Using SPI to Control WS2812b

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
ethanm3

Hello!

I purchased a Raspberry Pi in order to control a matrix of WS2812b pixels using QLC+. I am running into some issues right now, and would love some pointers:

1) I downloaded an am running the RPi QLC+ program - in my workspace I go to Inputs/Outputs and the SPI Plugin only says "none" under Devices. and has no options for Output. When I click the Configure icon, or double click SPI, the option is only to control transmission frequency. I How do I enable SPI so that I can control my pixels?

2) Am I limited by DMX universes? What I mean is, since my LED matrix is over 170 pixels it takes up more than one universe - can I still run this line of pixels through just one output, or do I need multiple outputs in order control my lights?

Using RPi 3. Installed QLC+ for RPi version 4.11.0
Matrix is 19 pixels width, 14 pixels height

Thank you!

-Ethan
Ethan Moses
Founder / Manager
Savory Lighting Design
www.savorylights.com
mcallegari

ethanm3

I saw this thread, and downloaded that library only my RPi, but I still do not see any options for SPI output on my QLC+ Input/Output screen. Am I missing a piece? Am I able to use QLC or just scripts using this library?

Thank you.
Ethan Moses
Founder / Manager
Savory Lighting Design
www.savorylights.com
mcallegari

Are you using my image ?
Cause on my RPi 3 I correctly see SPI CS0 as output device.
0perat0r

Well, Massimo's RPi image may be able to drive the raspberry's SPI pins. However, your problem will be, that WS8212b doesn't speak SPI (same for WS8211 and WS8212).

I implemented a solution based on the defaul Raspbian image using python and bit banging.
It works as an ArtNet client in the local network.

Have a look here: https://keawe.de/en/led-matrix