Traditional lights on 2nd universe with 3 pin NSI dimmer packs

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Mac OSX operating system
Phoenixiisf

Hi

I have my set-up working but I'm adding a 2nd universe with traditional lights and I can't get it to work.

Mac High Sierra with an Enttec DMX USB MK2 Pro connecting Blizzard Colorise LEDs.

On the traditional end, I'm using NSI 4600 dimmer packs (3 pin) with a 3pin-5pin jumper to my Enttec DMX USB MK2 Pro on DMX2.

When I plug the dimmer packs into the Enttec, all the traditional lights go on. No control at all. But at least the connection is being made.

I have an old NSI Control Interface I/F - 501 but that doesn't seem to help. I've tried every configuration in the manual.

I'm stumped.

At another theatre I have this same set up but my dimmer packs are 5 pin leprecon ULD's. I'm wondering if the 3 pin NSI's are just to old to work with QLC+.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!!
Ty
Phoenix Theatre San Francisco
janosvitok

From a quick internet search it seems that:

1. 3 pin XLR connectors ARE NOT DMX AND connecting them with DMX MAY DAMAGE either side of the connection.
DON'T DO THAT! The protocol name is Microplex or MPX. These can't even be upgraded to DMX. http://onstagevisuals.com/rental/pdf/nsi-nd4600.pdf
2. NSI Control Interface I/F - 501 should be able to convert DMX to MPX. Read the manual how to do that and what are the limitations. https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/IF_501_Manual.pdf
3. ULD are DMX-based.

So: 5 pin cable enttec -> control i/f and possibly to other DMX lights, and 3 pin cable from Control I/F to 4600 dimmer pack.
siegmund

janosvitok wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 am 3 pin XLR connectors ARE NOT DMX AND connecting them with DMX MAY DAMAGE either side of the connection.
I'm sure you meant this a bit different, since 3-pin XLR connectors transferring DMX signals definitely exist.
janosvitok

Obviously I meant "3 pin XLR connectors on the NSI 4600 device".
Phoenixiisf

Thanks for responding.

I am connecting my path just as you wrote..

5 pin enttec --> I/F --> 3 pin to dimmer pack

I studied both the NSI and I/F manual and it should work.

I am using a microplex to dmx jumper when I connect directly to the enttec

Thanks
Ty
janosvitok

What is "microplex to dmx jumper"?