Rasp Pi 3 Install and Performance

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
cas

Hello,

Just looking an the opportunity of the Rasp Pi, as cheaper for the project, if I setup the entire show file on another computer will this work to make slight edits to cues or if I use standard colours for lighting and positions will this work,

only got 6 LED, 4 generic freshnels (dmx dimmer) and 1 or 2 pinspots. not a big setup.

How can I build the system on a rasp pi, also will the rasp pi work with Enttec OpenUSB and a Midi Controller (AKAI Mini).......mostly will all run from a built in monitor, but how how I go about connecting it to a tablet web browser etc, as I like this as can setup at back and take the tablet with me. if needing to do certain tasks.
cas

Not sure if anyone has seen this post, looking for some information primarily on need this to run shows and create a few lighting scenes but. will this be fine for that for editing straight still lights. but primarily all recorded scenes will be saved as submasters and same colours used repeatedly.

So wondering if RPI 3 will be enough for this with a powered USB hub and 10.1" screen with apc akai mini.

Thanks
mcallegari

@casmrvll I can't actually see a question mark in your posts. What is the actual question ?
If you wonder about performance or controllers support, have a look at the QLC+ website RPi page
The video has been shot back in 2014 on a RPi 1, and it was controlling something like 800+ DMX channels.
doughadfield

Hi, I'm running QLC+ on a couple of Raspberry Pi 3 devices. I'm also planning to use Pi Zero boards as really small lighting controllers!! The power of the Pi is perfectly adequate to run light shows. the thing that takes most of the CPU power is the GUI interface, if you're actually editing your workspaces on the Pi itself (using a keyboard, mouse and HDMI monitor connected direcly to the Pi). A better way of using Pis is to edit your workspace on a separate computer, then download the workspace to the Pi via the web interface. This works really well and is extremely easy to use!

It's incredibly simple to get QLC+ running on the Pi, as Massimo has created an OS image for this purpose. Download the image file from the link Massimo will send you (once you've sent your very reasonable donation of a few euros) then copy it onto an SD card, exactly as you did for Raspian, or whatever OS image you're currently using with your Pi.

Then you'll have a completely built and working QLC+ environment running on your Pi. Boot the Pi while connected to a wired ethernet network with a DHCP server on it (your wifi router is probably running your DHCP service) then connect to your PI at whatever IP address it comes up with (connect a monitor and watch the boot messages to get the IP address) with IP port 9999 (eg. http://192.168.1.23:9999) and you're up and running!!

The QLC+ Pi image created by Massimo also has the very useful OLA software on it. You can turn the Pi into a very responsive DMX controller simply by stopping the qlcplus service and starting the olad service:

log into the pi using ssh (user pi, password raspberry if I remember - it's in the qlc+ raspberry pi image document downloaded with the image software)
then run:
sudo service qlcplus stop
sudo service olad start

now you can connect to the pi using a web browser, at port 9090 and set up the ola settings from the web page.

have fun with PIs!!!

Doug
FMBand

Doug - I have a quick question. I am thinking of doing something similar. I would be using a raspberry pi setup to run some 4 channel generic RGB par lights. What I am wanting to do is use a midi device (an alesis samplepad pro) to send a signal to step through the lighting scenes. I would be also using an eDMX pro 1. Would this be reasonable? I have not done much with this and am a bit ignorant - I have just been using an ipad connected to a router and the eDMX. I want to make sure before I start digging into QLC+ that this is within the capabilities of the software.