Autostart not working

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
magicaltrevor70

Hi,

Manual install of QLC+ on a Raspberry Pi 3

I have used the web interface to set a project to autostart. I can see 'autostart.qxw' in the /root/.qlcplus directory, but when I start up the pi, I still have a blank project.

Also, the datestamp of the file in /root/.qlcplus file is quite old...the new one seems to be going into /home/pi/.qlcplus. I've even copied this file to /root/.qlcplus, but still no auto start

Is there a way that I can get QLC+ to autostart with the file in the home directory instead? Or is there something else wrong?
frunk

I discovered access to that folder is only possible if you run qlc+ from root... so just "sudo" it and it will give it the rights to open autostart.
magicaltrevor70

I was thinking strongly it must be a permissions issue.

How do I startup QLC+ as root?
frunk

I think the standard command line run as the box starts is:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/qlcplus --web --operate --overscan --open /root/.qlcplus/autostart.qxw
So to start it manually (assuming it is not running already) is to log into your PI

username: pi
password: raspberry (default - perhaps take this opportunity to change it :D )

and then in the command line just type:

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/bin/qlcplus --web --operate --overscan --open /root/.qlcplus/autostart.qxw
sudo is the command you put in front of ANYTHING on Linux to run it with root privileges. It may ask you to enter your password again.
magicaltrevor70

OK, but that's not going to autostart QLC+ when the RPi boots up though is it? This is a command line to start QLC+ as root instead of 'pi'

Sorry if I'm not being clear...I want to plug in the RPi and it start QLC+ automatically, and load a project.
frunk

I have installed from the base image and it starts that file automatically... as the pi boots it runs that command line and starts it just fine as it is the right user.

You just have to tell QLC to Autostart it... easiest way is from the web interface (as I have it handy here), but it is the same in the normal interface (or similar):

At the top click "Configuration"... then Click "System" that then appears at the top.

Under "Project autostart" just press the radio button next to "Use current project" and then hit "Apply Changes".

It is hidden away a bit deep, but this worked for me.

Sorry if I confused you or thought the problem was more complex than it was! Or you have already done this.
magicaltrevor70

Yup, I already tried that. It was the first thing I did. I think it works from the base image, but not the manual install.

Wondering if I need to modify /etc/init.d/qlcplus file somehow.
frunk

Ahhh manual install... there I can't help you... :) Sorry. Yeah - you are probably right - it is probably a permissions issue - 90% of my Linux problems are! In a previous version I just saved a preset file to the root directory and loaded it from there fine. Try that - it may get you passed any permissions issues, it certainly did not not need to be in that default path. But there is a load of other stuff in that folder that QLC+ may need access to, so this may not fix everything. Worth a punt if you have not tried it already.
magicaltrevor70

I thought of that and tried that also with no success.

If I could find some logs I might know what is going on. Do you know if there are logs anywhere?
frunk

Do you know if there are logs anywhere?
Shrug - perhaps where you hid the cow??? :D

I find remembering where the standard syslogs are a pain... so I am not your man. Sorry I did not manage to help. I just hit a similar problem in what I was having an issue with and thought it may be the same problem and pitched in. I think you need someone with "proper skills" to help you now.
magicaltrevor70

Thanks for your help. Yeah Yeah, the cow is back. He saw beans lots of beans ;)

Looking back at the manual installation instructions, because I am using an X desktop environment it looks like QLC autostarts using /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

At the end of that file I had to add the line: @qlcplus -platform xcb --web --operate

So from what I can gather, /etc/init.d/qlcplus is not at play here. I have an autostart.qxw file in /home/pi/.qlcplus, which I have replaced with the file I want to start up, still no dice.
drbob

This may solve a lot of people's problems with this. (Especially us Mac & Windows people)

While running QLC+

Click on the Save As icon.
Navigate to /root/
Right Click on the Empty window space where you'd see files.
Click "Show Hidden Files"
Navigate to the /root/.qlcplus/
Save your show as autostart.qxw

Since QLC+ signs in and runs as the superuser/root on the Pi it should save with the right permissions.

Hope this helps!
Sn00zerman

Just my 2cents:

To startup QLC+ at startup, take a look at my thread: https://www.qlcplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14509
I described how to set QLC+ to startup after boot, loading a workspace, going fullscreen, and running the webinterface also ...

good luck,
Kris