GPIO plugin on other platforms?... for config only

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
rawbengal

I am working on a project in which I am doing all my show programming on a Mac and then transferring the finished project to a Raspberry Pi for playback. I am using the GPIO plugin which (currently) is only available on the RPi. I have noticed one problem with this setup is that I need to be on the RPi in order to configure the GPIO pins. For my own build on the Mac, I have included the GPIO plugin and modified it to do a runtime test of the existence of GPIO support.

Essentially, in the plugin ::init method, I am setting a variable indicating if '/sys/class/gpio' exists and then disabling all the file and IO operations if it doesn't.

So, is there any interest in me submitting a merge request with this change? It seems like this may go against the philosophy of how things are set up in QLC+ since several of the input/output plugins available seem to be dynamic with the machine you are on.

Rob
mcallegari

The GPIO plugin is disabled on desktop platforms on purpose.
It is quite dangerous to act on GPIOs of a PC, so it's not a good idea to enable it by default. (so I won't merge such change, sorry)

What you can do is this:
1- create your project on your PC
2- transfer it on the RPi
3- configure the GPIO plugin on the Pi and save the project again
4- copy it back to the PC and open the qxw file with a text editor. Copy the whole <InputOutputMap> section in another text file
5- every time you edit the project on your PC, before transferring it to the RPi, replace the <InputOutputMap> section back again

This is a safe way which preserves the IO mapping.
rawbengal

It is quite dangerous to act on GPIOs of a PC, so it's not a good idea to enable it by default.
I was not aware that there are any desktop machines with GPIO support let alone dangerous GPIO hardware exposed to an unprivileged user.

I suppose I could just do:

Code: Select all

m_hasGPIO = QLCFile::isRaspberry()
instead of:

Code: Select all

m_hasGPIO = QDir("/sys/class/gpio").exists();
Does that work?

Any solution that requires copying contents of the .qxw file does not work in my situation because the guy eventually doing the show programming is not a technical user. It needs to be as simple as "save this file and copy it to the RPi (or transfer it via the web interface)." I *love* that QLC+ uses XML for the .qxw format so that we can inspect and edit it but, I prefer not to rely on that for normal use.

If needed, I'll keep this in my local fork but it seems the general problem of being able to set up a project on one machine and easily transfer it to another could be improved.

thanks again!
Rob