New QLC+ ... touchscreen support

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
Frank

Hi Massimo,

thank you for adding the __Shutdown__ button yet now!!!

Frank
Frank

Hi Massimo,

do you think that this small TFT would meet the requirements too:

It exactly fits onto the 40 pins GPIO of the RPi B+... (but doesn't use the whole functionality of these 40 pins of course).

There are step-by-step instructions ()...
... and my question is if there is a hope that your kernel won't be destroyed by installing so much "firmware" code...

Should I try the installation or is it not recommended???

Frank
Massimo Callegari

Hello Frank,
I would say that display is supported as well. It works on the same framebuffer driver of the Adafruit one.

I followed a couple of links from the GitHub page you posted, and found the original driver code:
https://github.com/notro/fbtft

and the supported displays:
https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki/LCD-Shields

As you can see they are both listed (Adafruit and Watterott)

However, Watterott provides a full Raspberry Pi image, so you would loose QLC+. Adafruit, instead, have been smarter and they provide only the necessary packages for a Raspbian image (the one I used for QLC+)

In conclusion, you'd need to build a modified kernel to obtain the drivers for Watterott display. Something I don't suggest to anyone not having a certain confidence in building a Linux kernel.

Otherwise, you can try the Adafruit packages. If the driver is the same and if they haven't touched the sources, it should work out of the box.
Massimo Callegari

This mini LCD story is starting to intriguing me...so I'll probably get one myself and include the drivers in a future image :)
Frank

Hello Massimo,

your "final" statement is the very best I could expect related to this topic...

Thank you in advance!

Frank
Massimo Callegari

Sorry Frank, there are issues with SourceForge:
https://sourceforge.net/p/qlcplus/discu ... /6a390f32/
Austin Parrish Thomas

Massimo,

First off, thank you so much for all you are doing with QLC+, it is truly an amazing piece of software!

In relation to this topic, could there be, or is there already a way to only show the Virtual Console? With these small touch screens it would be great to have this option and considering you keep mentioning that the Pi isn't really meant for project editing anyway, some of the project editing features seem to be in the way on the Pi. I apologies in advance if this has already been brought up elsewhere!

Thanks!
Massimo Callegari

Hi, like on the desktop version, launch QLC+ with the -k option.
Written in the documentation:
http://www.qlcplus.org/docs/commandlineparameters.html
Massimo Callegari

Hi again Frank. I just noticed that the Watterott display is only 2.8" 320x240.
I think it's just too small !

I would say 3.5" is the minimum requirement. It's a 480x320 display that fits on the same size of the RPi. Imagine the old iPhone display size.

I just purchased this: http://www.banggood.com/3_5-Inch-320-X- ... 58458.html

Should be the equivalent of the Adafruit one (if not the same!).
Very cheap and free shipping (at least to Italy)
Austin Parrish Thomas

Whoops sorry, I didn't think about that... Thanks!
Frank

Hi Massimo,

I'm understanding your doubt. To support your development (testing, to gain experience and so on) I ordered the same one as you (thank you for the link!).

But finally - I'm quite sure - every small display will be good enough to help operating a finalized light show on the RPi, because only a few touches are necessary to do so...

Yesterday I tested the procedure of loading the necessary drivers (and tools) to convert the very new Raspbian (2015-01-31) into a standalone RPi. I connected it with a 3,2" TFT ( or ).

They are 320x240 too and are working quite good.

Firstly I found only sorrowful messages concerning these types of displays (they are called WaveShare SpotPear), because they came with a special img-file and no upgrade procedure worked for them. Unbelievable... Only a few features were integrated into that img-file. Quite useless...

But yesterday I found these very detailed tutorials ( and ) and the success came really only a few minutes later!

A very interesting information is, that the used driver () includes a wide range of supported TFTs!

And if it should be possible for you to go this way, I think it will be a very big success of your QLC+ on RPi. If it is possible for you to preserve that generic approach, it will be quite simple for a lot of interested guys to complete their QLC+ controllers...

As you can see / feel, I'm very enthusiastic and full of hope for this extension of your very nice development.

Thank you in advance
Frank
Frank

Hi Massimo,

as a next step I successfully connected an other TFT touch screen to the RPi (). It's that one I mentioned before...

I wouldn't mention this little success if it had been as simple as described in the tutorial I referred above (). There was specified to only exchange the name of the TFT inside two "command lines" of the __/etc/modules__ file. I won't describe the necessary changes here because it's not the right place for it, but I could deliver more details if they are useful for you...

That tutorial (plus some important changes for other types of TFT) helps really to equip a RPi with such a small "head".

On the other hand I know, that this isn't the solution for you to implement support for (any) TFT touch screen in relation with QLC+ on RPi, but may be there are "hidden" hints for easier finding a solution.

Many thanks for any remark.

Frank
Frank

Hi Massimo,

the 3,5" (480x320) touch screen (we ordered "together") arrived at me today...

I think - if not happened already - your part will arrive at you soon.

Hopefully you are glad to hear these "busy" news too...?

Thank you in advance
Frank
Massimo Callegari

Hi Frank, mine hasn't arrived yet. So I guess it will in a few days.
I'll keep you posted when I get onto it.

Cheers
austinpthomas

I'm using a pi 2 and I'm trying to get a 7" touchscreen installed (http://www.sainsmart.com/7-inch-tft-lcd ... a-2av.html), but I can't get any results from the command lsusb, it says the command doesn't exist. Any suggestions? I'm running the latest image which was just put out yesterday. Thanks! (This is a really nice screen btw!)
mcallegari

austinpthomas wrote:I'm using a pi 2 and I'm trying to get a 7" touchscreen installed (http://www.sainsmart.com/7-inch-tft-lcd ... a-2av.html), but I can't get any results from the command lsusb, it says the command doesn't exist. Any suggestions? I'm running the latest image which was just put out yesterday. Thanks! (This is a really nice screen btw!)
apt-get install usbutils :?:
austinpthomas

Thanks for the quick response! I had tried that before but it wouldn't install. I get this "no installation candidate." I am connected to the internet and can ping out if that helps? Thanks!

austinpthomas

I figured it out! I did apt-get update, then did apt-install usbutils, and now lsusb works!
austinpthomas

I'm having trouble getting my eGalax Touch screen working, it shows up with lsusb and shows up as an input. Any advice or direction? Thanks in advance!
mcallegari

austinpthomas wrote:I'm having trouble getting my eGalax Touch screen working, it shows up with lsusb and shows up as an input. Any advice or direction? Thanks in advance!
This topic was opened to discuss another kind of touchscreen, connected via SPI and using a particular Linux driver.
Your case is different, as the display is basically standard HDMI + a USB connection to send back the touchscreen information.

Now if you want us to help you, you need at least to tell us on which device the touchscreen is mapped. It should be something like "/dev/input/eventX"
Once you identify the right device doing

Code: Select all

cat /dev/input/eventX
Should produce an output when you touch the screen.
Then you need to tell QLC+ (basically Qt) to listen to that interface.
Try something like this

Code: Select all

service qlcplus stop
export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/eventX
qlcplus -w -p
Further information here: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/embedded-linux.html