface promising MIDI operation; D-PRO, liveShowsoftware & QLC+ https://www.enttec.com/products/control ... rface-dmx/ I would like to get their 15 Pin Connector specification to get it which pin = for which DMX (pin1,pin2,pin3...) I/O and which pins are for MIDI In (Pin10,pin11,pin12...) and which MIDI (pin13,pin14..) for Out==> ?? As a DIY bastler 've got an idea to replace and rewire the device in a more suitable half 19'' rack, re-soldering the connectors (15 pin D-SUB connector- and appropriate pins) with te XLRs MIDI and standard USB 2 connectors to avoid expensive Break-out cable and tinny Mini-USB connector. Regards!