[feature request] Moving heads lock

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
michilson

Hey guys 'm not sure if this is currently a option or not I can't find reference to it.

I have several moving heads and I'd like to position them in a way that they spot light a single object like a Singer or Bride. Then move them together maintaining the point as close as possible.

Most packages have some sort of lock feature where once you position each light you can lock the Pan and tilt at that point and move them together I realize that if that movement reaches the limit of the fixture it will stop moving that fixture.

Can we please get this feature added to a XY-pad or can someone explain how to do this if it currently already exists.

Thanks
Baylink

This is complicated to do, because how you adjust the necessary pan and tilt values for one mover to others depends on the physical hang, even if they're all straight across a truss -- remember all that trignometry from high school that you never use? This is when you use it. :-)

This would probably require core support, cause the only practical way I can see to set it up is to have the core define a grid on the floor, and have you steer all the movers' spots independently to each of it's 5 or 9 points, and then have it memorize and figure out position from the pan and tilt of each fixture.

I wouldn't think you could do that in a scripting language.
michilson

Well I realize that the trig is different between each light and the spot on the floor.

But if the lock enables a code that allows the DMX values to be progressive and not absolute I think it would then behave in a matter as I described.

Where the outter mos fixtures will pan together until they reach there limits.

Then if you go into your X-Y pads you can edit the Range sliders to limit the fixtures that are moving to far.

The biggest hurdle i think is making the DMX pan and Tilt more of a progressive where it takes the value it currently has then adds the changes and doesn't just jump back to it's standard value.

But this is my thoughts. I am not a expert on Code or how to make that happen. However Most lighting software has a way of locking fixtures together so they move together when positioned to a point on the floor.