Speed dial on VC and chaser

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
yokosuna

It´s me again.

When a chaser uses timer "per step" then the speed dial in the VC has no effect.
This is also true if only one of the timers ist set to "per step" or "default".
The documentation stays unclear ...
What´s the concept/idee behind this behaviour ? Thank you.
plugz

yokosuna wrote: This is also true if only one of the timers ist set to "per step" or "default".
Can you be more explicit on this ? Thank you.
yokosuna

Well, franky spoken, it only works as from me expected when all timers (fade in, fade out, hold) are set to "common".
Then the different times can be manipulated through the VC control.
Any other combination seems not to be responsive by/to the widget. Not when I assign
the chaser directly to the widget nor when I assign the underlying single scenes to the widget.
BTW, I would like to see the "initial"" value of the chaser timers to be "visible" in the widget, ´cause at the moment the
chaser start with it´s predefined values - say 100 ms - but the widget shows - say 5 sec, which was the last value I entered
in the dial, thus making the chaser a large skip to the new values.
Thank you.
Last edited by yokosuna on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plugz

yokosuna wrote: Well, franky spoken, it only works as from me expected when all timers (fade in, fade out, hold) are set to "common".
Then the different times can be manipulated through the VC control.
Any other combination seems not to be responsive by/to the widget. Not directly when I assign
the chaser to the widget nor when I assign the underlying single scenes to the widget.
So you mean that when Hold is set to "Common", and Fade Out is set to "Per Step", then the VC speed dial does not control "Hold" ?
yokosuna wrote: BTW, I would like to see the "initial"" value of the chaser timers to be "visible" in the widget, ´cause at the moment the
chaser start with it´s predefined values - say 100 ms - but the widget shows - say 5 sec, which was the last value I entered
in the dial, thus making the chaser a large skip to the new values.
Thank you.
The speed dial can be affected to several functions at the same time. And to different parts of theses functions (duration/fade in/fade out). How do we choose which one to display ?
yokosuna

So you mean that when Hold is set to "Common", and Fade Out is set to "Per Step", then the VC speed dial does not control "Hold" ?
No - I mean it doesn´t control anything at all. You have to switch ALL timers to common even if you would only control "duration" with the widget.
That´s my observation. I let like to correct.
The speed dial can be affected to several functions at the same time. And to different parts of theses functions (duration/fade in/fade out). How do we choose which one to display ?
Yeap - I see what you mean. Even if this is the exception of the rule one can do that, IMHO.
Entering say - 1 sec - will finally overwrite whatever is in the function at all.
So at the end, it doesn´t matter what "wrong" value is the inital value of the dial.
But with only one function attached, there is a chance it isn´t as "wronger" as the other :D
Let me clearly point out: this is no criticism of the programm - just a consideration.
yokosuna

schupps...
bestdani

That's not what I've observed, it works well in this test workspace, maybe a special constellation in your case does cause the problems?
chase time test.qxw
(5.6 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
yokosuna

Thank you for your work ! I tried your sample and this is what I observed: change the widget
and set "Fade in" to - say - 1/2. Run the chaser. It does not change the fade-in of any step...
it always fades the predefined values of the chaser regardless of the dial widget.

Anyway, rethinking my concept I came to the conclusion that in a chaser only "common" should/can
be influenced at all since the speed widget can only work with absolute times... so, yes, it´s by design,
As soon as anything other than "common" timing is set, the widget ignores its settings but keeps the chasers
values and that´s ok.

Perhaps I´m lost in the jungle of chasers, scenes, collections and sequences ... :-)
What I wanted to achiev is/was: the second step in a chaser should last - say - twice as long as the
first step but the third step, regardless of the others, always 500 msec. And clearly the overall
timing must be controllable from the vc.

Jesus, I MUST analyze the code as soon as possible ...
bestdani

Such a behaviour would be cool and helpful. Maybe a chaser option for "relative" timing per step would be cool, like:

Code: Select all

step    hold    fade in     fade out
1       1.0     0.25        0.0
2       2.0     1.0         0.0
3       1.2     0.0         0.0     
where the actual hold time is 1.2 * widged_hold_time then for example.