What is Function Wizard supposed to do ?

Archive of the non-categorized posts related to the QLC+ technical support.
Please do not create new threads here, instead, use the categories above !
Massimo Callegari

In QLC 3.2.2 Function Wizard was creating default/random functions for Gobos/Colors/Shutter on a Scene and Intensity for Chasers.
In the latest SVN sources of QLC, the Intensity feature has been removed.
Another thing I've noticed is that a generic dimmer has no capabilities, while in 3.2.2 all its channels were set to Intensity by default.
I think a generic dimmer could be anything, so I agree that setting all channels to Intensity is not a good idea, since it doesn't fit every user needs.

So, what is Function Wizard supposed to do ? Let's discuss about it !

There are various categories of lights supported by QLC, so it is even possible to create default Scenes/Chasers for each category.
For example, a moving head has movement capabilities and RGB (or preset colors) ones.
It would make sense to create some scenes with several colors and several positions of the head.

A static PAR, for instance, can only have colors. So the wizard will create only some Red/Green/Blue Scene.

What about shutters ?
laserandi

In the past, I used the wizard only for classic dimmer channels with PAR Lamps connected. If there are 12 channels it´s not really comfortable to program each of them manually or doing copy paste. I liked the automatic generated chasers (forward, reward, random...) and that it is possible to switch them on by a slider not only by button. There was a bug in QLC Version 3.2.2 and before described here:

But I think it was gone in QLC+ 4.0.0. -Thanks-

For moving light my favourite is the EFX Function "Movement" circle, eight...
Color, intensity, shutter im changing manually during the show, but it could be different if people want to have a autonomous light show.
NiKoyes

To me the, for the shutter example, the wizzard should create all defaults dmx ranges created in the fixture definition. Used after as default scenes to compose your collections.
So if the definition is WELL filled (open, closed, strobe slow, etc...) the wizzard should create all these scenes, but i guess it already does that nope ?
laserandi

I'm wondering that we have only 3 posts in this topic after 2 month. Is nobody using the wizard? I like this tool as I descriped in the second post.
Massimo, it would be very nice, if you could include it again in the next release of qlc+, please. Thanks a lot!
Massimo Callegari

Yeah, it seems few users need the Wizard.
Although I am thinking of doing something even more valuable...which is the "Auto Virtual Console" wizard.
After defining fixtures in a project, with just one click it should be possible to fill the Virtual Console with default buttons/sliders to control them.

What do you think ?
OddSocks

Sounds like a good idea to me.
laserandi

OK, in my case I don't need an auto generated console. Just auto generated scenes and chaser as mentioned above. Think about an 16 channel dimmer. It's a bit stupid to adjust each channel manually and to put them together to different chaser-lights. Maybe it's possible to make a simple wizard just for the dimmer.
Massimo Callegari

Yes, I understand your point, even though I still don't understand why you use dimmers. They should be used just for test purposes or for non-DMX control.
The more QLC+ knows the meaning of each channel, the more it can help you to achieve automations.
Anyway, have faith, I will take into account all the needs and find a solution for everyone :)
laserandi

I´m sure, you will find a nice solution. It´s amazing how much time you spend in this software.
I shouldn´t use dimmer for an ordinary harware dimmer-pack like DPX-610? This is not more than 6 channel intensity, controlled via DMX. I know in age of LED cans it´s a bit old-school but I don´t want to trash all my 500 W PAR 64 cans.
Massimo Callegari

Yes, I definitely spend too much time on this project ! :)

I just defined a 4.3.0 milestone for Function Wizard and Virtual Console Wizard topics
George Qualley

I'd definitely be more interested in that than the existing wizzard. Despite having an assortment of lights (simple and complex moving heads, LED washes, switch packs) I've yet to be able to use the wizard for anything productive. However, I would (in theory) be interested in an auto generated console...
NiKoyes

about the utility of the wizzard and the number of posts, i'm sure we are all "advanced" users of QLC and we use this software for specific uses, and so we don't need a wizzard.
but think about beginners, that don't know very much light fixtures, the software and furthemore the forum, these are people that will need a (function) wizzard, but i'm sure these people don't follow the discussion on the forum