How to change scene with midi program change?

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
us272

Hi,
I'm new to QLC+ and already created scenes and can control my lights.
I setup the midi input to my M-Audio 410 channel 16 and run a sequencer to play my audio tracks and send midi
program change to all my midi devices using different channels of course. My question is how to setup the 'mapping' in QLC+ to call scene 10 when it receive a program change 10 for example ?

Thanks a lot !
plugz

us272

After hours of reading and watching tutorial, I still cannot have scene change with midi input. The video tutorial shows a joystick icon in the universe page when receiving a midi message in an older QLC+ version. Is it still the case with newest version ? I don't see any joystick icon when sending midi control or program change.

Thanks,
plugz

What have you tried ?
mcallegari

Most likely you are sending/receiving data on the wrong MIDI channel
Check the MIDI plugin configuration window
us272

I tried many things but let me explain the setup. I use the same computer to run a software sequencer (Sonar) and QLC+. The sequencer drive a firewire M-Audio 410 interface for audio and midi in and out. The midi out of this device send program change for a multieffect on channel 15. So, in QLC+, I selected this M-audio device as midi input on channel 16. Of coursem, in the sequencer, I added a midi track on channel 16 for the scene change. I tried both notes and program change data. I created some scene in QLC+ who works fine manually. So, I tought that sending midi data (on the light channel 16) would be catch by QLC+ as selected in the input mapping and profile. I also tried the midi thru button in front of the M-audio. May be we cannot do that ? Anyway I have another Roland USB midi interface and will try to separate this and connect the midi out of the M-audio to the IN of the Roland inteface and make the mapping in QLC+ accordingly. The goal is to run the sequencer for audio out, the midi program change for mulieffect and scene light control and the QLC+ on the same computer. The DMX out is an Enttec USB Pro.

Any hint will be appreciate !!

Thanks for your help.
mcallegari

Alright. Operating system then, please.
OSX for example has a weird way to handle MIDI devices. You need to use IAC.
On Linux no problems at all.
On Windows you can route MIDI signals for example via virtual driver like LoopBe
us272

Ok, I installed and configured LoopBe1 in QLC+ for Windows 7 (64) but still no midi data receiving BUT, I installed the Roland UM-1S midi interface and configured it and get the joystick icon activity in the Universe 1. At least a little improvement. I know now that I'm receiving the midi data from the sequencer. But still no scene change. I probably miss something in the configuration but cannot point it out for now. Here is what I did:
- Map Input Roland UM-1S interface
- Create a profile for it and add 4 buttons in the channel tab (4 program change) all on the midi channel 16.
- I created the related program changes in the midi track of the sequencer again on the midi channel 16.
- 4 scenes were already created and works fine manually in the virtual console in operate mode.
- I selected the right external input in the properties of each button of the virtual console.
- I configure all this using midi notes instead of program change by reconfiguring everything...
Still no scene change with the sequencer...

I probably miss something or doing something wrong but don't know what..

Thanks for your help...
plugz

Did you create your input profile with the autodetection button, to make sure channels are mapped correctly ?
us272

I tried but nothing happend. After 10 minutes I stopped it and buid it manually.
plugz

us272 wrote: I don't see any joystick icon when sending midi control or program change.
us272 wrote:I tried but nothing happend. After 10 minutes I stopped it and buid it manually.
If can't do these two things, don't even bother with the virtual console. You have to see the joystick icon.

Have you tried to change settings in the MIDI plugin configuration window ?
us272

Ok, I found the issue. The light track from the Sonar sequencer send program change on midi channel 16 but, it seems that QLC+ 'see' this data on midi channel 1.
I confirmed the midi output channel 16 by using an external multi effect on channel 16. I cannot explain but anyway, knowing this I can live with that. I can start to build the show now !

Thanks to all for your help !!