Working with multiple monitors / cmd line

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
lucas

Hello,

first of all: Great job! I really love QLC+ and use it as my main controlling software, mostly in the range of theatre lighting.

In some live-environments I carry around my Surface Pro 3 (a touchscreen notebook) and an external monitor, which is a touchscreen. Currently, I use QLC+ with the virtual console on the external monitor and have some "nice-to-have-things" like an ipcam-image on my Surface screen. It would be great for me to use both monitors with QLC+, for example virtual console on one and simple desk on another screen, or a thing like two virtual consoles (on each screen one) - maybe this is an idea for upcoming versions?

And, I know, it was already asked here, but - sometimes I really miss a CMD line for quickly defining cuesteps...much quicker than with the mouse.

Just a few ideas, maybe some helpful ideas.

Thanks!

Best,
Lucas
plugz

Hello,
lucas wrote: It would be great for me to use both monitors with QLC+, for example virtual console on one and simple desk on another screen, or a thing like two virtual consoles (on each screen one) - maybe this is an idea for upcoming versions?
Have you had a look at the web interface: http://qlcplus.org/docs/webinterface.html ?
lucas wrote:And, I know, it was already asked here, but - sometimes I really miss a CMD line for quickly defining cuesteps...much quicker than with the mouse.
Probably not coming before QLC+5 is out.
Baylink

Lucas: do you think you could find a few minutes to talk to you about exactly how you address traditional theatrical light control using qlc+?

How you lay out your control surface, and what you do with your cues?

I'm just diving into that water myself, and I don't know the software well enough yet to be able to mate its model to the model I have of theater lighting, coming from an HTP background - I haven't been doing it long enough to have worked with LTP consoles yet.
lucas

Basically, it's about faster working: entering "12/17 @ 100" on a patched keyboard just leads to 100% activated channels 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17. Do you know the console concept of the GrandMA? Going into this direction would be great. Not using the mouse, but using (for example with AutoHotKey) patched keyboards for creating scenes and chasers is much easier than the current click interface.

Working with multiple monitors is relevant using sound, light and sometimes projections.

For every theatre lighting project, we have a main chaser, which has all scenes in the correct order in it, including blacks, fade times and so on. The goal is to just click "Next" during the play. If we are using projections or audio, we mainly have buttons or shows for that purpose.
lightweaver

I agree - I do miss the command line from mainstream consoles (ETC, MA, Hog, etc)
That being said, I have found a work around using the DMX keypad in the webserver.

The webserver keypad gives direct control of DMX channels. If your rig is large enough to warrant softpatching, or you want to give no-sequential channel number to your lights (eg. Front light 1 > 24; backlight 31 > 44; etc), you can achieve this via DMX loopback. I have found leaving universe 1 for control channels (ie, the numbers you will control via the keypad), and then patch everything on universe 2 and beyond.
Insert VC fader widgets for each intensity channel and map to the loopback channel you want to control it.

It's a bit of work, but does the job.
Krauthaus

Nice, I will give this a try. I also really miss the console^^