Raspberry Pi 3 Model B + WLan Hotspot + FX5 DE Interface

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
Fendo

Hello togehter,

before i buy this great RPi QLC+ image i want to know if the project i planing is possible.

Hardware:
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
FX5 DE Interface

What i like to do:
I want to control my lights (not a lot, only a few led pars and some dimmer) via my smartphone and the app "touchOSC" or any other osc app.
But i dont want to setup a seperate WLan router for the connection. I want a hotspot hostet by my RPi 3.
Optional i like to plug in an usb keypad to control the lights directly.
The IF i use is the FX5 what is supported by QLC+ and i think is no problem to use.

What i see is that every feature i want is supported by the RPi QLC+ excluded the WLan Hotspot. So what i want to know is, is it possible to
set up an Hotspot directly by the RPi? I know that it is possible at the Raspian OS, but is it also possible at the modified QLC+ version?

Tanks for your help
mcallegari

The RPi image is based on Raspbian Jessie, so I'd say it is possible.
I've never tried myself to setup a hotspot with the onboard wifi module, but I indeed did it with a quite cheap Realtek USB WiFi
Fendo

Ok, after 2 days (and long/short nights) i dont get it to work.
Setting up the hotspot with the intern controller is no problem. But i never at all get an signal to the RPi.
Not OSC, SSH or any other signal.

Tomorrow i try it with the hotspot on my tablet. Lets see if it works.
Fendo

After a new half a day work i solved all issues and it runs perfect now.

I now have:
- Full access from the hotspot hostet from the RPi3 with the internal wifi controller
- SSH access to Raspbian
- Access to the QLC+ web interface
- Full support of any OSC app on my smartphone and tablet

At the moment i only tested it with some simple LED Par. At Xmas i have a big event and will test it with much more lights and mhs.

Thx to Massimo Callegari for the great Raspbian version of QLC+
siegmund

Because this can be a typical use case for the Raspberry Pi 3, could you please be so kind to share how you finally achieved your goals?
At least I know about a working tutorial for setting up a WLAN Hotspot on the Raspberry Pi 2, but it's in German. So I'm sure the community really would appreciate a small "How to" on this :)
Fendo

Hey Siegmund,

i will see if i find some time at the weekend to write one.
I think i first write it in german and then translate it to english.
siegmund

Thanks you for considering!
If you need any help, just let me know (I'm German, too).
GregMcC

If it were possible Massimo might be able to produce an Raspberry Pi 3 image based on your work - That would be just fantastic. ( Especially as 4.10.5 has just been released on other platforms )
siegmund

As far as i know, the current image should already support the Raspberry Pi 3.
Fendo

I think he want an image directly with hotspot activated
siegmund

Ah, sorry I didn't get it.
Don't think if it is a good idea to have it enabled by default, though this could also be a security risk but if you share your configurations this maybe can be pre-configured in the image.
Fendo

I working on the tutorial. I think i have both versions until friday
GregMcC

Releasing an image back to Massimo would be brilliant - that would be the only correct route - as Massimo has put a lot of extra work in to get onto the Raspberry platform ( and it is thus only available to users who have contributed a small amount of money ).
Fendo

Hey Greg, this idea is not so bad.
I will ask Massimo if he want the guide exclusive for the people who buy the image.
I think its not the best idea that it is an normal implemented feature of the Image.

By the way, it is also interesting for all who build the QLC+ on a normal Raspbian OS by there self.

Edit: Ok, cant ask him. He disabled private messages. :D If you read this Massimo contact me. ;)
mcallegari

Lately I noticed that people in this forum tend to take decisions for me.
Thing is that most of the times users have a partial view/knowledge of QLC+ and they only aim for their specific usage case.
On the other hand, I have the full picture of the software and all the topics around it, that sometimes are not even exposed here or in the website, because I am silently following them.
Plus, I hold the history of the project, and all the issues that have been raised in the last 4 years.
There's a reason for most of the decisions I take for this project, so it would be nice if users try to trust me.

That said, the RPi image provided by me aims to be generic and to cover most users needs.
The onboard WiFi interface has been introduced for the first time on the RPi 3 in February this year, so no, I won't enable something that won't work on RPi Zero, 1 and 2.
Also, I'm not a big fan of WiFi in public places. Considered the plethora of wireless signals that are in the air nowadays, I believe the good old ethernet cable is the way to go for a reliable installation.

Anyway, online there's plenty of tutorials about how setting up a hotspot on a RPi. You just need to Google for it.
Examples:
http://elinux.org/RPI-Wireless-Hotspot
https://frillip.com/using-your-raspberr ... h-hostapd/
https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/download ... -point.pdf

What I do, is to pre-install the necessary packages to make it easier, such as hostapd, wpa-supplicant, etc.
The rest is up to the users needs. I can't write a tutorial for every single thing, especially if it doesn't concern QLC+ (like setting up a wifi AP)

@GregMcC
Releasing an image back to Massimo would be brilliant - that would be the only correct route
What does this even mean ? I should be provided with my image with a hotspot on ? Sounds quite ridicolous to me.

@Fendo
As explained above, there's no big secret in setting up a wifi AP on the RPi, as all the information is available online after a brief research. No need to contact me in private or whatever.
If you want, you can share a tutorial for less experienced (or lazy) users in the Community section of this forum, like other users did for other topics.
If you come up with a PDF or something pretty structured, I can even share it in the QLC+ website or in the Blog section of this forum.

But please: don't make it bigger than it is.
Fendo

I fully agree to you Massimo.

There is nothing magic to set up an hotspot on a debian based distro, and there are a lot how-to's for doing that.
If you invest a few min. you can find all you need to do it by yourself. But there are some just little things that
are different for the QLC+ RPi version. For those who arn't that familiar with linux based systems its a little help
to get it to work.

I think i start a new topic for the how-to (when it is finished) so everyone who needs help can contact me there.