Use GPIO pins to trigger scenes

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
Lpluums

Hi Karrika,

When will you ship the boards? for a new project i would love to buy one!

kind regards!
karrika

Lpluums wrote:Hi Karrika,

When will you ship the boards? for a new project i would love to buy one!

kind regards!
I have sent out a few boards. So they do exist now in small quantities. I am testing this myself as we are working on a play. My Raspberry Pi 3 should also arrive shortly. The DiscoHAT eeprom should support it. But that has not been tested yet. It does work with Raspberry Pi 2 and the DiscoCap (without en eeprom) works with PiZero. Other models have not been tested as I own only these two.

The documentation is still not written. I hope to put together some basic examples of how to set up the GPIO push buttons and how to activate these in the Input/Output tab.

PeterD

I have just received my DiscoHAT board. This is a beautiful piece of kit! I am eager to begin using it (although it may take a while to find the time...). I can test it with a B+ and Pi 2.

One project I'd like to try is interfacing 0-10v analog dimmers to QLC+ via GPIOs. If possible, I'd use 4 of the DiscoHAT's isolated inputs. I realize these are designed for contact closures. but if there's a way to read varying voltages via these inputs I'd be interested to try. Otherwise, I'll use 4 free GPIO pins directly.

I've read the schematic and the datasheets for the LTV-847 and BAV70. But I confess to being much more of a software than hardware guy, and not really able to see how the R/C network and BAV70 dual diodes play in detecting button closure (are they there to provide debounce dampening?). More importantly, I cannot see how they would affect how the LTV-847 if the RJ-45 pins were presented with varying voltages.

Whether I can connect through the DiscoHAT inputs, or go directly to the free GPIO pins, I'll have to figure out what value of resistor to add so that the 0-10v is dropped down to a 0-5v range...

Peter
karrika

Hi Peter,

The diodes are for protecting the opto-couplers. They break with a 6V reverse voltage without. The RC circuit is for damping the noise on the line.

Interfacing analog dimmers needs some electronics in between. It would be easier to implement digital rotary encoders.

I have been pretty busy too. Lately writing music for our next play and I also bought an O2H water light for the theater. It has DMX control also.
ElvisOwen

As per my knowledge it might also be nice to add support for digital rotary knobs. They take just 2 GPIO pins. We would need it for our theatre as a master volume control and master intensity controller.
The Raspberry Pi has two SPI interfaces that can easily be extended to handle hundreds of bi-directional GPIO pins with minimal code writing.
Another interesting thing would be to have native DMX bidirectional support using the UART pins on Raspberry Pi. Of course with properly isolated interfaces.
biffboff

Hi - im trying to send an RGB value from an RGB sensor using your code. Do you know how to send the RGB (can you show an example) and also how do i set this up on the virtual console's button.
Im trying to set a Par Can to the RGB of what the colour sensor sees :)

thanks!