Monitoring button behavior when pressed

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
siegmund

Hey guys,

in this thread there was a discussion about the behavior of buttons in solo frames. After this change (or a subsequent one) I noticed the following change in behavior from previous versions:
Assume you have a button and a slider, both controlling the same scene (see workspace file for example).
  1. Move the slider upwards, the button turns yellow
  2. Click the button. Old behavior: The scene gets deactivated. New behavior: The scene gets activated at full intensity (and the button turns green)
I personally prefer the old behavior because this would be consistent and if you have an external controller attached, its LED will not distinguish between yellow and green. So if I press a button, which seems to be active at the moment on my external controller I would assume that it will get inactive, instead it now is still active after 1 press, inactive after a second one.

If you want to recover the old behavior I would suggest changing line 679 in vcbutton.cpp to:

Code: Select all

if ((state() == Active || state() == Monitoring) && !(isChildOfSoloFrame() && f->startedAsChild()))
(just tested the restoration of old behavior, not various usage cases with solo frames)

Tested with latest sources on Xubuntu 14.04 64Bit Qt5.

Regards,
siegmund
Attachments
monitoring button.qxw
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
mcallegari

Just no.

Considering your example:
Right now when the Slider is moved, it takes control over the Function intensity. The VC Button does not.
When you press a button on your controller attached to the VC Button, you're basically taking ownership of the Function with the VC Button. Therefore it turns green, to indicate what you just did.

I haven't tested the new behavior with a controller with LED feedback, but if there's one issue, it is that the LED on the controller is lit when the VC Button is in monitoring state (orange border). It shouldn't be lit at all. Only when you actually press the button.
I'll check it later today.
mcallegari

By the way, in the thread you mentioned, I asked people to test the current behavior...one month ago...and nobody replied.
So I went ahead and merged the change.
siegmund

I absolutely get the concept behind this (who has control and who doesn't). My point is, that it has been like I described all the time before the monitoring feature. Since the monitoring feature (imo) is only meant to display the current status and was not meant to change the behavior I guess the change in behavior is not what was intended.
Of course I also get you're disappointed that I didn't test (and report) earlier but I was very busy over the last few months - anyway my apologies for that!
mcallegari wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:30 am but if there's one issue, it is that the LED on the controller is lit when the VC Button is in monitoring state (orange border). It shouldn't be lit at all. Only when you actually press the button.
This is the case, if a button has an orange border, the LED on the external controller lights up. Still I think this is the correct way because the controller cannot distinguish between colors but it should be displayed that this function is running (by someone) just as it was with vc buttons before the monitoring buttons change.
bluescreen25

I have same problem . Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11636

I am now back to V 4.11.0

Regards, Ralf