Faders vs Scenes priority

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
giacomo

thanks everybody for the explanations, I was sure I was mistaking something and it's important to know your ideas about ltp channels etc.

to support Kevin, I'm on linux with 4.10.1 and I've I've the same behavior reported by him - the scene button doesn't do anything - but after your explanations I guess it's correct because the sliders are in channel mode. (curious that Plugz has it different)
plugz

mcallegari wrote: http://www.qlcplus.org/release-4.10.0.html
See "Solo Frame sliders mixing"
kevin_ross100 wrote:Hi,

I have uploaded a video to show the changes in behavior between 4.8.4, 4.8.5 and 4.10.1 the machine is running Windows 10 64bit

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uqVJ ... sp=sharing

I'm also a developer (windows stack:-)) so hate it when user's post vague error reports with no steps to reproduce! Hopefully this will be enough but if you want me to do anything else then let me know
Thanks but this is a link to the workspace file :)

giacomo wrote:to support Kevin, I'm on linux with 4.10.1 and I've I've the same behavior reported by him - the scene button doesn't do anything - but after your explanations I guess it's correct because the sliders are in channel mode. (curious that Plugz has it different)
What do you mean by "nothing happens" ?

Here's what happens when I test the button on the latest version:
sliders.gif
kevin_ross100

Sorry my bad, here is the link to the video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uqVJ ... sp=sharing
giacomo

What do you mean by "nothing happens" ?
move the faders and then push the button many times, on my pc nothing happens but the faders have the control:
like I said in my first reply, when the faders are in channel mode they keep always control over the LTP channels, inside a solo frame or not, so the test scene of Kevin can't change these parameters.
-If I'm right- It's important to know it because now the LTP rule is overwritten by faders in channel mode.
-If I'm wrong- sorry.
plugz

OK thanks for the video I see what happens now.
The behavior is not the same for me so I really don't know what to do. I'll try with 4.10.1 though, because I tested with the latest sources.

EDIT- even with 4.10.1, I don't have the same behavior as you. I don't understand :(
mcallegari

plugz wrote:The behavior is not the same for me so I really don't know what to do. I'll try with 4.10.1 though, because I tested with the latest sources.
Since 4.10.1 there's been these 2 changes but I'm not sure if they're the ones changing the behaviour you're seeing
https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/c ... fd839e1622
https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/c ... b92316b904
giacomo

maybe someone can test this file?
and please report if the result it's like mine, at this point it's important to understand if just me and Kevin have this behavior,
the next week I'll have a new little production and I'm going to use qlcplus.

- one group of sliders are in playback mode with copy of the scenes;
- one group of sliders are in channel mode;

when I try this show only the second groups of sliders -channel mode- can change the output:
if I disable the sliders in -channel mode- I still can't control the output with the other buttons/sliders;
if I delete the sliders in -channel mode- everything works as expected.

I don't have real fixtures, just watching the monitor.
linux, qlcplus 4.10.1
thanks
siegmund

giacomo wrote: when I try this show only the second groups of sliders -channel mode- can change the output:
if I disable the sliders in -channel mode- I still can't control the output with the other buttons/sliders;
Exactly the same to me with your file.
giacomo wrote: if I delete the sliders in -channel mode- everything works as expected.
I would'nt call this "as expected": Once deleted the sliders in -channel mode- I move a scene fader and the color channel goes instantly to 255. When moving another fader, the first one moves instantly to 0 and the other to 255. Similar the scene buttons only activate the channel, which was clicked last: Click red, R->255, Click green (red is still active) R->0, G->255 and so on. What is going on here? :shock:

Tested on
4.10.1 on Ubuntu 14.04
giacomo

thanks siegmund,
each scene has the other colors enabled at 0, otherwise with the actual LPT rule the fixtures values would be just fixed at 255 after 3 button/fader selections.
About the fade I guess that it's the right behavior: the fixture is set with the channels in LTP mode and with "can fade" selected, but as I understood it works only for fade times.

to Plugz,
I understand your LTP principle but we should consider first a real situation and it makes things much more complicates: if one has to improvise fast with LPT channels, actually with qlcplus he has to know in advance all the show before programming few simple steps.
eg. try to do something with this simple file of just 3 colors, each scene just controls 1 attribute, it's impossible.
I had to add a 0_levels scene (but then we should have 3 of them for each channel - and if we multiply this for few fixtures and few other parameters it becomes too confusing).
Personally I think that channels should follow the LTP rules within only the active functions, that when the last controlling function is disabled the fixture parameter should default to 0 (in qlcplus because we don't have default definitions, anyway usually 0 values are good), one can always program and activate a "custom default scene" in the case he needs it.
kevin_ross100

Just to say I have tried it with the latest test build (20151028) and the behaviour is the same as 4.10.1 release.
plugz

kevin_ross100 wrote: Just to say I have tried it with the latest test build (20151028) and the behaviour is the same as 4.10.1 release.
I'm on another computer than the one I tested with before, and I now have the same behavior as you. There must be something wrong with my setup.

Anyway, I'm looking for when the behavior changed (the 3 different behaviors that can be observed in your video).
Deece

I also have the same results.
Buttons and 'copy scenes' sliders have no effect.
Only channel_sliders work.

Also if I go to Functions tab and selecting a scene adjusting the sliders has no effect. The chan value always returns instantly to whatever the VC channel_sliders are set to.

I have raised this issue in other posts. :)

My conclusion was :
Sliders in Level mode always send/Tx their value constantly. So if a chan is in LTP it will always see the slider value.
When in Playback mode, the value is sent/Tx only when the slider is moved.
I also noted that when a new slider is created, on the same chan, in Level mode, that slider takes control. The first slider now does not work.
This seems, to me, as evidence that sliders in Level mode never stop sending their values. (Even if at 0)

Hope this helps.

Qlc 4.10.1 Mint 17.2 (ubuntu 14.04)

Ps @ Massimo.
My problem with the LTP/HTP buttons (in fixtures) not being refreshed on screen was down to MATE . Kde and Kcfe work fine.
janosvitok

Deece wrote:Sliders in Level mode always send/Tx their value constantly.
I have noticed this as well, but didn't find time to fix it yet. What's even more wrong is that the sliders send their value
also in design mode.
plugz

I think I've found the issue.

Dirty fix:

https://github.com/plugz/qlcplus/tree/forcedltp-slider
janosvitok

That looks ok. The slider should also react to Doc::modeChanged() with (un)registerDmxSource() -- I can implement it tonight if you won't be faster :)
plugz

janosvitok wrote:That looks ok. The slider should also react to Doc::modeChanged() with (un)registerDmxSource() -- I can implement it tonight if you won't be faster :)
I won't do anything more for today, so if you're up to it, you can integrate this patch and the change to slotModeChanged() :)
plugz

Deece

sry Plugz, Janosvistok, I've been away.
Thanks for changes...I'll try and have a look over the weekend.
Deece

Looking good, ty. All seems to be ok for me.

Just one small 'bug'.
If I change a chan from HTP to LTP, then back to HTP the chan gets locked at the highest value.
Close the workspace and reload , all works fine again.

eg
Load Fixture (Generic RGB). Create a Slider in VC, Level, Red chan. Set to Operate. Slider controls chan Up/Down. Working.
Back to Design Mode.
Fixtures, set Red chan to LTP. VC Operate Mode. Slider controls chan Up/Down. Working.
Back to Design Mode.
Fixtures, set Red back to HTP. VC Operate Mode. Slider controls chan only Up. Can not set chan back to lower level or 0(zero).
Simple Desk can control chan.
Save Workspace. Close Workspace, then re-load. All works again.

Using compiled source from 4.10.2 GIT, linux mint
plugz

Deece wrote:Looking good, ty. All seems to be ok for me.

Just one small 'bug'.
If I change a chan from HTP to LTP, then back to HTP the chan gets locked at the highest value.
Close the workspace and reload , all works fine again.

eg
Load Fixture (Generic RGB). Create a Slider in VC, Level, Red chan. Set to Operate. Slider controls chan Up/Down. Working.
Back to Design Mode.
Fixtures, set Red chan to LTP. VC Operate Mode. Slider controls chan Up/Down. Working.
Back to Design Mode.
Fixtures, set Red back to HTP. VC Operate Mode. Slider controls chan only Up. Can not set chan back to lower level or 0(zero).
Simple Desk can control chan.
Save Workspace. Close Workspace, then re-load. All works again.

Using compiled source from 4.10.2 GIT, linux mint
Hello,

I tried to reproduce this but did not run into this issue.

Can you retest with latest sources ? Thanks