Join the QLC+ QA program !

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
mcallegari

It is a fact that recent versions of QLC+ had a troublesome release process.
This is getting embarassing and I cannot accept to rush to fix things one day after I release a software supposed to be stable.
Above all, because releasing a new QLC+ version on 5 platforms costs me about half of a day.
I tried to produce as many test versions as I could, but apparently they went ignored by the most.
We have automated builds, automated tests, but still, disasters happen.

The problem:
The QLC+ project is maintained by 3 developers, dedicating their spare time in between a daily job and personal matters.
Moreover, developers like to develop and their usage cases don't always cover other users' cases.
Since QLC+ is a complex software that can be used in a wide variety of ways, there is the unfortunate possibility that new developments or fixes cause regressions in some areas and we don't realize it until QLC+ reaches the masses.

The solution:
Like most software companies do, I'd like to create a team of users helping to improve the Quality Assurance of the QLC+ project.
Release candidate versions will be provided to the team a couple of weeks before the planned release date, and QLC+ will not be released until the majority of the team gives the green light on the new version.

Being part of the QA program means being part of the QLC+ project, and giving an important contribution to the project. Not less than what developers, fixture reviewers or translators do.
We never push anyone to do anything, but who joins this initiative should give a minimum of availability in a mid-long term. When you want to retire, there's no problem. Just be clear and transparent.

Joining is quite simple. Just reply to this post, declaring:
- the operating system you use and the version
- since how long you use QLC+. This is just an indication to understand how well you might know the software
- the devices you own and that you can test with QLC+ (examples: DMX USB adapters, MIDI controllers, software controllers, etc)
- briefly, your QLC+ usage (examples: theatre, synced shows, live performances, etc..)
- briefly, the lighting equipment on which you have a certain availability
- an estimation of your available time in a week from 1 to 7. 1 means you can dedicate (let's say) a day of the weekend, 7 means you work daily with QLC+ and testing is not a problem at all
- if you have periods of the year busier than others, please indicate it as well, so I know the availability of everyone

What I'm looking for here is a real contribution to the project, so I will not accept people that just want to have the latest version before others, and then don't actually test it.

This is a pretty serious matter and you should join it knowing that the only thing the project can offer is your name on it and a big THANK YOU for your dedication.

Looking forward to hear from you. Once you reply to this post I will send you a message through the forum to exchange our email addresses.

Thanks in advance to everyone interested in this initiative !
karrika

Hi Massimo,

I will be improving the lights and sounds of my Raspberry Pi installation during 2016. Planning to buy new lights and trying out all kind of remote control things. So testing new development is also ok.

- OS = your Raspberry Pi image
- used QLC+ for more than a year
- Eurolite USB-DMX512-PRO Interface (sorry for not finding a Mac to test this, I have put up announcements in local Mac forums - but no replies), uDMX dongles
- QLC+ used only for theatre Rampfeber productions
- Stairville LED Par56 MKII RGBW, Eurolite LED Flood Light 252 RGB 19°, Stairville DDS-405 DMX Dimmer & Switcher, Botex DSP-405 - Multi-Switch
- level 1
- My busy period is usually June-July as our performances are in summer. We are using the QLC+ then.

For setting up the lights I use Ubuntu 64 bit 14.04 LTS laptop with the Eurolite USB-DMX512-PRO Interface. The show will be run with Raspberry Pi 2 and DiscoHAT stacked with Cirrus Logic Audio Card (all music and sound effects). As they are so cheap I intend to have a spare setup in case the magic blue smoke escapes. The spare is also at home making testing easier.
sbenejam

I'm a Linux user for a long time. I am also a lighting technician in amateur theater companies for 30 years. A couple of years ago I bought a USB Enttec Pro and Nanokontrol2. Since then I've done a couple of theater performances and music concerts.

- Operating system, Ubuntu 14.10 desktops, Xubuntu 15.10 on a HP550 laptop and a Raspberry. On the laptop I can also make tests with windows operating systems in VirtualBox.
- I used QLC+ in some theater shows and musical performances of classical and modern music.
- My hardware, Enttec USB Pro, an RS-485 FTDI USB dongle, 2 Nanokontrol2, 2 USB audio interfaces, 1 Firewire audio interface Edirol FA-66, some desktops and a HP550 laptop.
- Can I test too different sound servers like jack on Linux. I have some Linux and Python skills too. ;-)
- I don't have lights or fixtures equipment but I can contact some friends to test with their fixtures.
- Availability, 2 or 3 days. On weekends I have more spare time. On weekdays in the afternoon I can make some tests or translate the program as usual.
- Normally in the summer months I have less time and availability. But I always find time for hobbies.

I want to thank the developers and collaborators to the project their good work and patience.
VeryImportantParty

Hello,
I would like to apply to help you. I have used QLC+ for a year and a half for my hobby DJ/Lighting group.
We use QLC on a variety of machines. 2 ASUS windows 10 tablets, 1 Lenovo i7 laptop with external 21" multi touchscreen Win7, and a Samsung allinone PC win10 that has a Novation Launchpad S and launch Control Xl for controls.
We use a 6 universe artnet controller over a wifi network and also have several uDMX dongles as backups. I am an avid tech fanatic with a lighting addiction. We currently run this list of lights wirelessly.
4 Chauvet Swarm 5fx
4 Chauvet Circus 2.0
16 Mini LED moving heads
2 400mw rgb lasers
1 1800mw rgb laser
4 8x10w Spider dual tilt moving heads
We have other lights but this is currently what we use. Also we have made some "bar fixtures" wich include a stage front, led surround mirror, and an external sign via the QLC rgb matrix. We use this software multiple times a week and spend a lot of time working on our files for it. I have looked into many other softwares and still like this software best, My brother is a software engineer who has helped us a lot on the network side to get our setup to where it is now.
serenss

- OSX 10.11.2 on a Macbook Pro
- A couple of weeks, so far!
- Midi Foot Controller, Generic USB->DMX.
- Synced show for a live band performance.
- 4x Lanta Fireball 64s, 4x ADJ MegaProfiles, 2x Stairville P64 10mm, 2x Acme Rovers, 2x Lanta Saturn Cuboids, 2x Equinox Taurus Lasers
- Each day for an hour or so
- Work can be sporadic, so specific availability is never certain.
gmint

Hi Massimo,

I would be happy to join the program.

- the operating system you use and the version
OSX - Latest version

- since how long you use QLC+. This is just an indication to understand how well you might know the software
Since QLC

- the devices you own and that you can test with QLC+ (examples: DMX USB adapters, MIDI controllers, software controllers, etc)
Several DMX USB Pros (and a couple of DMX USB Open units which I will probably get rid of soon since they do not play nicely with OS X now)

- briefly, your QLC+ usage (examples: theatre, synced shows, live performances, etc..)
Bar/Nightclub install & mobile DJ/Production system

- briefly, the lighting equipment on which you have a certain availability
Chauvet Rogues R2
Chauvet Intimidator Spots
American DJ MegaPanels
Blizzard Stimul-Eyes
Martin & American DJ Hazers
Various other LED lights, DMX packs, other equipment.
MadMapper / Modul8

- an estimation of your available time in a week from 1 to 7. 1 means you can dedicate (let's say) a day of the weekend, 7 means you work daily with QLC+ and testing is not a problem at all

It greatly depends on the week, but if you need it tested, I'll test it.
TeoPortaluppi

Hi Massimo,

->Windows xp/7/10 on different systems.

->I use the lastet version in some application and older version in another application.

->4x Enttec DMX pro mk2, 1x Enttec DMX pro, Akai APC40, Samsung Tab E with QSC.

->Live performance, standalone application.

->In my club i can use the equipment when i want for any type of test, anyway i can use always this things:
- Beam 7r 230
- Eurolite TMH-10 MK2
- Laserworld EL-700GB
- Laser Beamz Blue
- Fog Machine Eurolite 1500w
- Eurolite 1500w Strobe
- some led bar
i can use another type of equipment but depends by periods

-Normaly, 4/5 but if you need to test something i can do.
cit

hi Massimo!

- OS = Windows 10 home edition
- used QLC+ for more than a year
- ENTTEC Open DMX USB and FTDI FT232 with optical isolation
- QLC+ used in theater and music venue
- a lot of
- level 1
- My busy period is usually June-August
pipolino419

I would like I could so much participate full-time. But I have enough time.
Thanks to all those who participates in it fabulous software.
Massimo is on the right way.
bssmusic

Hi Massimo et al,
I have not too much time -as everybody ;-) - but I think, I can help a little in testing (2-3 hours a week?). Since i'm user and no coder, I can only vaguely describe, what I experience. Can screenshots and video snippets help?
My systems:
- My desktop box running SuSE Leap (42.1) with QLC+ V 4.10.3 GIT for testing and developing
- A HP Mobile Workstation running Win 7 with QLC+ V 4.10.2b - we also use it for multitrack recording via Soundgrid/Reaper
- A Custom PC with Xubuntu 15.10
- I/O FX5, APC mini and a custom build ArtNet box
Sometimes we use a Botex type console as extern wing, but the development of a virtual console for a musical, which has lots of faders for direct access to the fixtures, brought me to tha Akai APCmini, which is much smaller and has more buttons :geek:
So, please tell me, what exactly You need to know, and where to look for (PM??). Some experiences I have just mentioned in my Post "Bug in 4.10.3". What I can tell for sure, is that the crashing/resetting of the heads is occuring under linux as well as under Win. The "hanging faders" under Win 4.10.2b as well as in Win 4.10.3, not in Linux64 4.10.3. Only the "green" fader in the BeamZ MHL-74 section does not respond at all to the corresponding button as his collegues do :?
siegmund

Hi Massimo,
It would be a pleasure for me to participate in this great project!

- I'm using 64Bit Xubuntu 14.04 (mainly also the later LTS releases). If needed, I could also test with 64Bit Windows 7.
- Used QLC+ only a few month and less gigs but this will definitely increase in the next year
- ArtNet->DMX interface (made by Ulrich Radig), BCF2000 MIDI controller
- using QLC+ mainly as lighting engineer in live situations
- only one Litecraft AT3 LED Par64
- lets say 3 so it's not a problem to dedicate 1 hour a day for this

Keep up the good work!
crackley

- Ubuntu 14.04 on the production machine, OSX 10.10 for offline editing
- 1 year
- DMX USB Pro MK2, Behringer BCR2000, Abelton Live
- Live band with backing tracks and synced lighting
- Par cans, and a 12 x 3 wall of RGB LED panels
- Weekly availability: 1 day
- Available year round
christianhor

Hi Maximo,
I am a teacher in electronics and I make with my students TP DMX devices installation with QLC +, particularly for configuring interfaces (USB, Ethernet) or communication (OSC). We don't organize shows.
Operating system : windows 7, Ubuntu 14.04, Opensuse 12.3
Since how long : about 2 years
Devices : Enttec DMX USB PRO, DMXKing Ultra DMX RDM Pro, DMXKing UltraDMX Micro, Enttec ODE and DMXKing eDMX1.
QLC+ usage : Installation, configuration and check of the smooth running.
Lighting equipment : the list is here.
Your available time in a week : 1
Periods : all the year except the school holidays (specialy durant the summer : july and august)
Best regards.
Christian
maly_medved

Hi Massimo,

i am a sound engineer , last 2 years i work with my light equipment. I can help you with testing a new release your soft

->My OS is now Windows xp/7/ on different systems. I can try Linux

->I use the lastet version

->2x Enttec DMX pro mk2, Novation ZeroSL MKII

->Live performance, standalone application.

->Usually i use:
- 4x Rasha Beam 32x 15W RGBAW
- 4x Eurolite TS-255
- 8x Stairville MH-x200
- 4x GLP YPOC 250 Pro
- 2x LOOK UNIQUE 2 hazer Machine
- 1x Eurolite 1500w Strobe
- 24x RASHA LED PAR 64 LED 18x 15W RGBAW
- 8x Eurolite LED PAR 64 RGB
i can use another type of equipment but depends by periods

With best regards Mirek Škop
soyellalo

- OS = Mac OS X 10.9.5 (FTDI driver off 8-) ) / Soon Lubuntu and raspberry pi.
- used QLC+ for like 3 years now
- DIY usb-dmx interface. MIDI: Launchpad Mini, Korg nano pad2 and Samson Graphite MF8 (faders)
- QLC+ used for live performance on musical shows.
- None :(
- know how to do a pretty god job in less than 1 hour.
- All year, but free if needed