[HEADS UP] Help needed to test incoming version 4.10.0

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
mcallegari

gmint wrote:Like I said though, it does appear as if the DMX Pro is working (and moreover, without the necessity of the FTDI Driver Control program) which is great.
Well this is great news indeed. I thought you were still referring to Yosemite.
gmint wrote:With respect to OS X, yes, yes, I know your feelings :D but I'll tell you, I've never spent as much time as when I try to build something from scratch on Debian only to find that there are 25 dependencies which each have 25 more dependancies of which at least one will be totally unsupported on my architecture. I'll be happy to continue using my non-serious OS to actually answer my emails instead of spending my day building a desktop environment and an email client ;)
Point taken :)
I admit that building on Linux is not always easy. Especially if packages are not well done. (hardcoded paths, manual intervention required, etc..)
But building is a corner case on a OS, and most likely one should never do that, but instead install prebuilt applications via the provided package system (Software center in Ubuntu)
My point with Apple is related to how the OS itself does (not) work, from a user perspective.
Another example is the ElectroTAS adapter. When I plug it on my Mac is not even recognized because they used non-ordinary USB VID/PID.
It works perfectly on Linux, so now that I have realized this, I need to retract the OSX support for that adapter.
I just don't understand how this "close ecosystem" policy can help Apple. Closing too much simply doesn't make things to work.
gmint

mcallegari wrote:
gmint wrote:Like I said though, it does appear as if the DMX Pro is working (and moreover, without the necessity of the FTDI Driver Control program) which is great.
Well this is great news indeed. I thought you were still referring to Yosemite.
gmint wrote:With respect to OS X, yes, yes, I know your feelings :D but I'll tell you, I've never spent as much time as when I try to build something from scratch on Debian only to find that there are 25 dependencies which each have 25 more dependancies of which at least one will be totally unsupported on my architecture. I'll be happy to continue using my non-serious OS to actually answer my emails instead of spending my day building a desktop environment and an email client ;)
Point taken :)
I admit that building on Linux is not always easy. Especially if packages are not well done. (hardcoded paths, manual intervention required, etc..)
But building is a corner case on a OS, and most likely one should never do that, but instead install prebuilt applications via the provided package system (Software center in Ubuntu)
My point with Apple is related to how the OS itself does (not) work, from a user perspective.
Another example is the ElectroTAS adapter. When I plug it on my Mac is not even recognized because they used non-ordinary USB VID/PID.
It works perfectly on Linux, so now that I have realized this, I need to retract the OSX support for that adapter.
I just don't understand how this "close ecosystem" policy can help Apple. Closing too much simply doesn't make things to work.
Oh you mean the package manager that's working so well on Ubuntu (as mentioned in this forum) :D Just kidding, of course, please don't take any offense, I'm just joking around with you. In all actuality, I do understand your gripe with this as I'm currently wrestling with a couple of video cards that were working fine in OS X 10.10.2 and were completely disabled with no warning under 10.10.3 (and I'm sure it's much more significant on the developer end of things). But that said, there are also a whole lot of advantages that come with a closed ecosystem, especially on the user's side. I mean surely, you cannot deny that there are some very significant advantages to the position that iOS is in compared to Android when it comes to fragmentation of the user base. Nevertheless this really isn't the place for that discussion, I suppose.

All that aside, I'm testing 4.10.10 now and so far, so good. There is one minor issue that I will note which is, try as I might, I cannot get QLC+ to honor the preference file settings for simpleconsole/channelsperpage

I don't think that this is specific to 4.10.0, but I thought I would mention it.
mcallegari

gmint wrote:All that aside, I'm testing 4.10.10 now and so far, so good. There is one minor issue that I will note which is, try as I might, I cannot get QLC+ to honor the preference file settings for simpleconsole/channelsperpage
Yep. This is the thread you're looking for: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8846
In particular this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8846&start=10#p38615
gmint

mcallegari wrote:
gmint wrote:All that aside, I'm testing 4.10.10 now and so far, so good. There is one minor issue that I will note which is, try as I might, I cannot get QLC+ to honor the preference file settings for simpleconsole/channelsperpage
Yep. This is the thread you're looking for: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8846
In particular this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8846&start=10#p38615
Whelp, I tried for about 20 minutes and I still can't get it working. Guess I'll live with that minor annoyance...
Deece

I have a problem with Ubuntu binary.
Qlcplus-qt4-git Ubuntu 14.04

Trying to load the direct package at the bottom of the page ... all packages are only 6.4K in size. Normaly 8M or more.

When it installs, it installs only a few bits of documentation.
mcallegari

Deece wrote:I have a problem with Ubuntu binary.
Trying to load the direct package at the bottom of the page ... all packages are only 6.4K in size. Normaly 8M or more.
You're right. Bad story :(
Gonna look into it. Thanks for reporting
mcallegari

Deece wrote:I have a problem with Ubuntu binary. Qlcplus-qt4-git Ubuntu 14.04
Packages should be fine now. Please test.
Deece

mcallegari wrote:
Package manager runs install but then does nothing..., and nothing is actually installed. Strange...
mcallegari

Deece wrote:
mcallegari wrote:
Package manager runs install but then does nothing..., and nothing is actually installed. Strange...
This might be the reason:

Code: Select all

> sudo dpkg -i qlcplus-qt4-git_4.10.0.20150928.f381668_amd64.deb 
(Reading database ... 284509 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack qlcplus-qt4-git_4.10.0.20150928.f381668_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking qlcplus-qt4-git (4.10.0.20150928.f381668) ...
dpkg: error processing archive qlcplus-qt4-git_4.10.0.20150928.f381668_amd64.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/qlcplus-fixtureeditor', which is also in package qlcplus 4.9.2.git.1442578011.095d296
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 qlcplus-qt4-git_4.10.0.20150928.f381668_amd64.deb
Basically you should uninstall any previous version. Names conflict
Deece

yes, that fixed it. Thanks. I can can install. Now to play.... :)
Ovis

mcallegari wrote:Thanks everyone for your feedbacks !
Maybe El Capitan will work better....or worse. We'll only know in less than a week.
Just found on Enttec forum:
The upcoming OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" release (expected around 30 September) is not compatible with current releases of DMXIS and D-Pro.

El Capitan breaks communications between DMXIS/D-Pro and all Enttec USB hardware devices. The FTDI Driver Control Utility cannot be used to repair the problem.

New releases of both DMXIS & D-Pro will be required to support El Capitan - until these are available, do not upgrade your Mac!
MBP 13 i5 8 GB OS X El Capitan
ENTTEC PRO Mk2
AKAI APCmini

Mihai Andrei

Hi

I'd like to add in the EFX moving heads editing drawings with mouse or create from scratch a design of movements and if possible, perhaps more important than before, moving the drawing with the mouse, and zoom buttons plus and minus
thank you
mcallegari

Mihai Andrei wrote:I'd like to add in the EFX moving heads editing drawings with mouse or create from scratch a design of movements and if possible, perhaps more important than before, moving the drawing with the mouse, and zoom buttons plus and minus
Excuse me but this is not the right place to request new features.
This is here to gather test results on the OP versions.
Please create a new topic for that.
mcallegari

The upcoming OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" release (expected around 30 September) is not compatible with current releases of DMXIS and D-Pro.
El Capitan breaks communications between DMXIS/D-Pro and all Enttec USB hardware devices. The FTDI Driver Control Utility cannot be used to repair the problem.
New releases of both DMXIS & D-Pro will be required to support El Capitan - until these are available, do not upgrade your Mac!
Well done Apple, again !
Instead of fixing what's broken, they even break more things.
I would really like to see the face of the developer that decided to call "AppleUSBFTDI" a driver that doesn't really work as it should with FTDI devices.
And then, slowly, clap my hands to him.
Maybe Apple is planning to make their own FTDI DMX USB adapter, and OSX will work only with it. It will cost only $800. :D
alegrechi

mcallegari wrote:
Maybe Apple is planning to make their own FTDI DMX USB adapter, and OSX will work only with it. It will cost only $800. :D
iDMX !? I would definitely buy it ! :D (kidding)
bestdani

I think I've found a bug relating EFX in RGB mode:
The smallest possible interval of an rgb channel is about 6 (sometimes 5) which causes visible steps for slowly running rgb efx.

This video shows the issue, the pan tilt device is also a affected by the efx to check / demonstrate that this is not caused by a lagging system for instance.

Are rgb EFX also supposed to work in relative mode?
mcallegari

bestdani wrote:I think I've found a bug relating EFX in RGB mode:
The smallest possible interval of an rgb channel is about 6 (sometimes 5) which causes visible steps for slowly running rgb efx.
This video shows the issue, the pan tilt device is also a affected by the efx to check / demonstrate that this is not caused by a lagging system for instance.
Are rgb EFX also supposed to work in relative mode?
Thanks for reporting, but you omitted to tell us which EFX preset you used and which parameters you changed (x, y, width, height, etc)
Even better if you can share a simple workspace to obtain the results of your video.
perceval

I just gave the 4.10 a spin.

I reactivated the Ftdi driver and started 4.10.

I had to reassign my audio and USB Pro interface.

But there was something peculiar. I went to the Simple Desk, and when I moved some sliders, there was an initial delay to things happening.
Now, the peculiar thing was, as time went by, delay would increase. As I started QLC+ 4.10. initial delay was about 3 seconds. A minute later, it was about 15 second. Two minutes later, it was over 30 seconds delay between moving a slider, and getting lights.

I'm on a hackintosh, running Apple OS X 10.

I removed the Ftdi driver and went back to QLC+ 4.9 and all was smooth and timely again.
mcallegari

perceval wrote:I'm on a hackintosh, running Apple OS X 10.
You do know that hackintosh is not a proper OSX system, right ?
Also, OSX 10.what ? As of today there are like 11 versions of 10.x

Anyway if you want QLC+ 4.10.0 to behave like 4.9.x then disable the Apple FTDI driver. You will see "Driver in use: libFTDI"
perceval

mcallegari wrote:
perceval wrote:I'm on a hackintosh, running Apple OS X 10.
You do know that hackintosh is not a proper OSX system, right ?
Also, OSX 10.what ? As of today there are like 11 versions of 10.x

Anyway if you want QLC+ 4.10.0 to behave like 4.9.x then disable the Apple FTDI driver. You will see "Driver in use: libFTDI"
I am running 10.10.

This "hackintosh" is good enough for mixing music with loads of plugins or using VSTs, so, I'm pretty sure it's close enough! :)

I still have my 3 other Apple's own gear, including a MacBookPro, a mini and an iMac (I guess the iPad doesn't count since it can't handle QLC+)
I'll test 4.10 on my MBP to be sure.

I just wanted to share my findings as up now.