Audio file low in volume

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
maximortal

at first I have to declare: i'm a total noob about linux
secondary i've encountered a problem try to play an audio file inside QLC+
I'm with the last release 4.11.1 and by default the system volume is very very low (to better understand my loudspeaker system-mixer is set to a industrial standard couse i'm inside a studio)
to solve I found somewhere someone suggesting to run

Code: Select all

alsamixer
I ran it and adjusted volume...now it's better, still a bit lower than expected, but good.
I share this to help others noob like me out here
P.S.: plz Massimo add few lines about this inside Q&A section if you think that this behaviour is common for anyone 'couse the level set by default do not match with professionals systems
markzvo

Yeah this definitely needs to be in the document. This caused quite a headache for me.
mcallegari

I think I have left a note at the beginning of the document: it is not meant to teach you how to use linux. There's plenty of websites and tutorials online.
The guide is meant to give directions specific to the QLC+ usage on the Raspberry Pi.

Imagine if I have to add to the QLC+ documentation how to adjust the volume in Windows or macOS. It would be ridiculous.

In any case you did good to share the information in the forum, so other users can find it.
markzvo

Well when you put it that way - it makes sense... "how to change the volume" seems silly, but I will say - Changing the volume on commandline Linux is not clicking a cute little speaker icon like 99% of users are used to, it is not intuitive, no user would ever think to type "alsamixer" randomly - you would need to know this command - therefore I have included how to do it in my documentation for the QLC+ project I delivered to my client. It's only one line. Easy enough:

To change the volume on Raspberry Pi, simply type "alsamixer" at the command line and adjust with the up/down arrow keys. Press Esc when done.

However, I do think it is worth noting that the default volume level of the Pi image seems to be too low so this step is almost a requirement.
edogawa

There's definitely no commandline program necessary to change volume in linux. Alsamixer is just one way to do it, there are several GUI programs using the same ALSA system calls, e.g. alsamixergui, kmix. Alsamixer (the CLI program) is recommended because it's the "official" mixer app, part of the ALSA project and the most complete implementation.

Nowadays linux desktops usually run the pulseaudio sound server on top of ALSA for a more convenient audio experience. But that means another layer of abstraction and the pulseaudio mixer works on a higher level, not directly on the hardware, if I'm not mistaken. Therefore, to set "physical" levels in hardware, one kind or another of ALSA mixer app has to be used.
maximortal

I can clearly understand what Massimo means, from his point of wiev the raspy and qlc+ are not for "casual" users and probably I agree.
What now I can ask to every one is that ( OT ) why we/you community create a "QLC+ on raspy for dummies guide" ?
i.e.: I'm a professional light designer and I use QLC+ on my laptop..I heard about option to run it on a raspberry... so cool that i want to try but I'm not also a linux geek ( as I'm indeed).
I think that linux philosopy ask us to contribute to help and create this kind o stuff like dummy gide and so on. I'm not able to do it but if some one want to start it I can help with translations video tutorial and so and so.
Just my two cents.