Windows 10 won't open saved workspace

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
rjhazeld

Have just acquired an Entec usb pro mk11 and installed QLC+ v4.10.2b. QLC+ looks as though it may well be just right for my purposes but have a crucial problem. Having saved a workspace I cannot re-open it later. I have tried double clicking the workspace file saved in the QLC+ folder or elsewhere but QLC opens with New Workspace rather than the saved one. I have also tried running qlcplus from the command line using the -o parameter without success.
Being new to the program I don't know whether it is intentional or not but there is no 'open file' icon on the toolbar.
So my question is how do I open a saved workspace? Apologies if I have missed something simple.
Whilst asking questions is it possible to upload the 'show' to the pro mkII or generate a file that can be uploaded using Enttec's pro manager ?
janosvitok

The icon is there, check he onlinehelp or tooltips.

If the workspace can't be opened,please attach it here for analysis.
rjhazeld

Doh!! I thought the correct icon was for printing!! Works from that thankfully.

Thanks for the quick response. Just need to discover a way of uploading a show into the pro mkII or generating a file to upload separately and I have all I need to rely on QLC+ for our village hall lighting control.
mcallegari

I still don't understand how this icon can be taken for a printing icon
document_open.png
document_open.png (5.43 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
This is the icon to print ! (which QLC+ doesn't even include)
Printer.png
Printer.png (6.81 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
rjhazeld

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away.

At the scale in the post it does indeed look very different to a printer icon but at small scale when it is a completely new to the user easy to mistake, in my view. The help file is a little unusual in that the key to the icons is behind a link which looked to me like an underlined heading - most links cause the destination to appear as a tooltip when the cursor hovers over them. Having said that once you have become familiar with the basics it isn't an issue.

There is much to like in QLC+ and I have been able to get a pair of lights working on a test basis very easily and see how a more complex setup will be easy to use, even for those unfamiliar with dmx controls. I am working on a system for a small village hall which is let out for events so we needed to be able to generate a basic lighting environment as well as provide the means for more complex lighting requirements for small stage shows. It sounds as though version 5 with the ability to use an Android mobile will tick the last box on the wish list.
Freddy_H

Hello,

I had similar issue with W10 : after installing QLC+ when clicking (single or double, depending on your settings) on a workspace, QLC+ starts, but the workspace is not opened.
Of course, opening the file can be done by clicking the open workspace button (to be honest, at first I also thought it was a print button :oops: , until I hovered the mouse over it).

If you try to associate qlcplus.exe with the .qxw file extension, open by clicking doesn't work either (lacking -o before the filename most likely).

This is how I solved it:

1) If you have been trying file associations, first you need to reset all of your standard apps to their default value in order to remove any QLC associations.
  Resetting all standard apps to default is the only solution I have found to remove standard app for a given file extention.
  Unfortunately this will also reset to default all your other file associations also, so you will have to set them again.
  The reason why you have to do this is because there are 2 levels of file associaton: at user level and at system level.
  Settings at user level ALWAYS have priority over settings at system level.
  As associating an extention with an app is at user level any 'errors' in there will override the solution in step 2 (which is at system level).

2) Make file associations at system level
  Run command prompt as Administrator
  Enter the following commands (supposing C:\QLC+ is your installation folder):

Code: Select all

ftype QLC.workspace="C:\QLC+\qlcplus.exe" -o "%1"
ftype QLC.fixture="C:\QLC+\qlcplus-fixtureeditor.exe" -o "%1"
assoc .qxw=QLC.workspace
assoc .qxf=QLC.fixture
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
  After this, clicking on a workspace (or a fixture) file will launch the corresponding program and open the file.

A lot of programs (like VLC) depend on command line options for their assciated file extentions to open properly.
Usually they have this association at system level built-in in their installation procedure.
Maybe something to verify in/add to QLC+ windows installation procedure ?

Freddy
bantruong

Feedback from a newbie: yes I couldn't figure out how to open my saved workspace at first thinking the Open icon was a printer icon.
This thread is old, but the "Printer icon" is still current so I posted.
mcallegari

What about reading the documentation?
https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN/mainwindow.html