RGB Matrix Fade Time Glitch

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
nedmech

Running QLC+ 4.10.2b on WinXP/Win7

I'm using a loopback to run a fader that drives the playback of a matrix. That way I can have a matrix with a short fade time for the effect, but gradually fade it in and out. But the fade time is broken in 4.10.2b. When triggered manually, the matrix fades between steps normally. But when triggered by the playback slider, the fade time seems to be ignored and the matrix steps are block-y. Additionally, even when running the matrix directly, the fade-out time seems to be ignored. It fades in just fine, but when turning it off, it snaps off immediately. For now I've had to revert back to 4.10.1. Please see the attached workspace for an example of the issue.
Attachments
Matrix_Glitch.qxw
(17.27 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
nedmech

After catching up on unread topics and GitHub issues, it looks like this might be related to a known issue:

https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/issues/758

Although I'm not sure if it explains the drop-off instead of fade-out when the Matrix is ran by itself.
plugz

Hello,

You found the associated github issue yourself :)
nedmech wrote: Although I'm not sure if it explains the drop-off instead of fade-out when the Matrix is ran by itself.
I believe this has always been the case. The fadein/fadeout time of a matrix are for the matrix step, not for the matrix itself. When stopping the matrix in the middle of a step, it won't fade out. You may have not noticed this because with the fader (when I was not broken), a slow decrease of the fader creates a virtual fade out.
nedmech

Any update on the status of https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/issues/758 ? I'd like to be able to update to newest release, but am stuck at 4.10.1 until it is fixed since smooth matrix fades are one of the main components of my usage.
nedmech

4.10.4 has been released, but I still can't upgrade because this issue still exists. The dev team does great work with their limited time and resources, so I hate to nag. But this has been broken since February with no signs of a fix. Can I get an estimate of the priority of this issue and the time expected until this is fixed?
plugz

I'm working on it.
This issue affects me too, so be assured that I want it fixed.
But the fix is not an easy one, it involves a quite big change in the engine.

Estimate of priority: It's my top priority.
Expected time: I don't know.
mcallegari

plugz wrote:But the fix is not an easy one, it involves a quite big change in the engine.
Can you please elaborate this statement ?
On GitHub you basically said it was an easy fix: :)
This can be fixed by simply ignoring overridefadein and overridefadeout.
I would like to understand what's the precise issue, cause as far as I know, a VC Slider controls the Function overall intensity, and it should affect fadein/out values proportionally.
Or am I missing something ?
nedmech

plugz wrote: Estimate of priority: It's my top priority.
Expected time: I don't know.
Thanks, David! I really appreciate the update!
plugz

This can be fixed by simply ignoring overridefadein and overridefadeout.
This is the quick-and-easy fix, but I'm planning on something bigger, that would also fix https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/issues/193 and https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/issues/445.

And also allow inheritance of intensity and fadein/fadeout time from several parents.

Basically, the implementation involves adding features to FunctionParent.

I wrote some drafts, but hadn't have much time lately to work seriously on this.
nedmech

Hi guys,

Any progress on this issue? There have been lots of improvements in QLC+ lately that I'd love to take advantage of, but the ability to have smooth matrix fades still prevents me from moving forward past 4.10.1. Thanks!
mcallegari

Hi Nathan, unfortunately no progress on this.
David started working on it but then he had other private life priorities and couldn't dedicate time to QLC+.

So either I need to fix this myself or if David is reading: please help us to move forward on this ! :)

EDIT: I have just reverted the change that caused all the evils. Please check the latest test version for Windows.
We need to spend more time on a more complex solution that covers all the cases.
nedmech

Thanks Massimo! I tested 4.11.0.9 and the fade time glitch is not present. For now, I can live with the issue that #699 was trying to address. Looking forward to finally being able to use new versions!