Request a fixture definition here
tonyschuite

Hi There,

I would like a definition of the Color Source PAR

https://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/Dow ... 0737478060

kind regards
Tony
bleurose

I took a stab at this. It is a pretty simple fixture. The SPOT and PAR are identical, five channels, Intensity, R, G, B and Strobe. There is nothing in the write-up about how the strobe values work so I am assuming it is a "strobe speed" control, from 0-255. If this is wrong, then the fixture definition will need to be changed. I also didn't quite understand the ETC statement that "The fixture listens to RGB but interprets color output using the full RGB-L array. It is not possible to control a single group of LEDs; i.e. only blue.". I assume this is ust a convoluted way of saying that the fixture uses "merged LEDs" not individual R, G and B. The end result is essentially the same, you adjust the RGB color levels and add intensity and you get whatever color you expect from that combination of RGB values.

I did not do a separate SPOT version because you should be able to use the same profile for both fixtures. If you want the "name" to be different, you can just copy it and change the name.
Attachments
ETC-ColorSource-PAR.qxf
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
tonyschuite

Awesome!

These spots have a color processor inside that interprets the colors requested and adds Lime to broaden the spectrum.
The line in the manual means you cannot control the separate Lime LED. Just RGB.
Not sure, but I think it also has amber in it.

These definitions work great. Thanks!
And Yes, I am adding the spot definition as a separate definition. Works better with understanding what spots I am adressing.

The strobe is indeed a Speed value.
bleurose

Yeah, that comment is VERY unclear. These units use a "merged" LED (8 12w or 15w LEDs I think) for the light, and as you note, there are three controllable channels and an extra channel for Lime but like you said it appears to be completely "internal". I have some RGBW and some RGBA leds that give me control over all four channels. I think the ETCs are MUCH better color quality than the ones I have (which are ADJ, Chauvet and some chinese knock-off brand). Which isn't surprising as they cost about 10x as much money LOL!

If I could afford ETC lights, I expect I would be affording an ETC Obsession or other high end board that would make programming sweet and easy :-) I use QLC+ precisely because I can't afford ETC lights (or boards)!

Jon
bleurose

LOL, thought you might get a kick out of this comment from ETC:
For so long, venues with limited budgets that wanted to update their lighting systems with LEDs had only one option: flimsy, noisy and undependable fixtures with incredibly limited, fake-looking color that drifted as soon as they were turned on. Now ETC has a new solution: the ColorSource™ PAR , an LED luminaire developed by color experts and backed by ETC's industry-leading service department. Schools, houses of worship, small theaters and other venues with tight budgets now have a way to affordably upgrade to LEDs, without losing out on beautiful color.

Since ETC began developing LED luminaires, the company has spent a lot of time experimenting with color, inventing LED products whose color capabilities go well beyond what is available on the market today. ETC has applied this expertise to the ColorSource PAR, which uses a proportionate blend of red, green, blue and lime LED emitters to produce a richer, more natural light output than other budget LED fixtures. "It's so easy to see difference in light quality," says ETC Fixtures Product Manager Jim Uphoff. "The ColorSource PAR is in another league when it comes to color, delivering the most beautiful light that a four-color LED can produce - all without breaking the bank."
"without breaking the bank"?!! :-) :D The ColorSource PAR costs $800 and the ColorSource Spot costs $1500 :-) We put in four Chauvet Intimidator 350 spots that are moving light fixtures for less than $800 each and we added 8 moving PAR washes with RGBW for a total of $800. THAT is "without breaking the bank". ETC is for people with $$$$ :-)
bleurose

I agree that the ETC color is better than the Chauvet/ADJ stuff as well as the knock-offs from Asia, but we deal with it and it works nicely if not perfectly. And WAY WAY WAY cheaper :-)
boxy

I've posted both fixtures separately to Github as they have different physical properties.

Only place that can afford these are London/New York theatres and the Sidney Opera House. At those prices they're probably hand made.
siegmund

Thanks for sharing!
I've added the other modes and physical dimensions to the definition.
Attachments
ETC-ColorSource-PAR.qxf
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 169 times